It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

any one know what Autec is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
autec (Atlantic under sea test and evaluation center)

it is a secret u.s. naval base in the Bahamas,on the edge of the Bermuda triangle.
it is the 'area 51' of the ocean!
i just watched a tv show on aliens,and they talked about it there.
(ufo hunters or alien hunters,or something!)
the show itself was pretty crappy,but i never heard of this place before,sooooooo...
i looked it up on yahoo

go to - www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/autec.htm

very interesting site!!!

anyway,i'm still bumbling around there,and i thought some people here might be interested!

perhaps if you are familiar with autec,and what goes on there,you could shed some lite on it!
thanx

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
It is amazing how little we know about our sea, but our testing is harming the hydrosphere

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

It's actually located off the coast of the Bahamas, not Bermuda, nearly 1,000 miles of a difference.

Also, it's not all that secret. No more secret than say Fort Benning, Georgia or Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. Essentially it is an American submarine communication, naval testing and undersea experimentation facility.

Somethings there are secret, sure, but the majority of work done there is probably routine US Navy things.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Hey you're in luck several members of ATS are actually former employees of AUTEC. I"m sure if they see this thread they will chime in with stories of their work there.

One thing though. AUTEC is NOT a secret. It's a test range and proving range for soon to be commissioned ships that need to undergo testing and evaluation on sonar, acoustic and other electronic sensor type systems. Even other countries send their ships there,rent out a day to use the proving grounds, pay the US a ass load of money for it and then go happily on their way to their home ports knowing what's what with their sensor systems and other necessary data about their vessels.

Pretty much if you are a new navy ship sub, cruiser or otherwise or a vessel with a new system on board you will be sent to AUTEC to get a shake down of the system to make sure it's all squared away before going of to duty.

Nothing to mysterious although understandably secret.
edit on 6-9-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I was in a submarine that had trials there, what do you want to know?

It may be unknown but, it is far from secret.

That are is used to gauge and asses an acoustical "image" for our submarines along with our weaponry we carry on board. I.E. Mark 48 ADCAP and Tomahawk missiles.

These images they capture are used to differentiate between us and opposing forces submarines.

edit on 6-9-2012 by RobertF because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Hey you're in luck several members of ATS are actually former employees of AUTEC. I"m sure if they see this thread they will chime in with stories of their work there.

One thing though. AUTEC is NOT a secret. It's a test range and proving range for soon to be commissioned ships that need to undergo testing and evaluation on sonar, acoustic and other electronic sensor type systems. Even other countries send their ships there,rent out a day to use the proving grounds, pay the US a ass load of money for it and then go happily on their way to their home ports knowing what's what with their sensor systems and other necessary data about their vessels.

Pretty much if you are a new navy ship sub, cruiser or otherwise or a vessel with a new system on board you will be sent to AUTEC to get a shake down of the system to make sure it's all squared away before going of to duty.

Nothing to mysterious although understandably secret.
edit on 6-9-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

Submarines than have been through a refit period will also "enjoy" the AUCTEC range

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
reply to post by reficul

It's actually located off the coast of the Bahamas, not Bermuda, nearly 1,000 miles of a difference.

Also, it's not all that secret. No more secret than say Fort Benning, Georgia or Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. Essentially it is an American submarine communication, naval testing and undersea experimentation facility.

Somethings there are secret, sure, but the majority of work done there is probably routine US Navy things.

The communications center for submarines while in the Atlantic is COMSUBLANT, also known as Commander Submarine Atlantic Fleet. The communications for both surface and subsurface vessels is handled through Norfolk Virginia.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
thanx to all who replied!

i admit i was in the dark about this place,and unfortunately i had to hear about it from a bad tv show on ufo's!
anyway,thanx to all for shedding light on this for me!
cheers!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
CSC is a contractor there.

They had job postings there for AUTEC last week on their website.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I think people are getting confused regarding this site. This is not an actual underwater base, although I can see how someone could jump to that conclusion. The actual facilities that comprise the base, of which there are two, are located on land. One is in Florida and the other is on an island in the test area for their operations. I believe they have equipment of various types located at varying depths, but as far as I know there are no facilities down there where people actually live.

There could be submersibles taken down there occasionally, but that is probably the extent of any human presence, besides divers. If there is a base down there, I highly doubt the military would admit as much, although I think it highly improbable. If you think about it, there really isn't any need for an underwater base. Being under the water simply complicates any equivalent surface effort, yet doesn't provide any benefits, except secrecy. But secrecy can be maintained on land.

Plus, the island where the base is located is owned by the military, to my knowledge, and no one is allowed near it or to it without prior consent being granted. So, I think that if someone said this was an underwater base, they don't know what they are talking about...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Plus, the island where the base is located is owned by the military, to my knowledge, and no one is allowed near it or to it without prior consent being granted. So, I think that if someone said this was an underwater base, they don't know what they are talking about...

AUTEC shore facilities are on Andros Island, an archipelago though it's considered one island, the largest island of the Bahamas. It has a population of 7,800 or so. It is not owned by the military. The test range is an area called Tongue of the Ocean.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

Here's my question from the people I've talked to there isn't much to enjoy while visiting AUTEC. it's pretty boring. Nothing to do except sneak a few swigs of the local screech. So is there really anything to enjoy about visiting AUTEC if you are serving or even a civilian contractor?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

reply to post by RobertF

Here's my question from the people I've talked to there isn't much to enjoy while visiting AUTEC. it's pretty boring. Nothing to do except sneak a few swigs of the local screech. So is there really anything to enjoy about visiting AUTEC if you are serving or even a civilian contractor?

Heck i would think it wouldn't be too bad for the folks that work there. There are a lot worse places to be than on an island in the Bahamas.

www.navsea.navy.mil...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Yeah it's just that I heard there's just nothing to do on your off time there. It's weird all the mainlanders wish they could live on a tropical island somewhere. Meanwhile every islander I've talked to were like. "Thats awesome your from the mainland that must be nice" With which I respond, "nicer than living on a tropical island?" in which they respond with. "Dude we live on a Fricken island. Theres nothing to do! Were bored!"

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Yeah it's just that I heard there's just nothing to do on your off time there. It's weird all the mainlanders wish they could live on a tropical island somewhere. Meanwhile every islander I've talked to were like. "Thats awesome your from the mainland that must be nice" With which I respond, "nicer than living on a tropical island?" in which they respond with. "Dude we live on a Fricken island. Theres nothing to do! Were bored!"

Yeah, i can see the point. I spent a year on Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean...after about 2 months it got pretty old.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
A few years ago a bought a small booklet about autec in german language.
Interesting Stuff. Sadly its only available in german.

Autec Booklet

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I was on a submarine for over 4 years and have completed exercises there numerous times. There is no underwater base, its in the Bahamas, and its there to test acoustics. I was not actually in the Sonar division. I was in the Communications division, so I don't know all of the specifics on the different types of testing. Overall, nothing special about the place, and of course you won't find much on the place because practically everything is classified in regards to submarines.

top topics

join