It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegally Dumping Millions of Gallons of Fracking Wastewater in Streets and Rivers at Night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Toxic Wastewater Dumped in Streets and Rivers at Night: Gas Profiteers Getting Away With Shocking Environmental Crimes

Allan Shipman was found guilty of illegally dumping millions of gallons of natural gas drilling wastewater. But he's part of a much bigger problem.

On March 17, 2011 Greene County resident Robert Allan Shipman and his company, Allan’s Waste Water Service Inc., were charged with illegally dumping millions of gallons of natural gas drilling wastewater, along with restaurant grease and sewer sludge across six counties in Pennsylvania from 2003-2009. Pennsylvania is one of several states that sit atop the gas-rich underground rock formation the Marcellus Shale. Hydraulic fracturing, the process used for retrieving the gas, is a water-intensive drilling method that not only requires massive volumes of water to unlock the gas, but also generates millions of gallons of wastewater when the drilling is done.

The two-year investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office resulted in a total of 98 criminal counts charged against the 50-year-old Shipman and an additional 77 charges levied at his company. Said Nils Frederiksen , spokesman for the attorney general’s office, “He was pouring the stuff in any hole he could find.”

CNX Gas Co. LLP, a subsidiary of Consol Energy, a company Shipman was hauling for, “Shipman showed the drivers how to leave open the gas well valves and ordered them to discharge production water onto the ground and/or into the nearby waterways.” Drivers’ testimony added, “This activity would typically occur after dark or during heavy rain so that no one would observe the illegal discharge.”

Nice to see that when Fracking was approved in the state of Pennsylvania and Ohio, how quickly officials turned a blind eye to how those toxic chemicals were going to be disposed of - so much for "we'll make sure it's safe". I'm not against natural gas - it's much cleaner burning than coal - but why is it we can't apply even the slightest amount to diligence in protecting the environment?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
in Seattle, a dude had a commercial looking tank pulling behind his 1-ton pick=up with a remote dump switch....I saw it empty out the bottom fitting ( about a 1 inch pipe).....let her rip on I-5 just north of town right there in the middle lane....drained maybe for 5 miles

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

I hope you reported that malpractice. Disgusting.

2nd.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
You have criminals like that everywhere we get them in the calif desert that dump waste down old mines.

Problem is these mines are owned by some one and the owners get real p***ed.

One got caught years ago and the mine owner ended up owning a trucking company.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
in Seattle, a dude had a commercial looking tank pulling behind his 1-ton pick=up with a remote dump switch....I saw it empty out the bottom fitting ( about a 1 inch pipe).....let her rip on I-5 just north of town right there in the middle lane....drained maybe for 5 miles

One night in PA I was following a tanker draining as it was driving also. When I got home I mentioned it to my husband even.
I should have taken down his plate number and called the cops. Even if it was all gone, his trail was there.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Bleeping disgusting
I get all bent out of shape when one of my kids tries to discard a paper sucker/lollipop wrapper on the ground, chemical dumping anywhere is beyond deplorable. With any luck, Karma will see fit to sentence the people responsible with diseases related to these chemicals. It seems only fair, it would be Nature's poetic justice.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

It's ok. The earth is warming and going to kill us all. Just pay carbon tax. Nothing else matters.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
How would you like to think that the nice, quiet pristine countryside you reside it, far away from the polluted cities, is in reality a nighttime dumping ground for fracking fluids, just so some shyster disposal company can shave a few bucks off their dumping fees for a little extra profit? And this, after all the media hoopla coming from the fracking companies over how safe fracking would be because they'd never expose it to groundwater.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
How would you like to think that the nice, quiet pristine countryside you reside it, far away from the polluted cities, is in reality a nighttime dumping ground for fracking fluids, just so some shyster disposal company can shave a few bucks off their dumping fees for a little extra profit? And this, after all the media hoopla coming from the fracking companies over how safe fracking would be because they'd never expose it to groundwater.

It's absolutely, horrifyingly disgusting in every way.. But completely expected unfortunately. We live in a hell world. Imagine being born in a North Korean work camp and having to eat your dead mother to stay alive. Why would we be so lucky to live in a quiet pristine countryside? It's all a fairytale and reality is coming through. The world is about to re-distribute the hell-wealth into North America.

Poisons, violence, domination, horror. Honestly.. it is horrible.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

The people whom are doing this ought to get Jail time...and alot of it....Makes me sick......

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Now we know why some people's tap water is bursting into flames
woman ignites tap water

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well on paper the petroleum company (Generator) is still liable for the cleanup as well as anyone who gave waste to the hauler.
It is called cradle to grave tracking mentioned in a bit of light reading called 49CFR.

It happens from one end of the country to the other.
If the price for waste disposal is too low there is probably a reason.

Do a search on a place called Western Environmental. They thought they would be exempt from Federal laws by placing their waste treament facility on soverign indian land. Unfortunately you are an indian (without a SSN) you are not immune from their web of rules and regulations.
However many of the Calif Gov sites sent their waste to Western and it will be interesting how they spin the laws to the privately owned facilities are required to pay for the governments portion of the cleanup. Another classic case of I make laws for 'you' to follow but I am exempt from them.

edit on 6-9-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Sick.

What brings people to do this? Complete selfishness, knowing that it could harm People, Wildlife and mess up the Environment even more. Hope the authorities wise up to this.

Reminds me of that movie with John Travolta, A Civil Action!

Tsom87

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

The hauler no doubt gave them a very good price for disposal. If something is cheap there is a reason for it being so.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
We found out water you boil corn on the cob is concidered wast and must be put down the sewer or stored till you can do it??? Yup got warned in a start forest campground out in the middle of nowhere not to dump it on the ground. A ranger came up to check our permit we were the only one there. We had corn boiling invited him to have lunch with us. But a fire and grease from the burgers was OK???

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

F&S to the marketeer for another great OP!

This practice is truly disgusting and criminal yet it goes on everyday. I think that part of the problem is the fact that we allow them to dispose of this contaminated water in the first place. IMO, if they contaminated it, then they should be forced to reuse it and/or decontaminate it before final release back into the environment. Otherwise, it's nothing more than someone else's future problem, like Love Canal.

But then, I'm kinda, sorta against horizontal hydraulic fracturing altogether. At least until they come up with a method that is proven not to pollute and/or cause other negative side effects, like earthquakes.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
See? This is what happenes when you over-regulate business. If we could just get a government in-place that would roll-back these business-killing regulations that company wouldn't be dumping wastewater in the middle of the night. They could do it in broad daylight. Just think of the jobs it would create!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I was about to rage-post a reply, but then saw the sarcasm in your post... good one lol, almost had me!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hmm now youve got me thinking, about where my parents live. Here in Arkansas they do a lot of Gas drilling, everywhere you look there is a gas well. I work near a highway and everyday, all day, I see big tankers coming from the drilling platforms south of where I live. Now I know that they use some muddy liquid to fill in what they take out in gas, so not to make huge sink holes, but i dont know if they fracture the ground around here. Anyways My parents live next the Company that owns and operates these tankers. They have many humugous barrels of liquid on the property, but I never see them empty any of this liquid, or empty it from there trucks either. ill be keeping an eye on this, Sadly it would be a money saver to just dump the liquid, and it wouldnt be very hard around hear either, because of the Arkansas River is very close by, just dump it and go on.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The problem with frack water is that it is slightly radioactive and must be disposed of properly. In North Texas they pump the frack water into tankers and haul it to dry gas wells and pump it into them which is safe because the wells go thousands of feet below the aquifer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join