It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defenders of the Alamo Drunks and Crooks according to Castro's Mother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Maria del Rosario Castro, the mother of San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, said in 2010 that she grew up being told the battle was “glorious,” only to learn the so-called heroes were really “a bunch of drunks and crooks and slaveholding imperialists who conquered land that didn’t belong to them.” Read more: www.foxnews.com...

So the Texans stole the Mexican's land and the Americans were nothing but drunks and crooks. Is she really trying to give the land back to Mexico? Is this just another case of I got the spot light so instead of saying something good I will just say the most erratic thing I can.

Source

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Remember the battle of San Jacinto.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JValhalla

Here's a snippet from the Wikipedia article on Jim Bowie:

"...a 19th-century American pioneer, soldier, smuggler, slave trader, and land speculator, played a prominent role in the Texas Revolution, culminating in his death at the Battle of the Alamo."

These were adventurers of an earlier age. Their names and histories are known; it's not hard to do a little research and get an idea of how they pieced together their livings. I'm sure there were more than a few of what we would now consider (at the very least) uncouth freebooters. Nothing to be ashamed of....

Edit: I might also add that, from an objective, "law of nations" point of view, that the US did steal Texas from the Mexico. I realize that such a viewpoint may antagonize a few Texans. But, hey--you don't know where I live....
edit on 9/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I despise the democrats and republicans equally.

I saw this story earlier today, and my first thought was. "Really!?, Who gives a flying crap, about what someone's mom thinks about the Alamo?"

Must have been a slow news day if this is what they are peddling.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JValhalla

Who cares what his mother thinks?!! Cuba is still communist and their people ALL want to come to the US!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wasnt it the wild west (or south)
Wouldnt those men have all been a little wild, or just a few blokes sipping tea and knitting new sweaters while watering their flowers.
Of course there were drunks and crooks, drunks and crooks can defend and stand up for what they believe as well, sometimes.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Edit: I might also add that, from an objective, "law of nations" point of view, that the US did steal Texas from the Mexico. I realize that such a viewpoint may antagonize a few Texans. But, hey--you don't know where I live....

The US didn't steal Texas from Mexico. Texas was a sovereign state when it joined the US. Texans stole Texas.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
Wasnt it the wild west (or south)
Wouldnt those men have all been a little wild, or just a few blokes sipping tea and knitting new sweaters while watering their flowers.
Of course there were drunks and crooks, drunks and crooks can defend and stand up for what they believe as well, sometimes.

Or in the case of the Alamo attempt to defend.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
All in All remember the Alamo!!!! texas is Texas we have all the main resources
break off from the u.s and distribute to the rest of the states the south is real patriotic the civil war was never over part 2 of that time is now i see it coming to tell you the truth i mean come on now look at every thing these present days its on the verg of civil unrest wide spreadd awakening has began
over throw coruption and give it back to thee people

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

We didn't steal Texas! We earned it!!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'll grant her this in a big way. She has moxy and guts. There are some things I just wouldn't say in some places. Really.

For instance, I don't believe I'd yell 'Save the Guards!' if caught in a prison riot. I'm pretty sure yelling out "usa! usa! usa!" while walking down a back alley in Baghdad would still be considered a really bad idea. I'd even make a strong point of refraining from making fun of the French while IN France. I hear they get oh so touchy about that. Oui?

So, I'm left wondering....what in the name of all that has intelligence, possessed the mother of the Mayor in a major Texas city to dump on people I think a Texan puts HIGHER than George Washington or Thomas Jefferson in some ways. She absolutely speaks her mind. No one could fault her there.....Although the son may be a bad Holiday guest after the next election he's up for.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rexamus

You Better Belive It Brother

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
and the whole san antonio thing was a trasure hunt

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Who cares what a politicians mother thinks? It's not him, he is a separate human being.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
reply to post by Ex_CT2

The US didn't steal Texas from Mexico. Texas was a sovereign state when it joined the US. Texans stole Texas.

I stand corrected.
edit on 9/5/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
No one is trying to take Texas and give it to Mexico. She is standing up for our rights as Latinos. Yes we have had a a major civil rights movement also for those that don't know, and were treated second class for many generations and were segregated. We were part of the signs that said "no colored people" .This is just a sad attempt to spin her words and discredit the Latino civil rights movement

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

And just where do you think those drunks and crooks, I mean Texans came from? Yes that is right they were immigrants from the U.S..

Either way still not sure why this article even exists really. You don't exactly see the Native Americans having a fond view of Andrew Jackson now do you? Face it we are not and were not ever a perfect nation, the thing that sets us apart from the rest of the world is damn it we just keep trying to be. It is ok to say we were wrong or that we did something not quite honest. it isn't however ok to wash over the wrongs we committed so we can do them again.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What no one is talking about is that Mayor Castro has all but been linked to Mexican drug cartels.

Greg Abbott the AG of Texas (And more powerful than the Governor of TX, thank you E.J. Davis) is already haunting Mayor Castro.

Besides this guy is now facing a A- a recall election petition, B- has had to request security from the DPS (TX state troopers) due to death threats, C- not getting reelected within the state (his polls have tanked recently, wonder why? Thanks Mommy), D- backlash from Tejanos and finally E- not being invited to the TX mayor's council this month (only one not invited.)

Funny how dumb people can breed smart people, genetics and all.

All I have to say is...

COME AND TAKE IT

top topics

join