It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's richest woman calls for Australian workers to be paid $2 a day to compete with Africans

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
once the laws are changed for one company, the rest will follow.

australia will become an open house for boat people, illegal immigrants and visa overstayers who abuse the system by taking these jobs from locals and thier higher wage neccesity.

many mines supply thier workers with accomadation, food, transport and staples, fly in/out workers to and from such sites which allows a 24/7 hourly production rate. this is one area, where outsourcing to these lower/slave labour income workers may be seen as viable for cost cutting practices. the worker only needs to be onsite for the duration of thier term basicaly cost free of charge, and then return back to where ever country they come from to spend their dollars.

the magnates still become richer, the jobs for australians still become scarce, the spending still goes overseas.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

Originally posted by TRiPWiRE

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

Big girls are always beautiful by the way.

Not to me they aren't. They can keep telling themselves that but I'm sorry, I just see laziness and greed. That applies whether male or female.

Anyone can get fit. Anyone can eat correctly. Letting your body become so disgustingly obese is not natural and quite frankly, revolting. Coupled with the fact that this woman holds ridiculous amounts of money that is simply not required by a single human just adds to that disgust.

Having worked in 3rd world countries, you should see the looks on the faces of the starving when some lardy-pants comes strolling in. You can almost see those sick with hunger realising that "this person eats more in a day than our whole village gets in a month"... but hey, "big is beautiful", apparently.

Western greed.
edit on 6/9/12 by TRiPWiRE because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/9/12 by TRiPWiRE because: (no reason given)

They most certainly do not tell themselves they are beautiful at all, for the most part.

Third world countries aren't starving because there are fat people on the planet man, get a grip.

I never said that was the cause of their plight. Not once. Please don't draw incorrect conclusions from a paragraph of text on a forum. Sigh.

Could it be Western greed or Western conditioning (equally as toxic)? Huh?
Which is it?
Do you atribute any emotional issues with weight either? I guess since you are so unforgiving you wouldn't.

Emotional issues do come into it. Just the same as someone who smokes due to stress. Either way, I've helped quite a number of people with either emotional issues or just plain "I like to eat stuff" issues. Both lost weight with training and diet.

Westerners could do with a big dose of what most other people on the planet have had to endure to survive and then, no, there wouldn't be so many obese people, and families might be closer, like the rich like to play it.
There also wouldn't be the VAST amounts of sickness and disease (in western society) which keep the big money people in employ either, because we are the biggest consumers of medications too, from that conditioning!

I totally agree.

If I wasn't a 'westerner' I would feel sorry for us in the way we have all been played and lead by the nose, to disease and disharmony. You are a classic example.

Not sure what made you come to that conclusion.

FYI 58kg 5"7' get stuffed!

78 KG's 6'7". Why do I have to get stuffed? I'm not even sure why you felt it necessary to post your particular weight. I never referred to YOU as obese. I don't even know you. I tend to try and not draw incorrect conclusions based on a forum post. How about yourself?

Fat is NOT the reason we are in such a mess, and you are one cold fish man.

I've helped train numerous overweight people. I don't treat them like babies but I do help them to the best of my ability. The results speak for themselves. If I'm "one cold fish", why do I go out of my way to assist those who want to be assisted. Either overweight people or the work we have done (repeatedly) with those in 3rd world countries? What have you done that makes you such a "warm fish"...?

edit on 8/9/12 by TRiPWiRE because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/9/12 by TRiPWiRE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Calm down and see redgy's post. It sums up the mindset of most westerners: the problem is not the rich who screw you over, but boat people and illegal immigrants.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

edit on 8-9-2012 by reppie because: DP

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by reppie

Calm down and see redgy's post. It sums up the mindset of most westerners: the problem is not the rich who screw you over, but boat people and illegal immigrants.

Well, it seems to me redgy just stated the facts, so not sure what you disagree with? I really would appreciate if you could give us some idea of what the cost of living is like in India...you don't have to be as specific as I am willing to be, it takes $3000 a month to pay my basic bills, and that is living modestly...no extras.....

I know our currency is different, but what is an average cost, and I will do the math, to live in India per month for an average family?

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by sitchin

she was stating that her company and many like hers can't compete with Africa competitors because of there $2 a day wages ....

so how can the problem be solved so they can compete?

1. lower Australian wages in-line with African wages.

or

2. call for global action to pay all Africans a fair wage in-line with Australians.

seeing as though she is addressing Australians it sounds to me like she is asking Australians to accept less wages so companies can compete.

if that is the case then it is worth pointing out Australian workers are human beings too.

I think her speech was aimed at the government to reduce carbon taxes ect ..

