It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheetah Robot runs 28 mph (45 km/h) ; a bit faster than Fastest Human (Usain Bolt)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
There is already an existing thread about the increadible speed of the Cheetah Robot :
Cheetah Bot sets new world record for legged robots
However that thread was about the Cheetah robot breaking the record among st robots for the fastest moving quadrapod robot

This four legged robot beat the old record set in 1989 of 13mph. The cheetah bot as its called manage to read a top speed of 18 mph, and was developed by Boston Dynamics, with funding from..................DARPA!!

It has now been clocked at 28 mph which is faster than Usain Bolt (hailed to be the fastest human ever) who has a top recorded speed of 38.18 km/h or 23.72 mph.

This makes it impossible to out run, and even a viable option to chase "suspects" in cities and such, how long before they equip these robots with armor and weaponry for use abroad and cameras and non lethal weapons for domestic use?

Imagine having one of these chase you, unlimited endurance, connected to a network thus perfect coordination, updated with latest information (traffic, layout and so fourth), maybe its just me being paranoid, but with DARPA working on Bi pedal robots, Surrogate program and quadrapod robots, how long until we see a Robot police officer taking a stroll down the street with his robot canine ?

Namste.
edit on 6/9/12 by WiseThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Oh dear thiis development work for DARPA is starting to get a little worrying.

What with exoskeleton's and nano quadrotor's the military could potentially have a scary army of ordinance.

I have pictures of thousands of these being dropped out of Galaxy aircraft near the edge of war zones wwaiting to be turned on at any time for terminator style war.

Now where did I leave that EMP bomb ?
lol

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The movement of that thing freaked me out, reminded me of Alien.

I am under the impression that robotics level of advancement will be directly related to how well they can mimic nature and improve on natural efficiencies already present.\

An example of what I am talking about is that the Cheetahs form has evolved to accommodate high speeds. Robotics will seek to imitate this form and improve on it from there.

Looks like we are getting closer to that with this robot and the ones that are able to mimic human motions etc.

But who knows, natural forms of locomotion may be outdated. who knows.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Wow that thing looks so AWKWARD!

I mean an amazing achievement but wow that thing is creepy!

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I don't think it's impossible to out run. It can't do short fast sprints. Notice how long it took this robot to get up to speed? Once you change direction, this thing would have to spend a lot of time trying to catch up with you. Humans can stop, change direction and sprint away much faster than this can.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Give it a few more years of development, and that worry will be solved too.

Also, what we see, could even be a few years behind what they really have going.

I mean having it near human or above it fine (scary, but not going to worry big time), but i don't think you'd hear news of something more advanced at this stage. You can imagine how much that would freak people out. Small doeses, get us used to it and then bring out the big guns.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

what rubbish.

without on board power it is just a toy.

easily disabled with a spray can on its sensors.

any motorbike/car can out run it easily.

top topics

join