It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Looking For A Term That May Not Yet Exist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by Sly1one
reply to post by NorEaster

Impossibology....

I don't know, you are combining some terms that don't jive well...like spiritual and factual....factual isn't a word that should be tossed around lightly, although it is here on ATS it should be reserved to undeniable factual, without a doubt items...spirituality itself is a constant work in progress and a study in and of itself, so to include that in with the study of facts makes no sense to me.

Well, what is considered to be spirituality. Of course, things aren't necessarily as they've been previously defined...right?

spirituality is relative, just as most other things are...the more and more we consider all things the more and more we realize that its all relative...which makes defining things difficult.

Spirituality for some is the exploration and study of the "inner you" the part you that is aware that you are aware...Intelligence or consciousness squared so to speak.
Some people think spirituality is going to church and praising Jesus or God or insert XXX idol....
Some people think spirituality is self sacrifice and servitude to others in need...
Some people think spirituality is removal of the desire for the material world and material objects...
Some people think spirituality is so on and so forth....

Now that I think of it...

what about the term Existential Reletivology or Relative Existology
edit on 6-9-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

It doesn't include the yes/no logical substructure that ultimately allows the emergence of subjectivity as an epitome existential expression. And that's extremely important, since so many theories present subjective sentience as a primordial driver. The reality is 180 degrees in opposition to that assertion, and yet it's not as if sentience is nonphysical or devoid of material influence either. Reality is extremely broad in scope, and all of it leans against all of the rest of it. Nothing can simply exist without the entirety of all of it.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I do think epistemology is the term you're looking for (see my post above).

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by seaside sky
Epistemology- branch of philosophy that deals with varieties, grounds and validity of knowledge. Essentially, "what do we know and how do we know it"

But this covers what exists in spite of examination by the sentient mind. The conscious mind is literally the last stage of progressive development. So much emerges along the way to establish the potential for consciousness to ultimately exist. I remember the lecturers who would describe the ascent of humanity on Earth - the entire timeline - as being akin to the layer of paint on the top of the Empire State Building's highest pole's tip relative to the rest of Earth's history as the building beneath that layer of paint. It's immeasurably thinner when you compare the existence of consciousness as compared to the length of time that tightly-structured logical cause-effect event/information symbiosis has existed and gathered in sophistication and complexity to a point where sentience could actually exist. I don't know if an analogy actually exists to properly describe it.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seaside sky

I do think epistemology is the term you're looking for (see my post above).

See my post above.

Most of this predates any form of sentience.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

What's wrong with "Science"?

Or do you need new definition satisfaction.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

What's wrong with "Science"?

Or do you need new definition satisfaction.

I need to be able to succinctly and accurately describe exactly the precision and scope of this theory to a professional individual who is likely used to having things succinctly and accurately described to him/her. Science isn't succinct in any sense of what the word means. This is a real issue that I have a real concern with. I was hoping that someone had already coined a term for the kind of wide ranging examination that this theory addresses. I've been searching for days now, and I'm beginning to wonder if anyone's ever taken this on.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
"Humanology" The more I thought about it, the more sense it made to me as a proper term.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

"Existential Meta/Psycho/Physical Analysis"
edit on 6-9-2012 by BuckWilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Trans-dimensional Sapiensics

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Just off the cuff, how about conservative sollipsism?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Psychiatry

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I'm looking forward to reading your ideas. Considering what you mentioned in your OP, I'm going to just throw some words out there:

- principiumology
- completics
- integerism
- evidentology
- aparantology
- associology
- veraxology
- veritics
- factumology
- totumism
- absolutics
- datumism

I'm hoping you actually coin the term yourself. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

NorEaster, I enjoy your eloquent musings, but this is beyond trite.

What is it with this need to label everything ?

It's time to get out of your head brother.

The brain is an amazing mechanism but it is NOT you.

Thread to follow to explain and extrapolate.

Peace

* Ned

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Cosmology

1.the branch of philosophy dealing with the origin and general structure of the universe, with its parts, elements, and laws, and especially with such of its characteristics as space, time, causality, and freedom.
2.the branch of astronomy that deals with the general structure and evolution of the universe.

Source

1a : a branch of metaphysics that deals with the nature of the universe
b : a theory or doctrine describing the natural order of the universe
2: a branch of astronomy that deals with the origin, structure, and space-time relationships of the universe; also : a theory dealing with these matters

Source

1. (Philosophy) the philosophical study of the origin and nature of the universe
2. (Astronomy) the branch of astronomy concerned with the evolution and structure of the universe
3. (Philosophy) (Astronomy) a particular account of the origin or structure of the universe Ptolemaic cosmology

Source

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
In my view the first thought that came to mind is " understanding". But it has to go much deeper than an understanding. The knowledge thus far with perception has to be implemented as well so I'm thinking the first word of your newly founded word should begin with " Nous".

What is Nous? It's an understanding of the intellect. en.wikipedia.org...

Introduction: nous in philosophy The basic meaning of "nous" or "intellect" is "understanding", but several sources or types of "understandings" are often distinguished from each other: Sense perception is a source of feelings, impressions, or raw data about things, but it needs to be interpreted in order to be converted into real understanding. Reason is a source of new understandings but it is built by putting together and distinguishing other things already understood. Philosophical discussion of nous has therefore centred around the origin of the most basic understandings which allow people to make sense of what they see, hear, taste or feel, and which also allow them to start reasoning. These basic understandings are often felt to at least include such things as understandings of geometrical and logical basics, and also an ability to generalize properly into correct categories or universals, setting definitions. This mental step between perception and reasoning has sometimes been discussed as an aspect of perception or an aspect of reasoning, as will be seen below. The question then also arose of whether there can really be any source of such basic understanding other than the accumulation of perceptions. Somehow the human mind sets definitions in a consistent way, because people perceive the same things and can discuss them. So the argument goes, as will be shown below, that people must be born with some innate potential to understand the same things the same ways. And in addition to this it has also been argued that this possibility must require help of a spiritual and divine type. The question of where understanding comes from, is therefore related to the question of what knowledge is, and how things can and should be defined or classified. Another important philosophical discussion concerning nous stemming from these, involves not only human thinking, but the nature of the cosmos itself. As mentioned above, some philosophers proposed that the human mind must have an ability to understand which is divine, and independent of normal sense experience and physics. This ordering of the individual human mind, it is then argued, must be somehow derived from a cosmic mind which orders nature just like the human mind orders its understanding of nature. This was claimed from an early time, by Greek philosophers such as Anaxagoras. By this type of account, it came to be argued that the human understanding (nous) somehow stems from this cosmic nous, which is however not just a recipient of order, but a creator of it. Such explanations were influential in the development of medieval accounts of God, the immortality of the soul, and even the motions of the stars, in Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, amongst both eclectic philosophers and authors representing all the major faiths of their times.

edit on 7-9-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

The term doesn't exist because there is nothing for it to refer to.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

My search is for a term that describes the study of that which includes all of these fields, while being based solely on logical inference, that seeks to establish exactly what exists as factual and definable.

Ontology.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Reply to post by NorEaster

How about, Truth

Good luck.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
What about omniology?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link