Africa is a developing country ..so most developed countries can't compete with wage labour

$2 dollars a day is a great wage in Africa enabling them to live a very comfortable life and in comparison is well above the minimum wage ...any Africans coming to Australia will receive min wage which is around 15 dollars an hour (correct me if im wrong) this would enable them to send money home making there families very wealthy

only down side is Australian miners jobs will be at risk if the company decides to pay basic wage rather than competitive wages as they do at present

as it stands Africa can produce and sell the same product of mineral ore for $100 less per tonne than Rineharts company

you do the maths

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sitchin

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by sitchin

she was stating that her company and many like hers can't compete with Africa competitors because of there $2 a day wages ....

so how can the problem be solved so they can compete?

1. lower Australian wages in-line with African wages.

or

2. call for global action to pay all Africans a fair wage in-line with Australians.

seeing as though she is addressing Australians it sounds to me like she is asking Australians to accept less wages so companies can compete.

if that is the case then it is worth pointing out Australian workers are human beings too.

I think her speech was aimed at the government to reduce carbon taxes ect ..

Africa is a developing country ..so most developed countries can't compete with wage labour

$2 dollars a day is a great wage in Africa enabling them to live a very comfortable life and in comparison is well above the minimum wage ...any Africans coming to Australia will receive min wage which is around 15 dollars an hour (correct me if im wrong) this would enable them to send money home making there families very wealthy

only down side is Australian miners jobs will be at risk if the company decides to pay basic wage rather than competitive wages as they do at present

as it stands Africa can produce and sell the same product of mineral ore for $100 less per tonne than Rineharts company

you do the maths

Oh dear - you have fallen for the oldest trick in the capitalists evil handbook.

$2 per day is just enough to keep them alive, whist still trapping them in poverty from which they have no possible escape. Don't think for a minute the mine owners are doing anyone a favor. They are using people for their own profit. A huge profit which keeps them in luxury and opulence while the workers struggle to feed their families.

And think about the minimum wage - what your employers is saying is that "I would pay you less if I could". Yeah, thanks dude. And we all know the minimum wage is not enough to live on. Way below the governments own published poverty line. I did the maths. Gina Reinhart is rich enough to end homelessness and poverty in the whole of Africa, and still have enough left over for a couple of yachts and a Caribbean Island to anchor them by. Because she was lucky enough to be born into a wealthy family. And she has the cheek to talk the way she does. She makes me sick.

Don't let the capitalists hoodwink you people. They would sell you for dog meat if it was legal and there was a profit in it for them.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Very well said....

So what the heck can we do about it? I ask this question from the bottom of my heart.....
Voting is not going to work.....I hate the idea of violence....I just don't know...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
reply to post by Shamatt

Very well said....

So what the heck can we do about it? I ask this question from the bottom of my heart.....
Voting is not going to work.....I hate the idea of violence....I just don't know...

Join your local Occupy movement. It is the 1 year anniversary coming up, if we constantly flood the streets with protesters we might gain enough momentum to start changing things.

Nothing short of a revolution will change this. Stand shoulder to shoulder with your brothers and sisters and make the 1% give us back our money!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Don't let the capitalists hoodwink you people. They would sell you for dog meat if it was legal and there was a profit in it for them.

what do you mean by you people ?

regardless of how rich Rinehart is ..her mining business can't compete with under developed nations

what do you want her to do?,,,run it at a loss? ..if countries are not buying her product she wont be in business very long and that is very bad for thousands of workers who depend on a wage

At the outbreak of the Second World War, two million women were still employed in domestic service. Wages were still only 25p a week in the uk ..

Africa has the potential to be as rich as Britain was during the Victorian era ..$2 dollars a day is a good wage ..

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

You read it wrong.

Don't let them hoodwink you ...... people.

$2 is not a good wage in any country.

Gina Reinbitch increased her wealth by $19 Billion Australian last year alone. She will never make a loss.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
its her wealth ..why not pick on bill gates ..or any other rich person..they are in business not welfare.. $2 dollars a day in Africa far exceeds there min wage structure ..so in that respect they are well paid

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

its her wealth ..why not pick on bill gates ..or any other rich person..they are in business not welfare.. $2 dollars a day in Africa far exceeds there min wage structure ..so in that respect they are well paid

Gates has not gone on you tube to spout like she has - stay on topic dude.

Any way - it's pointless arguing with you. I will never get you to see how damaging opinions like yours are. You will never convince me $2 per day is anything less than usury. It holds them in poverty. This has been done all over the world for years. Read some history. These poor people live in conditions you would never accept. Why can't they have a decent wage in order to have the luxuries you enjoy each day? Just so some rich dude can get richer. Open your eyes and see the world for what it is brother! Wake up!!!!! Would you rather see poor poverty stricken starving Africans get an extre few dollars, or people like Reinbitch make a extra few billion? Think about it!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

regardless of how rich Rinehart is ..her mining business can't compete with under developed nations

If she cant compete in business; she has no busines in business!. Seriously tho, if she needs to stay competetive then she needs to re-think about her business model. When the hamersley ranges become lakes that will be far too late!.

what do you want her to do?,,,run it at a loss? ..if countries are not buying her product she wont be in business very long and that is very bad for thousands of workers who depend on a wage

Workers move jobs, companies go bust for poor management. Thats the capitalist system, Id prefer if we nationalised the resource sector, but I can just tell that idea would be much to your disdain

At the outbreak of the Second World War, two million women were still employed in domestic service. Wages were still only 25p a week in the uk ..

