It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eternity versus Everlasting Life

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You seem pretty young , the avatar gives you away . The older people really haven't grasped the computer so much . The ability to see and face things that are not very fun or pretty comes with age and wisdom . Young people and a lot of older people can not deal with their own mortality just like Splitinfinity says . If you upset their little contrived reality the next thing they will do is shoot up a bunch of innocent people or something really stupid . That is exactly no government will inform the people of an impending disaster for which there is no escape . So party down dude while you can .

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

You seem pretty young , the avatar gives you away . The older people really haven't grasped the computer so much . The ability to see and face things that are not very fun or pretty comes with age and wisdom .

For lack of a better answer, you belittle me according to the youth you have apparently defined me with?

Now that's an impressive display of intellect and discerning.
My avatar represents, to me, a lot more than you seem to realize. But that's beside the point, and very much off topic.

Young people and a lot of older people can not deal with their own mortality just like Splitinfinity says .

I don't fear death in the least. It's pain I fear. Give me a gun and I'm not afraid to stick it in my mouth. However, I'm hoping I can help at least a few people before my time draws to a close.

That is exactly no government will inform the people of an impending disaster for which there is no escape . So party down dude while you can .

Is this what you call "dodging the question"? I believe it is. Refer to my previous post and please answer my question...without belittling me with your assumptions, preferably.
edit on 10-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I was not trying to be condescending to you . But it is a fact that young people do not want to envision things that will bring down gloom and doom on their lives and this is understandable . Eternity and everlasting life under the watchful eye of Jesus Christ does not appeal to a young health person who has the potential for many parties and sexual partners and all the toys out there . On the other hand people over 60 have passed all that by and now with all the new fads which appear to be of Satan , seek their maker .
As for proof of the return of Jesus thats coming soon . But you can answer for me how life started on earth , and consider DNA is in every living cell and does not randomly occur under any circumstances even with C Sagans billion years thrown in . The later proves to me intelligent design by God . See if you can answer that one .

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

The bible has been tampered with and rewritten by whomever took the charge or felt like it; the same thing happens everyday of the week when people "interpret". The bible etc. are irrelevant books to anything going on with countries now, except that they have caused most all of the worlds conflicts. Religion that condemns and creates separation has no place in society; it is a scourge.

You can take anything out of context; and make it say whatever you want it to say. It's a sad state of affairs when actual facts are taken figuratively; and some delusional hokum taken so literally. I'm not a communist, but Mao Zedong had it right when he said religion is poison. Of all people the dalai lama took these words to heart; and urged Buddhists to remember; that the Buddha said do not have blind faith or belief...get in there and dig find the truth from DIRECT experience, anything else is delusion.

But of course, Buddhism is not a religion; it is a psychology, it is self analysis it makes one very aware of their impact in the world and on those around them by the choices and actions they take; with a strict do no harm policy...of course like anything there are people in it with poor understanding that go against the core foundation.

On the other hand, you have an individual that may or may not have existed; the Romans and Greeks kept a census, just like we have; they made a count and took names of everyone in a household, under their empire; and if they somehow missed the census, he couldn't have been missed getting his name logged when he got crucified. Crucifixion was a very common punishment 100's of people were crucified. There is no record of Jesus ever to be found, yet many "lesser" named figures in the same exact place are. One would think Jesus would have been well known and would have been mentioned at least once...some kind of record, other than the Bible but fact is he isn't found anywhere else.

I am not saying toss out your beliefs or that faith is not a powerful thing, just be aware that these beliefs and faiths harm the world's people way more than help it.

As far as keeping on topic; I apologize for straying a bit wide of that. Eternity is usually taken in a relative context, usually in the negative...example: I ran out of gas and had to walk 4 miles it took an eternity. It is interesting to note that an eternity taken in this type of context, seems as the time frame in which an ordeal takes place. This seems to be the modern connotation of use at least...

I think everlasting life and eternity were used interchangeably with one another; as well as separately, depending on the circumstances, as well as together. But eternity and everlasting are adjectives to describe the subject. If we take the subject to be LIFE; then eternal life and everlasting life would be the same thing: Immortality.

Wondering what this eternal everlasting life would consist of is I suppose key; to whether one would want it or not...as stated before; I would rather not continue on living under any form or circumstance, after my body breathes it's last.

edit on 10-9-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

You seem pretty young , the avatar gives you away . The older people really haven't grasped the computer so much . The ability to see and face things that are not very fun or pretty comes with age and wisdom .

For lack of a better answer, you belittle me according to the youth you have apparently defined me with?

