It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$3 toothbrush saves day for $100 billion space station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Interesting solution. Shows how interesting minds and wisdom from diverse backgrounds, when work together in harmony can solve complex and critical problems economically. Too bad the same couldn't be derived for Politicians and Nations

A $3 toothbrush, 'designed' by astronauts Sunita Williams and Akihido Hoshide, saved the day for a $100 billion International Space Station, becoming instrumental in the installation of a vital part for relaying power.

So the space team, along with their colleagues at NASA back on earth put their heads together to figure out a way to fix the problem. They decided the outer space team needed to do some deep cleaning and the idea for the toothbrush tool was born - fastening a simple toothbrush to a metal pole. On Wednesday, Williams and Hoshide took to cleaning the bolts.

After about four hours of intense scrubbing, the bolts were pristine and the pair were able to successfully attach the MBSU. "Looks like you guys just fixed the station," astronaut Jack Fischer radioed from Mission Control at NASA's Johnson Space Centre in Houston, Texas.

LINK

edit on 6-9-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

edit on 6-9-2012 by hp1229 because: add link

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If that was an official toothbrush it would probably have cost about $10,000 by the time it was ordered through the space program and why didn't they just send a signal to a passing UFO to pop by and give it a wiggle since NASA seems to be in the loop with space aliens

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
OMG!!!! tell me this isn't a simpsons episode with the 'carbon rod' saving the day!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
YES!!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

ha! leave it to a fellow canadian to find the humor in this!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
OMG!!!! tell me this isn't a simpsons episode with the 'carbon rod' saving the day!!!
Yea...who would have thought
This just goes to show or atleast provide some idea as per the inflated price of the programs carried out by government agencies.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I thought it odd that there was quite a bit of metallic shavings in the bolt hole(s). That doesn't sound like a very good job of assembly.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I'd so totally believe this...but think about it. When did the any government ever design ANYTHING that goes into space that only costs 3 bucks. To make this believable? It was a 30 buck toothy and a type error on someone's part.

peace

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I thought it odd that there was quite a bit of metallic shavings in the bolt hole(s). That doesn't sound like a very good job of assembly.
Agree. I thought about it as well. I'm assuming the metallic shavings will be much much minute than the possibly the ones we're accustomed to or thinking about. Most definitely poor workmanship on someone's part during assembly as it couldn't be space debris inside the threads.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
I'd so totally believe this...but think about it. When did the any government ever design ANYTHING that goes into space that only costs 3 bucks. To make this believable? It was a 30 buck toothy and a type error on someone's part.

peace
Agreed. Regardless, still a good use of a simple tool (possibly 30 bucks worth) that was put to good use to save a very expensive piece of equipment.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

peace

Actually it was a perfectly balanced adamantium handle with vibratium bristles. Actual cost of $30,000.00.

But “Toothbrush” looked so much cooler in the headlines.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Here comes the urban legend/myth about the $1 million NASA space pen versus the Russian pencil...

in 3......2......1.......

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

So there are corrupting molecules in the space lab atmosphere.
Or the bolts were not made up to spec.
Every step in the manufacture of an atomic plant and perhaps space vehicles is
traceable to who worked on the part.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Here comes the urban legend/myth about the $1 million NASA space pen versus the Russian pencil...

in 3......2......1.......
Awwwww, you beat me to it.

But I also thought of the broken ignition switch on Apollo 11 which stranded Armstrong and Aldrin on the moon, until they jammed part of a pen into the spot where the broken switch was. Sometimes makeshift tools can come in handy, and that was a life or death situation.

new topics

join