Sorry? the point of that info was to illustrate?

Africa has the potential to be as rich as Britain was during the Victorian era ..$2 dollars a day is a good wage ..

$2 a day is a good wage??? would you work for that?. Also note that Africa is a continent, not a soverign nation--or does Gina have a plan for that too? Is that why she has the Sundance Board shot down??

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
thats something different all together and is for there own government to sort out

once you get a grasp on very simple economics maybe then u'll understand how business works..

if anything rinehart is helping them out bringing them to Australia and paying them $15 an hour ..but im thinking
your dead against that idea as well

Africa is greatly over populated and are very few job opportunities
they dont have ipods,bigmacs and every tax under the sun to pay like we do...most have there own land,there own cattle and grow there own food.... yes there is poverty mainly due to climate ..

its a different world ..south Africa excluded they have very little infrastructure ... foreign money for the 1st time is been invested in Africa and who knows maybe in a few decades there min wage might be better than ours

countries need time to develop ...china has had the forth sight to invest billions into there infrastructure
its foreign money that has allowed people to work in Africa ...its down to the African government to invest its money back into the people.......

with huge mines now operating in Africa now ,there ability to under cut the opposition i can see Africa becoming very wealthy fairly quickly .. hopefully it will be spent on infrastructure, education, sanitation...buts thats down to government

not Rinehart

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

Africa may become rich but you and I both know that money will go to a few rich business men, while the poor stay poor, earning just $2 per day. Which you seem to think is OK. You are obviously one of the lucky rich who endorses taking advantage of the poor. Shame on you.

And for the record, Most of Africa is poor due to wars and politics. Corruption and bribery lets the already rich to pocket aid which was meant for the poor. You have your head in the clouds brother.
edit on 9-9-2012 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

thats something different all together and is for there own government to sort out

once you get a grasp on very simple economics maybe then u'll understand how business works..

Ok, simple economics... let me see if I get this?

Africa is greatly over populated and are very few job opportunities
they dont have ipods,bigmacs and every tax under the sun to pay like we do...most have there own land,there own cattle and grow there own food.... yes there is poverty mainly due to climate ..

So without tax the government cant invest in infrastructure...

its a different world ..south Africa excluded they have very little infrastructure ... foreign money for the 1st time is been invested in Africa and who knows maybe in a few decades there min wage might be better than ours

countries need time to develop ...china has had the forth sight to invest billions into there infrastructure
its foreign money that has allowed people to work in Africa ...its down to the African government to invest its money back into the people.......

with huge mines now operating in Africa now ,there ability to under cut the opposition i can see Africa becoming very wealthy fairly quickly .. hopefully it will be spent on infrastructure, education, sanitation...buts thats down to government

Revenue derived from tax?

not Rinehart

Right....

So when Gina is complaining about the Resources Rent Tax or the Emissions Trading Scheme, she is helping the economy by???

I never got economics as you can see.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Do you agree with this statement of redgy's:
australia will become an open house for boat people, illegal immigrants and visa overstayers who abuse the system by taking these jobs from locals and thier higher wage neccesity.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Well then ,import hundreds of thousands of African workers to go down and work in the pits for 2 dollars a day
And at the end of the week they will be able to buy 1.5 happy meals..
This mouth was not made for talking.
edit on 5-9-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

If they work in Australia, they'll still have to be paid Australian minimum wages.

The only way that she can pay African workers $2 a day is if she employs them in Africa. She'll probably be able to get away with $1.

This type of statement from the 1% makes me wanna throw up.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Shamatt

what do you mean by you people ?

what i would have to do is sell up and cut my losses, if my business is not profitable and cannot compete then i would switch to something that is profitable and where i can compete. but no, this rich woman cannot do this, what must clearly happen is everything and everybody else should change to make her business successful.

it is easier than actually doing work to produce a successful business, instead complain to people and expect them to change their lifestyle so that my business can do well.

why does she not just admit her business is failing and start a new one or go into another type of service or sector. if i ran a business that was unable to afford to pay the going wage in that country and still compete i would look at working hard to make my company appeal more and be unique to stand out and compete in other ways or just start a new one if i had her money.

but no, it is just easier to complain and expect everyone else to change.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join