It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact Check: First Lady's False Fairy Tale of Struggle

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Ever the defender of the great Obama and company without realizing they don't have a rags to riches story.

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Wow you guys are pathetic. Just because she wasn't in poverty means she didn't have any financial struggles? She's a millionaire on her own making

People are "pathetic" because they don't believe Michelle Obama what? If I said it would it be racist? Just how does she or her husband deserve to be a millionaire? Just how did they make their fortune?

Would it matter to you anyways? What if I told you Obama was just as white as Reagan, would that make any kind of a difference? What if I said the people who run this show could give a crap about race or upbringing? What if I said that's all just theater to sway the masses?

Would it matter? Until you are able to look past race, you'll never see the truth. The truth is not on "my" side and it is not on "your" side, its what is good for all of us.
edit on 6-9-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

You misunderstood me. I didn't say they HAD struggles, only that they were RIDICULED for saying they had struggles. Now Michelle is saying how hard it was for them. I want to see JUST AS MUCH outrage over what she said.

But no, it's just not there.

Why would we be outraged? Obama and Michelle likely did struggle. They came up making their way in predominately white schools, in a predominately white profession, during a time in our country where racism was hardly a thing of the past. They came from families that, while might not have been in the poor house, were by no means millionaires. Their parents didn't pay their way. So why would I be just as outraged?

Romney was born to a family who could make such claims, ones that he himself can't make. As much as Mitt Romney wishes it, he is not his father. He can't make those claims because he didn't live through the struggles his father did. His father became a wealthy man with many business and political connections. Romney might not have had it "easy" since I wouldn't characterize having a family so young as "easy" but the fact is he had every opportunity given to him, even if he made mistakes. Does that make him evil? No. But his struggles were in no way the same as Mr. and Mrs. Obama. His struggles were "self made". He had no inherent struggles because of his families political/economic status.
edit on 6-9-2012 by grimreaper797 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Anybody who thinks that Barack and Michelle were so gifted that they "earned" a spot in prestigious schools, only to be lackluster students all the way til graduation from college needs to have their head examined, and needs to learn about something called Affirmative Action.

"She was on the honor roll for four years, took advanced placement classes, a member of the National Honor Society and served as student council treasurer.[4] Michelle graduated in 1981 as the salutatorian of her class.[20]
Robinson majored in sociology and minored in African American studies and graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts in 1985.[4][25]"

Salutatorian, second highest in her class. Cum Laude, that's with honors, at Princeton University. Yeah, that's definitely "lackluster"...right. I'll just stop there, because anybody who's taking this stance, not only doesn't know what they are talking about, but doesn't WANT to know. It's all a conspiracy, anything that doesn't fit with your preconceived notions. Reality says though, that you're just wrong.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
She implied just such a thing. Did she actually say it? No. Tell me she didn't imply it though?

So you're blaming her for the way YOU interpreted the speech?

If I recall somebody said that they would like the politicians to "tell the truth" but the problem is, even when they are telling the truth you don't believe them because you interpret everything through negative preconceived notions. The only way you'd view them telling the truth is if they told you the most narcissistic, negative, greedy tales ever told... even if those were a lie.

I mean, you're basically saying, "She didn't lie... but what she was saying in between the lines that I read through, total lies."

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Ever the defender of the great Obama and company without realizing they don't have a rags to riches story.

They were middle class, please get over it.

If I said it would it be racist?

Here we go, another angry republican pulling race cards out of thin air. Let's take a look at what you said in the "Republican Peanut" incident thread.

" I think a lot of people really don't care and are tired of constantly hearing the racist card being played."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well doesn't that make you quite the hypocrite.

Just how does she or her husband deserve to be a millionaire?

Uh...let's see here. They were both lawyers. And Obama wrote a book that was on the NY best sellers list which sold millions of copies.

" Book Sales Lifted Obamas’ Income in 2007 to a Total of $4.2 Million

That was a substantial jump from the roughly $1 million in income the Obamas reported in 2006, much of that also from book deals."

www.nytimes.com...

Would it matter to you anyways?

What would what matter?

What if I told you Obama was just as white as Reagan, would that make any kind of a difference?

Obama is as white as Raegan, people like you ignore the white side of him, apparent by this comment. He is just as black as he is white.

What if I said the people who run this show could give a crap about race or upbringing?

Tell me something I don't know.

Would it matter? Until you are able to look past race, you'll never see the truth

You have some serious hang ups on race, not me. I don't care what race Obama is, you do. I don't even like Obama. I just find him less repulsive than Romney.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Didn't you know!? Anytime a black person accomplishes anything it is because of white guilt and affirmative action.

/obvious sarcasm

edit on 6-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

michelle o. Has spent more on vacations then any other first lady and I believe I read she as upwards of 20+ aides or servants. And look at the clothes she wears, it's as if she thinks anytime she goes somewhere she's stepping on a red carpet.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Are you voting for the wife or the husband?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
WTF is the wife of a president doing making speeches anyways. Every time a democrat is elected we end up getting a package deal lately. Say what you want, but at least Laura Bush wasn't out trying to make policy, but old Hillary and Michelle from the day their husbands were elected have acted like they were elected as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thepresident
You guys are just mad because Michele worked her way up to the top.

You are just defending her nonsense because you are a rabid left winger to the bitter end.
Mitt Romney is the guy who worked his way to the top from dirt poor roots. (poor father .. to middle class ... and then Mitt from Middle Class to Uber-rich) Not Michelle.

Originally posted by sealing
ROMNEY and RYAN were inheritance babies.
Of not just well off, but very wealthy parents..

1 - That's NOT TRUE at all. Your statement has as much 'fact' as Michelle Obama's.

2 - Ryans family built a family owned business from the ground up. His father died young. Ryan is not an 'inheritance baby'. And his family doesn't have to apologize for started and running a family successful family business. It's the american dream.

3 - Romneys father, his entire family, was very poor during the depression. His father WORKED HARD and was smart and therefore he was able to live the American dream .. going from dirt poor to upper middle class. Mitt was able to take that further by becoming successful on his own. Becoming successful is NOTHING to apologize for.

Info on George Romney - Mitt's Father

Romney was born to American parents living in the Mormon colonies in Mexico; events during the Mexican Revolution forced his family to flee back to the United States when he was a child. The family lived in several states and ended up in Salt Lake City, Utah, where they struggled during the Great Depression. Romney worked in a number of jobs, served as a Mormon missionary in England and Scotland, and attended several colleges in the U.S. but did not graduate from any. In 1939 he moved to Detroit and joined the American Automobile Manufacturers Association, where he served as the chief spokesman for the automobile industry during World War II and headed a cooperative arrangement in which companies could share production improvements. He joined Nash-Kelvinator in 1948, and became the chief executive of its successor, American Motors Corporation, in 1954. There he turned around the struggling firm by focusing all efforts on the compact Rambler car. Romney mocked the products of the "Big Three" automakers as "gas-guzzling dinosaurs" and became one of the first high-profile, media-savvy business executives. Devoutly religious, Romney presided over the Detroit Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

edit on 9/6/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

reply to post by grimreaper797

Didn't you know!? Anytime a black person accomplishes anything it is because of white guilt and affirmative action.

No truer words were ever spoken.....at least I did not have to tell you the obvious. The only thing that has stopped every state from having its own Little Ethiopia is whitey footing the bill to insure it doesn't happen.

Begin Flaming Now

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PMNOrlando

michelle o. Has spent more on vacations then any other first lady and I believe I read she as upwards of 20+ aides or servants. And look at the clothes she wears, it's as if she thinks anytime she goes somewhere she's stepping on a red carpet.

Yes, we very much appreciate the deep, well thought out, highly impartial view you hold of a person you've never met and probably have only read about in the media that ATS so thoroughly loves to hate because of it's unrelenting bias. Yes, your contribution on the psyche of the first lady will go down in the pages of time because of it's impeccably researched supported conclusions. Now perhaps you'd be kind enough to give us some insight into the inner workings of people like John Adams, or Gandhi, or Jesus Christ, or some other person you've NEVER MET.
edit on 6-9-2012 by grimreaper797 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Surfrat
DEMOCRATS BOOED PUTTING GOD BACK IN THEIR PLATFORM

That vote was yet another lie that the DNC pulled off ....

Teleprompter loaded to affirm 2/3 vote

The vote took place. The delegates all yelled their vote. The speaker KNEW that the "NO" vote was louder but he went with the 'YES' vote anyways. It was all predetermined. It was on the teleprompter that he HAD to go with the 'YES" vote.

Another lie. Caught. :shk:
edit on 9/6/2012 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The same thing happened at the RNC. Welcome to politics.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Mitt isn't George. George could make those claims. For the large majority of Mitt's life, he's been in a family that was wealthy. Maybe when he was real young they weren't utterly rich, but by the time Mitt was born his dad was already well on his way up. By the time Mitt was going into high school though, his dad was definitely a millionaire. His dad was Governor before he was even out of high school. By the time he was looking for where to go after high school, his father was a millionaire that was governor. You can't tell us he had it rough. His dad George, definitely did. But Mitt can't go around claiming the hardships of his father, George isn't running.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

The same thing happened at the RNC. Welcome to politics.

It's all sucky sucky sucky. And yet the MSM talks about Kim Kardashian or Lindsy Lohan or whatever fluff piece is going on instead of doing their dang job of keeping an eye on the people running this country. It's AWFUL!!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
You can't tell us he had it rough.

I didn't say Mitt had it rough.

The claim was that he was an 'inheritence baby'. That simply isn't true. His family started dirt poor. His father raised them up, through hard work, to upper middle class. Mitt took that upper middle class and made a good run of it to get himself to uber-rich. Neither his father nor Mitt have to apologize for being successful.

People who are successful don't need to apologize. And 'having a rough start' isn't something that automatically makes a person POTUS material. ABILITY and EXPERIENCE are what make a person POTUS material ... not what their financial status was at birth or how easy/hard they had it during life.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by grimreaper797
You can't tell us he had it rough.

I didn't say Mitt had it rough.

The claim was that he was an 'inheritence baby'. That simply isn't true. His family started dirt poor. His father raised them up, through hard work, to upper middle class. Mitt took that upper middle class and made a good run of it to get himself to uber-rich. Neither his father nor Mitt have to apologize for being successful.

People who are successful don't need to apologize. And 'having a rough start' isn't something that automatically makes a person POTUS material. ABILITY and EXPERIENCE are what make a person POTUS material ... not what their financial status was at birth or how easy/hard they had it during life.

I disagree, when you're father is a multimillionaire and governor, you're not upper middle class.

I never said you have to be dirt poor to be POTUS, that's not the topic. The topic is "false fairy tales of struggle", something Mitt has tried to pretend he's had when he hasn't. Obama on the other hand, well he grew up without his father, and is from a family that had no real political connections, and were not millionaires. So I'm much more likely to believe that they've had some "middle class" experiences. I find it unlikely Mitt has much "experience" with middle class problems, he's had a multimillionaire father and governor in his corner his entire adult life.

I'm not saying Mitt's lack of middle class experience disqualifies him to be POTUS, I'm saying just this: he didn't go through the same struggles as us, never has and never will. He always had every opportunity, money and connections were no problem. Not many of us can say that. Him pretending otherwise is the problem, not that his father was rich and he became uber-rich. It's a matter of honesty. (Don't deflect on the honesty part and bring up Obama. I know just as well as anybody how dishonest he's been in many aspects while in office, but that doesn't change the fact that Mitt is being dishonest if he even claims he understands middle class problems.)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Ive actually had the chance to visit the parts of town of Chicago they used to live in. I also saw their mansion. Its all rich upper-class area. No "struggle" there.

You have to see it with your own eyes to understand it.
edit on 6-9-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
TOO LATE, millions saw her speech and only a handful will fact check.

Hate to break your bubble here but Brietbart.com is not a fact checking site. They are a propaganda site.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join