It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wine, beer, and why alcohol is called "spirits"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ok so my homeless buddy Mr Neal explained this one to me. If you have ever heard of someone being in "good spirits" they are generally positive and upbeat. Bad spirits would be the opposite of that. Alcohol is part of the religious process. The "Blood of Christ" during communion is represented by drinking wine that has been blessed by the preacher. So, to preface it with that, I was told that it opens you to the spirits the more you drink it. This is why when people drink they get excessively loud (calls RED to the area). Alcohol is fine for people, its just that it affects different people different ways. Its also the reason you always see fights at bars and why in the US we need bouncers.

Some people conjure good spirits when they drink, and are often more pleasureable to be around when drinking. There is also the guy who drinks and tries to fight everybody or beats his wife. These are the various spirits manifesting themselves into the person. Its also one of the reasons people cheat on their significant other. Usually it begins with a fight (which manifests some RED) then the (GOLD) beer or alcohol is the token that opens the door fully to the RED and teh person does things they would not normally do (although if it becomes regular practice or happens more than once-actually the first time it happens, the person is much more likely to do it sober as well as more frequently, because it opens the person to that "RED tithe". This is also why people dont always remember itor are shocked when they wake up next to a stranger. Its like they were possessed by a spirit and once the alcohol wore off, the spirit was removed from their body. This usually only happens to deltas/3rd dimensioners, but not always. Example: a divorcee (seperation of a union under Gods witness) and once the marriage is over the man/woman begins to sleep around (and to add to this-the more its done the easier it becomes and the easier it seems to happen to them, like the "Law of Attraction"). But thats really getting into another topic. When a lot of crimes like murder or vehicular manslaughter happen, the suspect is more frequently under the influence of alcohol. Im sure there are many scenarios we could come up with, both positive and negative. Positive-that chick that would never get with you has a few drinks and shes all over you lol (notice a "few" drinks is the common term, thats 3 drinks, 3's the magic number in the equation 3 drinks more likely to sleep with you vs 4 or 2 lol, and also why you hear the term "third times the charm").

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The word Alcohol is derived from the Arabic word "al-kuhl" which referred to a very finely crushed up powder. The word also came to mean the essence of things...hence the extension to "spirit".

Also another term for alcohol is Latin "aqua vitae" meaning "water life" or "water with spirit" in some extensions of the translation and in some old English texts was called "spirits of wine".

The alchemist's symbol for alcohol was a 'V' or open triangle for water with a 'S' for spirit within the 'V'.

Since the entomology of the word is lost, it's considered that all of these are where the term "spirits" came from rather than the idea that you are actually inhabited by a good/evil spirit.

I do applaud the idea though, but personally I just don't find that as compelling as it being a general term with a mundane association that got things rolling.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by strangedays

please explain the etymology of " methelyated spirits "

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

I assume you were talking about the other poster as etymology is not my thing. I just know that you pass alcohol in 24 hours and thats the best I got as far as it interacting phisiologically with the human body.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Not really sure who you're asking, but "spirits" I mentioned above and "methylated" because the main additive is 10% methanol.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I like your post.

I once learned from a very powerful shaman that all drugs (alcohol, marijuana, lsd, dmt, etc.) are all connected with star beings, and that when consumed, you are basically contracting some of your lifeforce to this "being" in order to feel the starbeing's effects. Some of these drugs are benevolent and or service to others (some people have enlightenment experiences on some drugs) while other have demonic or service to self intention. Alcohol fills this category for me. Gotta wonder why that is the most widely pushed drug on Earth today?? Poison.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Since the entomology of the word is lost, it's considered that all of these are where the term "spirits" came from rather than the idea that you are actually inhabited by a good/evil spirit.

I do applaud the idea though, but personally I just don't find that as compelling as it being a general term with a mundane association that got things rolling.

It is lost knowledge to the world at this rate. Are you the alchemist to re-introduce it?? Haven't you ever witnessed the beings with the equanimous mind? Fun fact: You have at least one spirit observing you ALL WAYS.

ETA: with a name like Zeddicus, this should be plain knowledge to you. I only read one of your stories.. but being able to sharpen knives by pinching it with your fingers... is certainly a useful tool

edit on 6-9-2012 by survival because: zeddicus zul zorander.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Beer and Wine are not typically called "Spirits". Usually the term "spirits" is used for distilled products; regular beer and wine are not distilled, but are fermented.

I've heard that distilled products are called "spirits" because the distillation process involves boiling something (usually something that has already been fermented) and capturing the invisible vapors given off (vapors containing alcohol). This gives a more concentrated alcohol content than fermentation alone can give you.

Here's where the word "spirit" come in:
Releasing the invisible alcohol vapors by boiling the fermented base product was known as making the fermented product "give up its spirit", which sort of makes sense. Capturing those invisible alcohol vapors and re-condensing it into a liquid could be called "capturing the spirit" of the original fermented product.

By the way, even though regular beer and wine are not technically spirits, fortified beer and wine have distilled alcohol added to them, so I suppose those fortified products can be called spirits, but not if they are only fermented.

edit on 9/7/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join