It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Teleportation 89 miles!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

A team of scientists from Austria, Canada and Germany have now beamed the quantum state of a particle of light from one island to another 89 miles (143 kilometers) away.

"The quantum internet is predicted to be the next-generation information processing platform, promising secure communication and an exponential speed-up in distributed computation," the researchers write in a paper detailing their experiment published online Wednesday in the journal Nature. The next step will be to establish quantum teleportation between Earth and orbiting satellites. "The future goal of our research work will be to do such experiments on the satellite level," Ma told LiveScience. "This will enable intercontinental quantum information exchange."

Wow imagine the time when our cellphones can use quantum internet. Mass information can be shared instantly.

Recently there was a thread about transferring text into DNA.

I wonder when can they teleport DNA.

DNA = Human beings

Teleport human beings! Yay!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Do you have a source of any kind?

Thanks in advance!

Peace.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Theres alot of difference between a lab managing to do something and turning it into a usable product for people who think fire is a technical marvel and thats where the problem lies, plus quantum computing will make most modern encryption systems useless overnight so no state wants the ability for people to communicate without being able to tap into it

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0

Wow imagine the time when our cellphones can use quantum internet. Mass information can be shared instantly.

Yes, the millisecond lag in Tweets today really gets to me.

DNA = Human beings

Yikes, really? Maybe we should contact the authorities and tell them that the labs that destroy DNA-samples after tests are committing murder!

Teleport human beings! Yay!

No.

Regardless, entanglement is fascinating!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
For the more conspiracy minded people in here, I have a good read for you, one that may change the way you think about NASA and the DoD, aswell as our present space ambitions and undertakings.
Quantum teleportation, faster than light communication:
Well here you go, enjoy Click Here

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by QUANTUMGR4V17Y
Do you have a source of any kind?
Thanks in advance!

Peace.

Google resulted in the below in addition to many.

LINK

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

I remember reading something years ago about DNA encryption being the next step in cryptography. Imagine sending a message to someone encrypted to their specific DNA so only they can read it. fascinating.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Source

Sorry forgot to post up the source for my post.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
There's nothing in that explanation that says it will be any faster.

Cell phone signals already travel at the speed of light.

In their experiment they sent a photon 89 miles at the speed of light. That's when they transferred the information instantly. But they can't transfer the information instantly without sending something at the speed of light first, so it's still limited to the speed of light just like what we have now.

It's no faster than what we already have.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

it will be much faster. even traveling at the speed of light it takes time for the signal to travel large distances. with this though it would be instant.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

Yes, the millisecond lag in Tweets today really gets to me.

You are not getting it. It means information can be passed instantly. Eventually that will mean over any distance without interference.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

As far as I know, a secondairy signal there still needs to be sent via a classical way, in order to learn the state of the particle, making it useless as a FTL, or even close to the speed of light, means of information sharing, it is more about coding and decoding.

I wonder when can they teleport DNA.

This is not about physical teleportation of matter, at all.

All that is "teleported" instantly is the state of an entangled particle. The change in state can then be used to verify a code.
edit on 7-9-2012 by BuckWilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by balon0

So basically all they have done is made the internet faster? There goes fiber optic boradband.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Cell phone signals already travel at the speed of light.

Not exactly,

Radio waves travel at the speed of light in a vacuum.

en.wikipedia.org...

In their experiment they sent a photon 89 miles at the speed of light. That's when they transferred the information instantly. But they can't transfer the information instantly without sending something at the speed of light first, so it's still limited to the speed of light just like what we have now.

Not exactly. There is no link in the OP, but I'm pretty sure they are using entangled particles at 89 miles distance, they manipulate the state of one particle, and that instantly alters the state of the entangled partner 89 miles away.

The state change is instant which makes it seems like info traveled FTL between the particles. But it really didn't. I have my own theory on what actually happens, but that's for another time.

Also, as pointed out before, this method is useless for FTL information communication because there still needs to be a communication about the manipulation of one entangled particle in order to learn the state of the other, and this communication can only be done with a normal, non FTL means of communication.

Btw, here is a link to the story, it is about entanglement indeed,

www.space.com...

In the recent experiment, all three photons started out on the island of La Palma, one of the Canary Islands off the coast of Spain. One of the entangled photons was then sent through the air 89 miles to the Canary Island of Tenerife. Since the particles were entangled, when a measurement was made of the quantum states of the two particles on La Palma, it affected the particle on Tenerife, too, allowing the first particle to essentially be recreated in a new location without traversing the distance

edit on 7-9-2012 by BuckWilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake

it will be much faster. even traveling at the speed of light it takes time for the signal to travel large distances. with this though it would be instant.
The information was sent the 89 miles instantly, yes, but only AFTER they sent a photon at the speed of light for 89 miles first, hence information transfer was still limited to the speed of light in this experiment.

Originally posted by fluff007
You are not getting it. It means information can be passed instantly. Eventually that will mean over any distance without interference.
It apparently is you who don't get it. see above. Nobody has ever transmitted information faster than the speed of light yet to my knowledge, and it didn't happen in this experiment. Maybe some day it will, but maybe it won't.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BuckWilder

Whatever tiny fraction below the speed of light cell phone signals travel at is the same speed the photon traveled for 89 miles in the experiment. It's slower by perhaps one tenth of one percent, happy now?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Well, let's try to be exact. Our radio signals used for communication simply don't travel at the speed of light. Regardless of my mental state.

And the speed at which the photon initially traveled to cross the 89 miles distance has absolutely nothing to do with the supposed FTL travel of information between entangled particles, which is what these experiments are about.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

edit on 7-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

edit on 7-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

That's a good point!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Wikipedia: Quantum teleportation, or entanglement-assisted teleportation, is a process by which a qubit (the basic unit of quantum information) can be transmitted exactly (in principle) from one location to another, without the qubit being transmitted through the intervening space.

Nothing is traveling anywhere. information is transmitted INSTANTLY from one particle to the other in zero time. This would, in theory, allow for instantaneous communications (limited by technology) over vast, even interstellar distances. If there are aliens out there, I imagine this is the sort of technology they use.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Smack because: typo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join