Hey, not me -- I'm pretty old, and I like Goku a lot. Right in the middle of a DB/DBZ marathon, as we speak, in fact :-)

While there is something to there being differing views among different ages groups (I'd be the first to admit that my perspective has changed a lot as I've aged,) I don't think that's the case here, and it doesn't invalidate your opinion, even if it was.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

Your logic seems to leave a big hole in your reality . How did life get on earth . Scientist have taken stabs at it and many have been satisfied by their BS answers. Carl Sagan throws a couple of Billion years in and nobody wants to question him . They then shot themselves in the foot with the discovery of DNA being in every living cell .
The KJV bible was translated to English where we could read it for ourselves . If there were anything that was different from the scrolls it would have been paraded throughout the world . The text has been researched over an over . As far as the Romans and their records of the census or crucifixions I have not been able to find them . When Rome burnt I would imagine they burned also.
The fact is that you have not read the bible with the intent to study it . You may have contemptuously read it to disprove it in your own mind . For there is prophecy in it that explains what we are heading for that is plain to see.
The Temple of God will be rebuilt . Israel is waiting to do that . The Mark of the Beast is only now possible to implement with world wide web . The Global government and the global money is fast coming . With all of this it is the Jews bringing it on . This is the chosen like Judas was .
The war of Gog and Magog is about to start and the plague in Zachariah 14 verse 12 where Israel pours out a plague on those that come against it is a direct description of an Abomb . These are some of the obvious things .
You aren't on some mission of good to save me from myself . You are on a mission to make some sense of you life decisions .

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Evolution theory and the Bible are both Swiss cheese. My problem is seeing how both parties are so desperate for answers that they're willing to cram a cube into a circular hole.

Instead of figuring out where we came from, let's try to figure out where we are. After all, we've got forever to set a course, right? So let's work on our problems in the here and now instead of worrying about where we came from because right now, all it's doing is CAUSING MORE PROBLEMS!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness

The bible has been tampered with and rewritten by whomever took the charge or felt like it; the same thing happens everyday of the week when people "interpret". The bible etc. are irrelevant books to anything going on with countries now, except that they have caused most all of the worlds conflicts. Religion that condemns and creates separation has no place in society; it is a scourge.

You can take anything out of context; and make it say whatever you want it to say. It's a sad state of affairs when actual facts are taken figuratively; and some delusional hokum taken so literally. I'm not a communist, but Mao Zedong had it right when he said religion is poison. Of all people the dalai lama took these words to heart; and urged Buddhists to remember; that the Buddha said do not have blind faith or belief...get in there and dig find the truth from DIRECT experience, anything else is delusion.

But of course, Buddhism is not a religion; it is a psychology, it is self analysis it makes one very aware of their impact in the world and on those around them by the choices and actions they take; with a strict do no harm policy...of course like anything there are people in it with poor understanding that go against the core foundation.

On the other hand, you have an individual that may or may not have existed; the Romans and Greeks kept a census, just like we have; they made a count and took names of everyone in a household, under their empire; and if they somehow missed the census, he couldn't have been missed getting his name logged when he got crucified. Crucifixion was a very common punishment 100's of people were crucified. There is no record of Jesus ever to be found, yet many "lesser" named figures in the same exact place are. One would think Jesus would have been well known and would have been mentioned at least once...some kind of record, other than the Bible but fact is he isn't found anywhere else.

I am not saying toss out your beliefs or that faith is not a powerful thing, just be aware that these beliefs and faiths harm the world's people way more than help it.

As far as keeping on topic; I apologize for straying a bit wide of that. Eternity is usually taken in a relative context, usually in the negative...example: I ran out of gas and had to walk 4 miles it took an eternity. It is interesting to note that an eternity taken in this type of context, seems as the time frame in which an ordeal takes place. This seems to be the modern connotation of use at least...

I think everlasting life and eternity were used interchangeably with one another; as well as separately, depending on the circumstances, as well as together. But eternity and everlasting are adjectives to describe the subject. If we take the subject to be LIFE; then eternal life and everlasting life would be the same thing: Immortality.

Wondering what this eternal everlasting life would consist of is I suppose key; to whether one would want it or not...as stated before; I would rather not continue on living under any form or circumstance, after my body breathes it's last.

edit on 10-9-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp

Are you claiming you are without beliefs? Are SOME beliefs OK but religious beliefs are poison? Is loving your neighbor a poisonous belief? What about the illusory nature of material reality? Is that a poisonous belief?

You seem really frustrated with "Religion". And yet your emotion is entirely based on belief. Backed up by the misconception and non-factual notion that you yourself don't operate on beliefs. It's interesting..

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Religious beliefs that are used to divide ARE poison, yes. Anything that divides where unity is more helpful, can be considered poisonous. It doesn't matter how it was meant to be used; people are using it in a more detrimental way, and that's what's important.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by rwfresh

Religious beliefs that are used to divide ARE poison, yes. Anything that divides where unity is more helpful, can be considered poisonous. It doesn't matter how it was meant to be used; people are using it in a more detrimental way, and that's what's important.

Oh ok i see. If we take all Religious beliefs and measure their divisive or unifying qualities we can conclusively say that Religions are poison. Am i following you?

Following that we can conclude that the ~6 billion people that follow some kind of religious belief in whole or in part are in fact poisoned by religion and are potentially the cause of division in our society?

I would suggest that the large majority of people who might be considered "religious" are totally moderate and non-violent. And we should look at any belief system that threatens that majority's well being very seriously.

You see with MAO, we have a great example of an ego gone wild.. Ignorance proclaimed as fact. Sick and perverted beliefs SO strong that the result is mass murder on a scale not seen since.

So.. agreeing with this obvious ignorant, out of touch, sick and perverted individual is really telling. It's a real world factual example of what kind of behaviors particular ignorant beliefs lead to.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

The question is a reasonable question . You question the bible and its creation verbage . I find that there are absolutes in this world . The bible offered the answer to how we were introduced on this earth and science has no alternative provable answers . Even today God could not convey to our smartest people how he created life . That would compare to someone trying to tell you how circuitry in your TV works to produce a picture . The average person would only be able to handle plugging it in and turn it on . So that is why Gods creation was explained in simply terms .
If you can not explain how we came to be on this earth you can not discard the biblical explanation even though you are not comfortable with it . The prophecy in the bible is for todays time . Israel came back to their land after 2000 years just like the bible said in Ezekiel 37. We are about to see the decimation of 2/3rds of Israel as in Ezekiel 38 . The Arabs now have the ability to hit Israels runways thus grounding their jets .And Israel will use their Nukes per the plague in Zachariah 14 verse 12 .
These things that are either fact as in Ezekiel 37 and about to be fact in Ezekiel 38 are of great concern to us all , like it or not . If nothing else this war will stall our economy because of the extreme oil prices because of the Strait of Hormuz choke point . So you may want to learn about the upcoming events first hand . You don't have to tell anybody you did .

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

I find it interesting that you keep mentioning DNA as a point for creation. The fact that every single living creatures DNA coding string can be found within every other living thing on this planet, shows just the opposite. If everything's DNA was unique and didn't contain all other life codes in it that would leave a question of why is it like that to be studied. Forgive me if that sounds confusing, simply put the DNA in your body also contains the DNA sequences for all life that has ever existed, from a gnat, to a brontosaurus. DNA research points away from creationism and more towards evolution, evolution is not a theory by the way anymore it is accepted as fact.

DNA is a very large molecule, made up of smaller units called nucleotides that are strung together in a row, making a DNA molecule thousands of times longer than it is wide.

Each nucleotide has three parts: a sugar molecule, a phosphate molecule, and a structure called a nitrogenous base. The nitrogenous base is the part of the nucleotide that carries genetic information, so the words "nucleotide" and "base" are often used interchangeably. The bases found in DNA come in four varieties: adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine—often abbreviated as A, C, G, and T, the letters of the genetic alphabet.

The building blocks for life are plentiful in the universe, there was a recent discovery last week of a sugar molecule floating around a star. news.nationalgeographic.com...

All of the ingredients for life are pretty much everywhere, all around us...there are molecules of chicken floating around your head right now, in a very basic sense. en.wikipedia.org...

If religion is used for internal growth and promote goodwill outward into the world; fine and dandy rock on. But most of the time is it not...it is twisted and perverted to fit whatever the person wants it to fit and that gets passed onto everyone else as truth. That in turn creates conflict, your neighbor is no longer your brother or sister, but a heathen, a gay, a whatever, to hate...THAT is the poison of religion. Nationalism does the same thing, people hate each other though they've never met. It is in no way rational, but then again over 90 percent of the people of the world are just followers, so it's not surprising.

The sad thing is people want their beliefs to be true, so they try to make these prophecies come true; when you have groups as large as Christians, Jews, and Muslims etc. expecting these things to come true...what do you think you're going to get? That's right, a whole lot of people trying to light a match thinking they can set of the dynamite to start some nonsense called armageddon.

