It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the 3-D printer revolution: This toddler and her tiny exoskeleton will melt your heart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

"Meet Emma. She's two years old and suffers from arthrogryposis multiplex congenita, a rare disorder that makes moving her arms extremely difficult. But with the aid of Dr. Tariq Rahman, Whitney Sample, and her custom-fit, 3D-printed Wilmington Robotic Exoskeleton, Emma now has the strength to lift her arms and play like any toddler. It's so darn adorable and inspiring that the room you're sitting in may suddenly become filled with eye-seeking dust particles."

more here
edit on 9-6-2012 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by noctu
"Meet Emma. She's two years old and suffers from arthrogryposis multiplex congenita, a rare disorder that makes moving her arms extremely difficult. But with the aid of Dr. Tariq Rahman, Whitney Sample, and her custom-fit, 3D-printed Wilmington Robotic Exoskeleton, Emma now has the strength to lift her arms and play like any toddler. It's so darn adorable and inspiring that the room you're sitting in may suddenly become filled with eye-seeking dust particles."

more here

Absolutly amazing!

Technology, when used in a good way, can help shape the world for the better.

Great post.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's cool to start one's day with a story such as this.

Here's the vid from youtube:

Keep a box of Kleenex handy.

S&F

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by noctu

Wow.
Break out the man sized tissues.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Awesome story .. thanks for sharing it! a breath of fresh air for ATS.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I absolutely LOVE the simplicity of the design, and especially the rubber band resistance for adjustable lifting aid. Their design is truly universal, in that it can be utilized by anyone on the planet with no other tech/electric requirements after delivery. I see future developments of this tech aid walking and standing for paraplegics using tension aided hand controls.

These engineers deserve a Nobel prize for this design!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Now that was really cool!! The stuff they can do with that 3D printing is amazing!!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Awesome thanks for the share and I as well have shared it amongst the interweb as well. To see technology actually help people in such great ways is very touching.

Thanks again

SaneThinking

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This story and video was posted in this forum over a month ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

With how fast post become lost in the abyss, and with the horrible search function. Sometimes its good to have a revival truth be told its new to me and I watch the boards like a hawk for new material. Then again I sleep like a normal person as well and time zone, continents, so on and so forth I miss alot as well. So yes I'm glad your all about less clutter and content due praise where its do. Is it always necessary to rain on someones parade publicly not in turn just singling you out but everyone who lends nothing to the discussion but to bring the 2nd OP down.

What I guess I'm saying is if it brings you glee continue wouldn't want to ruin you smile if that's whats created, but at the same time also what the personal message could be for......just saying

My mini rant goes to all who add nothing, but bringing attention to a previous thread that even when searched most likely is never found or lost in the aforementioned abyss that is ATS search

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

my bad, I used the search and nothing came up; other sites have a search that seems to work better for me.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by noctu

this story is clearly more about the 3d printer then it is about the girl and her families hardships, the sad music definitely adds the to tear factor, try watching it on mute, not as effective at pulling on the heart strings,

the body does adapt and i wonder what the difference this will have in her life, to grow learning how to overcome her weakened limbs the body may have compensated and began a healing process, but it will not have too with the aid of a device the body will not push as hard to grow in such a way as to compensate the issues it is no longer experiencing thx to the device,

it is another treatment, not a cure.

and i do agree the search function of this site is very ineffective, imo this is intentional,

i cant count the times i have searched for an old thread using the exact same title as the thread as the search terms and nothing comes up, only to find it later the hard way by digging through relevant subforums, proving that the thread did in fact still exist with the title i had copied it down as,

a search function that searches one site and can not turn up a thread by the exact title an exact match to the search terms is nothing beyond intentional design from a techies perspective.
edit on 9/10/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join