It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact Check: First Lady's False Fairy Tale of Struggle

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Exactly. The American voter's attention to detail is sometimes lacking.

We should all struggle like the poor Obama's... If that's poor, and struggling, damn I'm really, really in trouble.

Really???

Are you implying that they had it easy to get where they are now???
edit on 5-9-2012 by thepresident because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yes, must be a real struggle for Michelle to decide where she can wear her

$6,800.00 jacket she bought to visit The Queen.

Just who paid for that 6,800 dollar J Mendel anyways?

Wow, these hard ecomonic times....

Michelle Obama wowed Buckingham Palace in a captivating, all-white embroidered jacket
that retails for

$6,800 — inflaming British hearts and fueling debate back home about the price of beauty in
perilous economic times.articles.nydailynews.com...

www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com...

edit on 5-9-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Yes, must be a strggle to decide where the PLOTUS can wear her

$6,800.00 jacket she wore to visit The Queen.

Oh how cute,

I bet she had the lttle ol thing when she was 16

Why are you neocons now going after peoples wealth BTW?

Didn't the RNC lecture us on the evils of doing just that

Daw

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepresident

Did Michelle pay for that jacket?
Who paid for Michelles Jacket?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

She didn't say she was poor. And while she may have had enough money that they had a home, food and clothes, that doesn't mean that a family doesn't struggle. Just as with success, to struggle isn't necessarily about money. She didn't say she struggled, anyway.

Michelle Obama Speech Text

Her father struggled with pain:

I knew there were plenty of mornings when it was a struggle for him to simply get out of bed.

Barack's mother struggled with finances:

Barack was raised by a single mother who struggled to pay the bills, and by grandparents who stepped in when she needed help.

Obama has had struggles in his presidency (not financial):

Well, today, after so many struggles and triumphs and moments that have tested my husband in ways I never could have imagined, I have seen firsthand that being president doesn’t change who you are – it reveals who you are.

Barack knows what struggling is:

Because Barack knows what it means when a family struggles.

On the letters they receive, talking about OTHER people's stories if struggle:

I see how those stories – our collection of struggles and hopes and dreams – I see how that’s what drives Barack Obama every single day.

On their parents' and grandparents' struggles:

And if our parents and grandparents could toil and struggle for us...

A statement of the country's struggles:

Because in the end, more than anything else, that is the story of this country – the story of unwavering hope grounded in unyielding struggle.

Not once did she say she was poor or struggled. This is what I keep asking - what is the lie? - but it has gone unanswered. And that's fine. No one owes me an answer. But all I've seen are general impressions that people got, claiming she lied. