It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near Earth Asteroid Sept 14 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
NEAR-EARTH ASTEROID: A relatively large asteroid, just discovered on August 28th, will fly past the Earth-Moon system on Sept 14th only 2.8 million km (7.4 lunar distances) away. 2012 QG42 is about as wide as three football fields and comes to us from just beyond the orbit of Mars. Astronomers who are now monitoring the space rock say it shines about as brightly as a 15th magnitude star. [3D orbit] [ephemeris]

what does this mean to us? they say we wont feel effects but reallY?

url: www.spaceweather.com...
edit on 5-9-2012 by tluna1 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tluna1

can anyone who knows anything about asteroids tell us if we will see changes, more earthquakes, climate, anythign? you would think if it is that close there would be some effect.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
nice, hopefully it'll raise our consciousness^^ oh actualy my birthday is that day, thats kinda awesome

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Loki420th

well it should be one heck of a birthday. I cant belive something that big and they are just now seeing it? Really

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
3 football fields in size and just over 7 lunar distances away = we won't feel squat.

Something that is only 900 feet in diameter and that far away does not have enough mass (as long as it's made of normal matter) to affect anything here on earth.
Even if it were to pass within only 1,000 miles of our planet, we wouldn't feel anything from it.

Now the Earth would affect it, due to the fact the earth is over 40,000 times more massive in size than that rock.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The scary part is that they just discovered it. Makes you wonder what else is heading this way... at a much closer distance

link   
Something that (relatively) small and almost 2 million miles away isn't going to do squat to us, but what does concern me is that they just found out about this. If that had been on a collision course, that would've gave us, what, 17 days to ponder. Makes you wonder that much harder if the ELE-able one is out there lurking yet to be discovered...

link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful
3 football fields in size and just over 7 lunar distances away = we won't feel squat.

Something that is only 900 feet in diameter and that far away does not have enough mass (as long as it's made of normal matter) to affect anything here on earth.
Even if it were to pass within only 1,000 miles of our planet, we wouldn't feel anything from it.

Now the Earth would affect it, due to the fact the earth is over 40,000 times more massive in size than that rock.

wouldn't it be cool to get another moon?

link   
reply to post by tluna1

SnF good find, worst case its a probe in response to Curiosity
from

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tluna1

Asteroids fly by on a weekly basis, sometimes several days in a row.
They are too small to have any noticeable effect on the Earth.
To learn more, go to SpaceWeather, or to NASA's website.

The scary part is that they just discovered it. Makes you wonder what else is heading this way... at a much closer distance

If this one scares you, look up the asteroid that nearly missed the Earth on June 14, 2002.
It was discovered three days AFTER it had passed.

edit on 5-9-2012 by Vanitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tluna1

I wouldn't expect to see any effect from this flyby whatsoever. We could look to the future and see if it could well come closer given more observation. Astronomically speeking this is tiny and dim that is why these are most often are not seen until the make a close approach if then.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tluna1
reply to post by Loki420th

well it should be one heck of a birthday. I cant belive something that big and they are just now seeing it? Really

You did read the article right? 900 feet, Magnitude +15.0

That's dim. Very, very, very dim. You will not see it with your eyes alone, and you're going to need a very big telescope to see it with your eyes.

Most of these objects are spotted by pictures. A picture is taken of the sky with a telescope. The longer exposure allows very dim and small objects like this to appear in the picture.

Then another picture of the same area of the sky is taken the next night at the same time.

THEN the 2 pictures are compared to see if any of the "stars" appear to move against the back ground of known, fixed stars. If something does, then you've discovered something.

This is a tedious process, and you may, or may not see something. If the object had been further away, and was even dimmer than Mag +15.0, it may not have shown up in that picture of that sky, and not discovered.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It means absolutely Nuttin!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Its the ones that are e class & PAUSE then are re direct that are NOT shared with the public (that require X37b or similar approaches/evals) let alone the Frequency of some kind emitting kinds. Puts sheep clothing back on and baaa
its just a "ION tail" looks up for the ONE that humms

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
To bring everyone back down to earth a bit, here's a table of the known impact risks. Note the Torino scale numbers/colors - anything above a 2 or 3 would be of some concern, but there are none above a 1. But, of course, these are only the ones that they know of....

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Torino scale - neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Asteroids in space?

We are all doomed

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

I think some are MEANT to fly by ONLY as if to RECON (but I am an out of box thinker lol) If there EXIST another species "IN" EA*RTH that IS elder to mankind 1 would think by now they would of developed technology to fend off such risky visitors UNLESS they dont want to.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I have paid attention to a few (especially since Nibaru/Planet X/ELE). It seems if it is LESS than 1 LD (230k miles), and bigger than 1000 ft or so across, not much of anything happens.

Bigger and you can see a tug. I'd like to be better at knowing which side of the Earth was facing toward/away and real directional differences. But I'm not sure where to find this type of astrophysics sort of stuff. I think it'd freak me out a bit if I did have an accurate hypothesis here.

This is MY research. I've never seen anyone correlate the two. I have no credentials to do so, either.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The one that will pass us in February is much closer = 13000 miles.
Of course it is also smaller, much smaller, but still...it passes very close.
They say we won;t feel nothing.
I certainly hope so..

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Its my birthday that day to. It does seem its way to far away to have a effect on us.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join