It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking "UFO's" in Biblical Paintings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'm sure most here are familiar with the theory that UFO's are depicted in many old Biblical paintings, especially from the Middle Ages. I often see this cited as evidence for UFO's, and ancient alien theories in particular.

This thread will explain why that theory is completely false. There are no UFO's depicted in these paintings.
It is important to bear in mind the state of painting and art in those times. There were schools of painting with strict guidelines and traditions. Certain objects were always depicted in the same manner by adherents of these schools. Keep this in mind.

(Bear with me; i'm still getting used to this site, so this may take me a while...)

Let's start with the most famous example:

This is the painting i most often see cited as an example of UFO's in these paintings. The theory is that the two objects behind Jesus, which are enlarged in the borrom corners, are obvious UFO's
They are not.
This painting is done in the so-called "Byzantine" style. As i said before, these traditions had guidelines. A common guideline in Byzantine-style paintings concerns always showing the same two objects in the sky behind Christ in depictions of the Crucifixion. These objects are the sun and moon, many times depicted with human faces. These are used to represent light/positivity and dark/negativity.

Here are other examples of Byzantine-style depictions of the Crucifixion, depicting the sun and moon in the same position:

More to follow shortly....

EDIT: image sizes now fixed...
edit on 6-9-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maroboduus

Looks like they were uploaded that way. Go to your uploads page and click on an image. It will show you the actual image, and it will have three links you can use in posts. The [img] tag isn't used on ATS. Your uploads page will have those links with the code for you already to copy and paste into your posts.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

ah, many thanks. Let's see if i can fix this. I'm pretty much computer-illiterate....

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The problem is the method you have used to place the image in the post.

By the way I did u2u the answer so this is not a curt as it seems in case anyone is wondering. Did not want to detract from the thread.

edit on 6/9/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Nice thread. I posted similarly on another site.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Cool, got it now. Awesome, thanks guys.
Now i can continue....

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

What about the Nazca Lines in Peru, and the images that you can only make out from the sky? It's the coraborative evidence that tells the story, not just one or two jigsaw pieces. That said, I do see the specific point you are making.
edit on 6-9-2012 by binkbonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Thank you.
Looking forward to the other examples of sacred art with UFOs.

One often cited is

edit on 6-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
well my brave friend.
get ready for some hard core opposition on this site!

not so much from me, but.......!

check out this video. it has been posted on ats before,but theres lots'o'art to pick apart!!!
enjoy your stay!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Alright, another painting often cited as evidence is the following:

The objects/people in the top two corners are often cited as being UFO's or spaceships with people inside navigating them. Obvious, right?
But once again, this is similar to the previous example. In this case, however, the sun and moon were anthropomorphized. Also note that, like the previous examples, one is red and one is blue, depicting the sun and moon as human-like figures.
There are many examples of this in paintings and sculptures of that time. Here are a few:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Never mind the UFOS IN THE PICTURE YOUR MISSING THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM .You firstly need to prove that God exists as the guy on the cross is ment to be his son . If you carnt prove that then this whole conversation is pointless and the painting is a fake !!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This next example is...stupid.

For some odd reason, the following painting is also said to depict a UFO. The red object in the bottom right corner is said to be the UFO, with the red lines depicting...i don't know, movement or lasers or something silly:

Unfortunately, that is completely absurd. The person beside the red object is Saint Jerome, who renounced a career in the church. The red object is a cardinal's hat with tassles:

Other examples of painting of St. Jerome, with the red had symbolizing his renouncement of a career in the church:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
Thank you.
Looking forward to the other examples of sacred art with UFOs.

One often cited is

edit on 6-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

Good one!
As you said, this is often cited as a depiction of a UFO, as well:

Amusingly, this is as much an example of using a shoddy image as anything else. Let's look at a clearer picture of this painting:

It can now be seen that this "disc" shooting rays from the sky is actually a cloud, within which are two circles of angels, shining divine light upon Mary. A cloud full of angels shining holy light upon this particular event was a very common depiction:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by binkbonk

What about the Nazca Lines in Peru, and the images that you can only make out from the sky? It's the coraborative evidence that tells the story, not just one or two jigsaw pieces. That said, I do see the specific point you are making.
edit on 6-9-2012 by binkbonk because: (no reason given)

