It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Robots Of Boston Dynamics Inc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If we had a real equivalent to the fictitious Cyberdyne Systems of Terminator fame Boston Dynamics Inc. would be it.

Boston Dynamics builds advanced robots with remarkable behavior: mobility, agility, dexterity and speed. We use sensor-based controls and computation to unlock the capabilities of complex mechanisms. Our world-class development teams take projects from initial concept to proof-of-principle prototyping to build-test-build engineering, to field testing and low-rate production. Organizations worldwide, from DARPA, the US Army, Navy and Marine Corps to Sony Corporation turn to Boston Dynamics for advice and for help creating the most advanced robots on Earth.

See all there video's

Cool robots, but are these things going to be used as weapons in the future?

edit on 6-9-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thanks for the compilation.

That little "flea" robot looks like any ordinary boring 4 wheeled robot, until you see it jump on top of a small building. Woah ! Awesome.

but are these things going to be used as weapons in the future?

Although these current models seems built for troop support, transport or rescue, I am pretty sure some other model will be used eventually as weapons. They probably have other armed models in development that is kept under wraps that can... erm... terminate anything it has in sight.

They still need to find a proper energy source though. I saw a vid of BigDog roaming through the woods, and the sound of the gas engine is a dead giveaway.

Armed robots already exists, and are use to guard the DMZ between the two Korea's for example.
Some are mobile on tracks, and others are stationary (sort of like an auto-turret). But they are in no way comparable to what BD does.
A armed robot built by BD, would surely be creepy as hell. Imagine PETMAN wielding a machete in one hand, and a heavy assault riffle in the other. I'd c*@* in my undies so much, my pants would drop from the sheer weight.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I find the first one kind of terrifying on some primal level, I know I'm supposed to be marvelling at the technology and it is indeed amazing but I can't help imagining it running after me in some post industrial wasteland with a lazer mounted on its back

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I find the first one kind of terrifying on some primal level, I know I'm supposed to be marvelling at the technology and it is indeed amazing but I can't help imagining it running after me in some post industrial wasteland with a lazer mounted on its back
reply to post by davespanners

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
Boston Dynamics robots are border-lining some form of uncanny valley.
Your expression "terrifying on some primal level" is appropriate.

edit on 6-9-2012 by SolidGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
seeing these things really bugs me

you see the firms and uni's investing big bucks into creating these robots, and they are great, they really are.

but

the one things that makes these all kinda pointless is we dont have the abillity to power the damn things without umbilicals for any meaningful amount of time.

battery/fuel cell tech just does not seem to be delivering the goods, and we desperately desperately need it, hell most smart phones need charged daily

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Weaponised military robot? There ya go!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There is no doubt that these will be weaponized in the future, say hello to iRobot

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
the big dog robot was designed for military use

there are a few videos

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The Bigdog roboot really freaked me out when it was being tested on slippery ice. I felt sorry for it for some reason as it struggled on the ice, reminded me of an injured animal i guess

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

It reminds me of the robotic hound from Fahrenheit 451. It gives me the creeps, as well. "Big Dog" does, as well.

I don't think we'll see weaponized versions of these robots for some years yet. In addition, legs are highly vulnerable in combat and it wouldn't be very practical to have these giant militarized robot that can be immobilized by simply taking out one of its legs. In that respect, tracks will win. In especially rough terrain, these sorts of thing could be useful, though.
edit on 7-9-2012 by DanaHolgorsen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I must have watched like 20 videos. It is so fascinating but why do I feel like I have seen this in a movie. The cheetah one is scary if you imagine it coming after you but did you see the terminator 1.0 it was doing combat stances. Crap.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Here is there latest

Make sure to read the end of the video to see the military connection
edit on 21-10-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Again there latest

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
New Videos

Commentary

top topics

join