It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adspeak gets rapturous applause: Michelle Obama Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Firstly, this thread isn't directly about any political affiliations, US politics in general, or any political party. I am in the UK and think most political systems require redoing with revised ethics.

This is about how a whole load of people rapturously applauded, like they actually believed the blatant adspeak, and psychologically active key words and phrases being said.

This speech was clearly written by spin people with a blatant agenda of psychologically appealing to people whilst probably showing no proof of the things said either having happened previously or in the future.

I heard some of this speech whilst listening to the news here in the UK and was very surprised that all these people bought that stuff. It happens here in the UK too but with less drama and less fluffery.

I have worked a lot in advertising and marketing and this is so typical of corporate adspeak.

I know this happens in politics in general but this seemed so obvious, it was like being at a self praising corporate convention on ''moving forward'' with ''our goal within reach'' ''making the future a brighter place'', ''holding our promises'' and ''doing the right thing''.

It was truly cringe worthy.

Surely people are more aware of such political psychology.

Adspeak

ucsc.academia.edu...

our conception of narrative is rooted in the notion that the narrative mode of thought isfundamental to human cognition (Bruner, 1990). That is, we make sense of the social world throughcrafting storied accounts of our participation in it. This cognitive process is key to our ability tounderstand the past and predict future social events (Costabile & Klein, 2008). At the root of thisproposition is a basic assumption about the relationship among language, thought, and socialreality—an assumption that the meaning of words is both relative and arbitrary, all the while servingsome political interest. The stuff of thought is made through our engagement with the world of meanings—our participation in a particular regime of signification. In short, how we think and what we think is rooted in the particular set of meaning-saturated signs and symbols we inherit in a givenpolitical setting.

edit on 5-9-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Could you post a transcript of this speech? I would much rather just read it. If I have to listen to the Wookie speak I might puke.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I stopped listening to it when she said when her husband was a senator he would pick her up for a date in a car that had so much rust that she could see the road go by under her feet.

It's like Mitt Romney's wife saying he picked her up in a Ford Pinto a couple of years ago for a date.

It didn't wash for me.

No surprise for me on the adspeak thing. All politicians speak the same way. Just have to learn to listen to what they say and not hear what they say. Key words mean certain things. Clinton was a master at it. Guess that's why he is so popular.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
CBS reported she wrote the speech herself over a month long period.
twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Could you post a transcript of this speech? I would much rather just read it. If I have to listen to the Wookie speak I might puke.

Wookie? So you openly admit you are a racist?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I only listened to a few words and that was enough. I couldn't watch or listen to the whole thing. Extremely nauseating.

Transcript

Every day, the people I meet inspire me. Every day, they make me proud. Every day, they remind me how blessed we are to live in the greatest nation on Earth. (Applause.)

See, our life before moving to Washington was filled with simple joys — Saturdays at soccer games, Sundays at Grandma’s house, and a date night for Barack and me was either dinner or a movie, because as an exhausted mom, I couldn’t stay awake for both. (Laughter.)

And the truth is, I loved the life we had built for our girls, and I deeply loved the man I had built that life with — and I didn’t want that to change if he became President. (Applause.) I loved Barack just the way he was.

Those are the values that Barack and I — and so many of you — are trying to pass on to our own children. That’s who we are.

That’s how he brought our economy from the brink of collapse to creating jobs again — jobs you can raise a family on, good jobs right here in the United States of America. (Applause.)

And he believes that women are more than capable of making our own choices about our bodies and our health care. (Applause.) That’s what my husband stands for. (Applause.)

etc etc

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

She was probably reading about adspeak and political speeches, mixed in with ''good ole family values'' and ''how to appeal to everybody with a few choice words'', ''motivational speeches for supporting your husbands career'' etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Baldryck

It is such a blatant attempt at manufacturing an image. Credibility should be proven and actual points of relevance to politics made about specific policies instead of 'blah blah we are wonderful'. People should expect much more substance than hogwash.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Wookie? So you openly admit you are a racist?

I'm saying she looks like a Wookie.

Speciesist?

new topics

top topics

join