We have choices ya know...which mean we can make things happen moment to moment based on these actions, and these actions create reality. Thoughts, beliefs, and ideas create nothing; only actions affect reality. So instead of actions that harm, choose actions that help...it's that damn simple. But then again sheep can't make a such a decision sheep can only follow.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness

I find it interesting that you keep mentioning DNA as a point for creation. The fact that every single living creatures DNA coding string can be found within every other living thing on this planet, shows just the opposite. If everything's DNA was unique and didn't contain all other life codes in it that would leave a question of why is it like that to be studied. Forgive me if that sounds confusing, simply put the DNA in your body also contains the DNA sequences for all life that has ever existed, from a gnat, to a brontosaurus.

No, it doesn't. True, all DNA consists of the same components, and it's the order that makes individual instances unique, but what you're claiming is equivalent to saying "all words are the same, because they all contain letters from a common alphabet."

evolution is not a theory by the way anymore it is accepted as fact.

That's more of a philosophical question, but one needs to bear in mind that evolution as a process is a fact, but its application, in most cases, represents a theory. Saying "Homo Sapiens descended from single celled creatures through the process of evolution" is not a fact, but a theory, as it is currently not provable.

The building blocks for life are plentiful in the universe, there was a recent discovery last week of a sugar molecule floating around a star.

The obvious question that raises is "if the building blocks for life are so common, why isn't life?" Such a discovery significantly reduces the likelihood that intelligent life is the inevitable result of the laws of our universe. Reference the Fermi Paradox -- yes, I know that there are reasonable objections to it, but the more we learn about the state of reality, the larger the paradox looms.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

You have again missed the point . Life , all life is not an accidental occurance . It did not just randomly appear on this cocktail of a chemical rich rock we live on . It also couldn't travel through the voids of space because of the inhospitably of said environment . Therefore I accept the bible explanation simply because there is none other that can overthrow it . You may not see that logic or it may be inconvenient to your lifestyle but that does not make it invalid . Most people who reject the bible do so having never having studied it but only parroting the negative reviews of like minded people . But as I have heard people will believe what they want .

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

But it is a fact that young people do not want to envision things that will bring down gloom and doom on their lives and this is understandable .

You don't know anything about my life, and therefore, you know nothing about how I lok at life. I may be young, but mentally, I am far more mature than most people my age. Many my age are still thinking about sex and cars and all the superficial stuff. I sit down and quietly ponder what exactly it would take to prevent this world from completing its current crash course into oblivion.

Eternity and everlasting life under the watchful eye of Jesus Christ does not appeal to a young health person who has the potential for many parties and sexual partners and all the toys out there .

I believe in borrowing philosophies, not worshipping their author.

On the other hand people over 60 have passed all that by and now with all the new fads which appear to be of Satan , seek their maker .
As for proof of the return of Jesus thats coming soon .

Thank you for clarifying the futility of this conversation.

But you can answer for me how life started on earth , and consider DNA is in every living cell and does not randomly occur under any circumstances even with C Sagans billion years thrown in . The later proves to me intelligent design by God . See if you can answer that one .

Not once have I posted on this site that a higher power doesn't exist. I have, however, declared numerous times that your understanding of that higher power is so erroneous as to be both laughable and pitiful. The moment the NT's authors decided to make your "God" omnipotent and omniscient, and yet went on to apply human characteristics as well, is the moment they doomed their theological creation.

There's a certain truth to your faith, but you choose to amphasize the more fantastic aspects of it because it's more comforting. And that's really all it's about, isn't it? Comfort.

Hence, everalsting life...because we're afraid of not knowing what comes after death. An eternity of life is much preferable, to most, than an eternity of floating in darkness or whatever we're afraid comes after life ends.
edit on 11-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I could not have rebutted you as well as you have just done . I can understand your temperament , we have all been there . The very unsettling and somewhat life threatening events we are facing are tangible and are not going away no matter what you attribute them to. Life in the world and America is going to drastically change for the worse and I have grandchildren and great grandchildren who are going to go through it .
As for life everlasting the bible says that every man shall die the first death or the death of the flesh . Jesus did and so will the 2 men who have not died ,who were taken before the time of Jesus . The 2 witnesses Elijah and Enoch will die in the streets of Jerusalem . The soul will then exist with Jesus . The many life after death experiences documented by doctors shows the body and the soul are two different entities . One such experience was shared on this site by a Moderator . The other destination for souls is the Lake of Fire .
I am not trying to boast in any way, I do not own it , but only seek that Grace and Mercy offered .

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join