It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Map of the World Found?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I also could only find it on a smattering of blogs and various russian sources mostly linking back to Pravda. I did find the initial report & claims very interesting at the time, but if that's what it is, that's what it is.

reply to post by stupid girl

Agreed on all counts, and my apologies for any inadvertant offense to Byrd sourced in my ignorance.

reply to post by coredrill

Ditto to you, my friend.

Take care, and thanks all.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

There's a big fancy word for seeing what one wants to see - the mind seeking out familiar patterns and all - but I can't remember it for the life of me.

If the rock is even real and not somehow manufactured by the person promoting it - then that big word that I cannot think of is my answer.

~Heff

But if it is dated by the porcelain layer or other artificial stuff and it is 5 ft tall and found IN the mountains in which the pattern matches the terrain, that would be hard to call mind seeing patterns...the chances would be very slim..a lot of if in there I know.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Here is a map of the world 120 million years ago. You think the Earth has remained unchanged? The biggest proof this is a hoax is if the features in the map are there today.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Here is a map of the world 120 million years ago. You think the Earth has remained unchanged? The biggest proof this is a hoax is if the features in the map are there today.
www.bbc.co.uk...

As I said here...

"remember many changes should have happened over time,"

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

www.bbc.co.uk...

As I said here...

You also said ...

found IN the mountains in which the pattern matches the terrain, that would be hard to call mind seeing patterns

120 million years ago the terrain does not match todays. If this matches up with todays terrain then by necessity it is either a hoax, or someone decided to make a map of what the area would look like in 120 million years because they were fortune tellers and knew that's when the map would be found.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

As I said here...

You also said ...

found IN the mountains in which the pattern matches the terrain, that would be hard to call mind seeing patterns

120 million years ago the terrain does not match todays. If this matches up with todays terrain then by necessity it is either a hoax, or someone decided to make a map of what the area would look like in 120 million years because they were fortune tellers and knew that's when the map would be found.

I also said the large things which normally do stay around for a long time like the lake but not the shape of the lakes outlets, or the box like "canyon" or whatever it is but not the trailing valleys out of it.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Those look nothing like each other. That is nothing but a slab of dried out dirt.

120,000,000 years old...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
*sighs* Y'all got me all excited over nothing

As with others, I could have sworn this one was debunked already. I have to admit, as much as archaeology from places in China & Russia fascinate me, I'm content to just take most current claims with a huge honkin' block of salt until sufficiently vetted. Too much of it turns out to be outright equine excrement anymore.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Map could have been drawn from a balloon, they had balloons back two thousand years or more. There is ancient reference of aircraft powered with fire from rocks in the writings in India. Must have been using charcoal or coal for heating the air.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
It's ripple marks (waves) in a slab of limestone that formed in a shallow sea. That part of the Earth was underwater some 100 million years ago.

There's plenty of rock layers with ripple patterns around.

Panda's Thumb has a very nice picture: pandasthumb.org...
A page from a geology course that's all about ripple patterns in rock: www.uwgb.edu...
Another geology course site: raider.mountunion.edu...

...and so on. Take a 5 foot slab of any of those and you can probably find mountains somewhere that "sorta" look like that.

Land shapes are not "forever" and even rivers are born and die (vanish as their source changes.) Canyons erode away into flat land.

Geology's very interesting, though. It's a lot of fun to read up on the geology of your area -- it may surprise you how much the land has changed!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

As I said here...

You also said ...

I also said the large things which normally do stay around for a long time like the lake but not the shape of the lakes outlets, or the box like "canyon" or whatever it is but not the trailing valleys out of it.

How many 120 million year old lakes are there? I will give you a hint. 120 million years ago there was no lake there. You are welcome to do some research and find out how old that lake is. At the very least you can find the age of the oldest lake in the world. Here is a hint, it is not anywhere near 100 million years old.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I don`t know why they assume that the map could only have been made from a view from space or in the sky somewhere. during the american civil war there were many amazingly detailed and accurate maps made by simply reconning the area on horseback and making notes on distances and elevations of natural landmarks.

one of the reasons that Thomas( stonewall) Jackson was so effective with the small army that he commanded was because he had full time map maker named Jed Hotchkiss on his staff. One of Hotchkiss`s ongoing task`s was to recon the entire Shenandoah valley and make detailed maps of all the villages, roads, natural landmarks,rivers etc in the entire valley.
Whenever possible Jackson would send Hotchkiss ahead of the army to recon and make maps of the areas the army would be traveling through and places where a battle might be likely to occur based on the terrain features in that area.
By having these maps Jackson knew every hill, mountain, river, stream,road, ox cart path etc, in the valley and used them to his advantage against superior numbers of the enemy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join