REC3: Genesis

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is a Zombie movie. I got to see tonight thanks to a channel called HDNet. It's not out in theaters yet so I don't want to give out too many spoilers.

Premise: A young couple gets married. At the reception, they are attacked by a hoard of Zombies

It's not a bad movie, as far as zombie movies go. The zombies are not slow, but they don't seem to sprint.

There is, of course, a fair amount of blood. Body parts go flying.

You don't want to mess with the bride when she's wielding a chainsaw.

As far as Zombie movies go, this does have something unique.Its based on some passages from a Bible, and a priest speaks out the passage from the book of Genesis from memory.

And faith, real faith, seems to work against the zombies. They are repelled by prayer and holy water.

Overall, it's not a bad movie. Usually i give zombie movies a C, but this one gets a B because of the unique ability of faith. As far as I know, this is the only zombie movie that has any kind of supernatural ability in it.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Seen it. I thought it was alright, im sure in the Hollywood version its not going to be about faith

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I liked the original Spanish REC quite a bit, the remake (Quarantine) a little less, although it wasn't much different and REC2 even less then that.
From what you describe this one sounds a bit different Is it still shot in shaky hand camera mode?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

It does have some of that in the beginning, but it does switch. At first i thought it was going to be a found footage style movie, where they always have shaky cam and always cut the monsters scenes out so you can['t see anything happening. But it doesn't and it isn't a found footage style. And the shaky cam is not that shaky.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Yes, the age of the found footage shaky camera has gotten pretty old.
Granted, there have been some decent films done in this style, but, it can make a person's eyeballs hurt since our brains are wired more for seeing and interpreting events from the conventional proper orientation steady cam convention.

I've just got [rec] 3, and am rewatching the first and second in the series for refamiliarization since the first two in the series happened at the same location, and almost right on top of each other.

I enjoyed the first two, though that's not too difficult since I've a certain soft spot for zombie literature and film as it's my preferred most 'fun' apocalypse scenario, though it's total fantasy.
I look forward to seeing this third in the series.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Also the tone is much changed in the third one - the light slapstick comedy is introduced and it seems the creators (the team behind REC is changed completely after the second one) cannot handle this mix. Movie is bland, weak and has (almost) nothing in common with the other - brilliant imo - two.

Easily a passable feature.

I recommend you - in the zombie genre - The Dead (2010)

While the rating seems weak the film is superb in terms of excellent atmosphere, few ideas and what matters most for me concious, intelligent decisions taken by the protagonist.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Watched this AGAIN recently, and it's quickly becoming one of my favourite new 'zombie' films. Sure, it's nothing like the previous two films - but the series needed a fresh new direction, especially with the slurry of handheld horrors that are coming out now.

It's funny and very gory. If you liked Braindead or Return Of The Living Dead this film is a MUST! Just dont expect to be scared - instead you'll be laughing and crying.

new topics

top topics

join