It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Pledge Allegiance [2014WTC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I stand in front of my students, looking into their scared eyes. They know to focus on the flag hanging above my head, but they can’t help but glance at the soldiers standing on either side of me.

“Attention!” I say sharply, and all twenty students straighten in unison, hands held sharply at their sides. It is an unnatural posture for six year olds, and something inside me cracks wider.

“Salute!” I call. Instantly hands slap over hearts. It only takes a quick glare from one of the soldiers for a couple of students to switch to their correct hands.

“Pledge!” I announce. I pivot sharply to face the flag, my hand held over my heart, and lead my students in the new pledge.

Inside, I am screaming. But to show my true feelings is more than my miserable life, or the lives of my students, is worth. And while I could care less for myself, my students will not suffer for my reticence.

“I pledge allegiance, to the flag,”

I glare at that flag. The Star Spangled Banner is gone, replaced by a red, white, and blue monstrosity. Three white stars, arranged in a pyramid shape on a field of blue. On top of the pyramid is the All-Seeing Eye. At the bottom is a clenched fist; I wonder if it resembles my knotted heart.

“Of the Sovereign States of the New World Order,”

The words stick in my mouth. I feel bile rising. “Keep it together,” I tell myself grimly.

“And to the Triumvirate, for which it stands,”

Monsters, the lot of them. They rose to power on the dead bodies of millions, financed with the money from the elite the world over.

“One world government, united for all,”

Laughable. Only I don’t feel like laughing.

“Serving the people of the world.”

The students trail off, and I can feel the weight of their gaze. I take a moment to collect myself, to gather my wits. I will need them very soon now.

I turn to face my students, and twenty scared eyes look to me for reassurance. I smile, but it feels fake.

“Be seated,” I tell them, and twenty chairs scrape backwards. They are silent, eyes watching the guards.

Eyes watching the guns.

I open the powerpoint presentation the new government mandated we show. For the next thirty minutes, I walk among my students, lightly touching shoulders or patting backs in an attempt to offer comfort.

I can feel the tension in their muscles. My comfort falls short. They won’t have forgotten the executions so soon.

I pray they never forget. Maybe, in twenty years, those memories will fuel a new revolution.

The day ends, and my students line up and shuffle silently down the hall. I smile at each, but receive no smiles in return. It is still too soon for them to smile, the blood in the hall too fresh.

But this is the last day they will face these hallways and their horrific memories, the last day they will smell blood and cordite.

Tomorrow, when the soldiers arrive, my colleagues and I have a little gift planned.

The school opens to the students at 7:15. The teachers and soldiers arrive at 6:50.

The bomb will blow at 7:00.

edit on 5-9-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Very nicely written, i enjoyed reading that.

edit on 5/9/2012 by Neoony because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Perfectly written! Reading these short stories you post makes it feel so real. Sadly enough i can almost see this really happening. Thank you for the great read

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Wow, and I thought your other work was dark. This tops it by a country mile and then some.

S&F for a very chilling read.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

Wow, and I thought your other work was dark. This tops it by a country mile and then some.

S&F for a very chilling read.

It was a very, very rough day at school today.

Maybe someday I'll try my hand at something more lighthearted...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

It's good therapy isn't it?

Currently stuck in Sydney airport again waiting for another flight. Trying to turn my mind to something dark to suit the mood, but too many distractions sadly.

Keep the darkness coming.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Enjoyed, but I've always figured an NWO won't be instituted until a situation presents itself where majority would favor or at least accept it. For example, a world wide market crash and depression followed by food handouts from a centralized international coalition, who would them be seen as a savior. I don't think a martial take over would be as successful, with guards in schools and such.

Anyway, flagged.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Yeah, its not very realistic (I do hope). But it fit the mood I was in.

I'm actually working on another version, with a much more plausible scenario. Problem is, I'm now on page 6 and I can't imagine too many ATS ers reading the entire thing...so I may let it go.

Thanks for the constructive criticism and the flag!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

nice one, smyleegrl,
it provokes a "consider this.. " kind of moment .. love it.

Muzz

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Great story!!. Unfortunately, I see the very real potential for our future.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Very powerful, enjoyed it thoroughly

You have a very captivating writing style, beautifully done.

Namaste.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

Thank you, that means a lot.

new topics

top topics

join