Despite what Von Danichen (spelling?) claims, it is not true that they can only be seen from sky. They can easily be seen from the surrounding hills. This can be verified by any number of credible researchers.
In addition, as somebody just pointed out in the most recent Nazca Lines thread (sorry, forget who), researchers have made similar lines using only the tools that would have been available at that time, without the benefit of aerial assistance.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Some of the paintings shown in that video, i have already covered. I am getting to the others...
As for the rest besides the paintings, that's for another thread altogether.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Good thread, for sure.
I see the depictions as Sun and Moon
in movement showing the direction of travel.
Apparently Jesus was crucified facing North
in one painting if my perception is correct.
S&F

What say you about this famous Historical Encounter from 329 BC ?
ufoevidence.org...

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus
researchers have made similar lines using only the tools that would have been available at that time, without the benefit of aerial assistance.

Aerial assistance really has no bearing on the Nazca lines. The designs of the lines can only be appreciated and seen fully from the sky. The thought is that whoever made the lines was advertising to someone flying in the sky in those days.

As for as the OP is concerned, I can see what you're trying to "debunk". However, there were still physical flying craft in the bible in the form of clouds, chariots, furnaces, pillars, platforms, vessles, rolls.

In John 18:36, Jesus himself said:

"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But my kingdom is from another place."

Where and what other place could Jesus' kingdom possibly be? Christians will say "heaven" (the sky), but what's in the heavens/sky? Other stars and other.......planets.

If you take the bible literally without any thought, then you believe in giant flying rolls, flying pillars, flying furnaces, and flying chariots.

We know none of those things fly. But we do know that spacecraft fly. That's how the gods and angels ascended and descended from the heavens (sky).

For instance, in Exodus when "god" descends from the sky and lands, there was great smoke and fire associated with his landing, and the ground quaked.

And then in Exodus 19:12, "god" told Moses:

And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, "Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death."

Other bibles have removed "mount" and replaced it with "mountain". How do you go into a mountain? Normally, we go onto mountains. How do you make a perimeter or border around a mountain? What part of the dirt or grass does a mountain end and begin? Why would "god" kill people for touching the border or edge of a mountain?

Because that's not how the bible was supposed to be interpreted. The King James bible uses the word "mount" for a reason. A mount is "a means of conveyance" (transportation). In this case, "god" descended from the sky in his mount, told Moses to make a perimeter around the mount, and anyone that touched the mount would die, which is exactly what the King James version says.

A more literal translation would be that "god" descended from the sky in his spacecraft, told Moses to make a perimeter around the spacecraft and to not let anyone touch the spacecraft or they would die, probably from radiation or heat related to the propulsion of the spacecraft.

Just as our space shuttle emits smoke and fire, and also makes the ground quake when it lifts off. Furthermore, you also cannot walk up to the space shuttle when it's sitting on the launch pad and touch it because you would also likely be killed from the heat of what's being burned:

In the Book of Enoch, Enoch was taken into a chariot (spacecraft) by angels, flown around the world, and then taken up into space. He was shown the moon, sun, stars, orbits of each. The seasons, number of days in a month/year, etc. I guess it all could've been a hologram or on a display panel inside a ship, but Enoch explicitly states he was able to view the orbits of the earth, moon, etc. from far above the earth.

"God", Jesus, and the angels, were all physical beings who flew in physical craft, and likely from another world like Jesus himself has all but admitted.

edit on 6-9-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Thanks for answering. I have to admit, you make a convincing case with the paintings... Are you saying, in summary that not only are these examples not depictions of ufo's, but that you also don't even believe they exist?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by shyster
Never mind the UFOS IN THE PICTURE YOUR MISSING THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM .You firstly need to prove that God exists as the guy on the cross is ment to be his son . If you carnt prove that then this whole conversation is pointless and the painting is a fake !!

Maraboduus ! You should feel honored Shyster MAY have registered just
to tell you about your elephant. Also the need for you, and you alone,
to determine the existence of JC and if so, proclaim him the messiah to all.
Dang your threads are gonna be tough!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Your debunking nothing. The moon the sun very byzantine???? it just prooves that even then they depicted "heavenly bodies" associated with religious philosophy. However the pictures you posted look very byzantine era paintings, every picture of Christ shows a phallix like imagery around his "stomach" area

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join