It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dishonest Church and the Dishonest Christians----Jesus: The Man and the Myths

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by Cuervo
Mormon scriptures were written while the dude was still alive. Does that make it even more authentic than Christianity?

Where does the Book of Mormon state that it is about the person of Joseph Smith?

Have you even read it? It is about supposed ancient events, and to say it was "written while the dude was still alive" is idiotic -- of course Smith was still alive when he wrote it!

Point taken. My response was to a post that was trying to deflect the OP by comparing it to Islam, saying that it was somehow even less reliable because it was written 70 years after the fact.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

If you don't want to believe that Christ was divine or did supernatural things, just don't believe it.

I could just as easily believe the Easter Bunny is a whore.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALightBreeze

If you don't want to believe that Christ was divine or did supernatural things, just don't believe it.

That's the nice thing about beliefs -- one is welcome to believe anything they like. It's only when they attempt to justify it that they sometimes run into problems, hence my statement that if you don't want to believe in something, just don't believe in it and let it go at that.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Point taken. My response was to a post that was trying to deflect the OP by comparing it to Islam, saying that it was somehow even less reliable because it was written 70 years after the fact.

If you want to do that all you have to do is mention that Muhammad was iliterate and he didn't write anything down of his own. People who heard him speak and could write would sometimes write down alleged sayings of his on pieces of bone or armor, or turtle shells and wood, sometimes they were second and third hand accounts and embellishments. There were no scriptures to be had at all. He didn't sit down and write a book like muslim believe, he couldn't even write his own name.

The story gets even worse when he is supposedly flown all over the middle east by "Gabriel" and shown the land, when both jews and christians know Archangels do not have wings, only Seraphim and Cherubim do and Gabriel was neither of those.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

You'd be pretty close, the mother of the easter bunny Ishtar is a whore, the whore of Babylon according to their mythologies.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

That's the nice thing about beliefs -- one is welcome to believe anything they like. It's only when they attempt to justify it that they sometimes run into problems, hence my statement that if you don't want to believe in something, just don't believe in it and let it go at that.

Then there would be far less discussion about the supersilly nature of a belief in a real Christ, wouldn't there?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Then there would be far less discussion about the supersilly nature of a belief in a real Christ, wouldn't there

Naw, people just inherently love to argue. Most atheists say something like "it's just a simple lack of belief!" but then inevitably follow that up with a bunch of rationalizations, because they just like to argue. (Same thing with most theists, of course.)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Then there would be far less discussion about the supersilly nature of a belief in a real Christ, wouldn't there

Naw, people just inherently love to argue. Most atheists say something like "it's just a simple lack of belief!" but then inevitably follow that up with a bunch of rationalizations, because they just like to argue. (Same thing with most theists, of course.)

Trouble is, atheism lacks the support of archaeology and ancient scholarship. I'd really rather deal with "a simple lack of belief" than all the arrogant spoutings of atheists here. I say that as an ex-atheist.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

Trouble is, atheism lacks the support of archaeology and ancient scholarship. I'd really rather deal with "a simple lack of belief" than all the arrogant spoutings of atheists here. I say that as an ex-atheist.

Atheism is running headlong into the nearing death of materialistic science - when it has to deal with the survival of consciousness - so be patient. Soon the atheists will blither and blather and bark at the moon and be of real joy to watch and make fun.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Verne, Wells, Lovecraft, Keel, Dick, Vallee, Morrison, and others offer sophisticated views that suffice for me. Thanks.

In Vallee terms I'm a 'UFO contactee'. Have you ever had a paranormal experience?

I assume you're familiar with the mystical experiences of Philip K. Dick? I've had comparable ones. My areas of study are comparative mythology, comparative religion, comparative mysticism and parapsychology. So if someone is going to use the word 'myth' in the same sentence as Jesus then it had better not be in the man-on-the-street sense of the word 'myth'.

What do you mean when you say the word myth? What do you think of when you think of comic-books? A childish distraction? Escapism?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Have you ever had a paranormal experience?
I assume you're familiar with the mystical experiences of Philip K. Dick?
I've had comparable ones.
What do you mean when you say the word myth?
What do you think of when you think of comic-books?
A childish distraction?
Escapism?

After 4 decades of paranormal research (I call it "cosmic sojourning"), yes.
Yes.
Myth = fabled story.
Wonder Woman.
No and yes.
Yes and no.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Lonewolf,

Interesting video. But why no mention of the bodies? It wasn't even brought up. The is highly suspect. I wonder if there were no bodies inside. To me this would indicate fakery.

I'm assuming here, but, If there were body's inside, I'm sure they woulda made mention of them. This video is from a christian believer and it wouldn't be too much of s stretch to think he left that major bit of information out in order to support his claim. Have you considered this?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Have you ever had a paranormal experience?
I assume you're familiar with the mystical experiences of Philip K. Dick?
I've had comparable ones.
What do you mean when you say the word myth?
What do you think of when you think of comic-books?
A childish distraction?
Escapism?

After 4 decades of paranormal research (I call it "cosmic sojourning"), yes.
Yes.
Myth = fabled story.
Wonder Woman.
No and yes.
Yes and no.

Would you briefly describe the scope of your research and one of your experiences?
Were Phils books Divinely inspired? Why or why not?
Whats so great about Wonder Woman?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Would you briefly describe the scope of your research and one of your experiences?

Certainly many "ghosts" -- even the most frightening ones -- can have very unexciting causes. For one thing, it's recently been discovered that very low frequency sound waves, or "standing waves," trapped in a building can cause many of the phenomena associated with ghosts. These are inaudible to humans but not to many animals. In humans, they can cause feelings of cold, nervousness, "hair standing up on the back of the neck," minor poltergeist activity and even your basic apparition.

I can easily imagine that some or all of these phenomena can take place outside as well, given the right environmental circumstances.

If this and all other explanations fail, however, my experience has been that there are three basic phenomena that can be called "real" ghosts: time displacements, parasitic entities and what are traditionally known as "visitation apparitions."

n my opinion, ghosts are not "spirits of the dead" because I don't believe in death. Nor are they video-like recordings on the environment as many parapsychologists suggest for lack of any better explanation.

I'm absolutely convinced that to understand ghosts, we must accept what has come to be known as "quantum reality." To make a very long story very short, the universe we experience with our five senses is not only illusory to a great degree, it seems one of an infinite number of universes that make up a vast, timeless "multiverse." As Einstein theorized, time and space are one and the same, and time itself has no objective reality: It's a function of our consciousness.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

You jest.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I'm absolutely convinced that to understand ghosts, we must accept what has come to be known as "quantum reality." To make a very long story very short, the universe we experience with our five senses is not only illusory to a great degree, it seems one of an infinite number of universes that make up a vast, timeless "multiverse." As Einstein theorized, time and space are one and the same, and time itself has no objective reality: It's a function of our consciousness.

I'm in love....

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

my honey my baby don't put my love upon no shelf
she said don't give no lines and keep your hands to yourself

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

You jest.

Don't get me wrong I like her very much. I was just wondering if its that you have a crush on her or do you identify with her or what.

I take it your experiences with the paranormal are about encounters with time displacements, parasitic entities or what are traditionally known as "visitation apparitions?"

edit on 6-9-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I also encounter what I can describe only as "parasitic entities." These seem to be life forms that use electromagnetic fields, including the bioelectric fields around our own bodies, to gain access to where we are so they can feed off our energy, usually negative energy. Among other phenomena, I believe these entities include poltergeists. They demonstrate intelligence and have a remarkable ability to learn.

There are two tendencies of parasitical entities can be very frightening. One is that some parasites tend to be what I can only describe as "pack hunters." They work together to prey upon certain people or families, sometimes following them for generations. Other parasites are quieter, actually cultivating individuals or groups of people for their "food" value.

We as a species are quite literally being "farmed."

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Lonewolf,

Interesting video. But why no mention of the bodies? It wasn't even brought up. The is highly suspect. I wonder if there were no bodies inside. To me this would indicate fakery.

I'm assuming here, but, If there were body's inside, I'm sure they woulda made mention of them. This video is from a christian believer and it wouldn't be too much of s stretch to think he left that major bit of information out in order to support his claim. Have you considered this?

There were bones, that's what a ossuary is, a bone box. Jews didn't bury the way we do, they would leave a body in a mausoleum (or rock hewn tomb) for a year and then come back a year later when the flesh had completely rotted away and then intered the bones in a stone sarcophagus called an ossuary for second burial with the deceased's family or friends. In which case Peter's bones were intered with his family and other believers in Yeshua. Simon Peter is the one called "Simon bar Jonah" (Simon son of Jonah). Philipp's bones were discovered a couple years ago in Turkey in the last town he had been sighted preaching in.

Also the tomb was discovered in Bethany, where a close friend of Jesus (Lazarus) and his sisters Mary and Martha were entombed in the same cemetary Simon Peter was, on the Mt. of Olives. Believer or no the scientific method is not thrown out in an archeaological investigation. The bones of Martha, Mary, Lazarus, Judah and Simeon were also discovered.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join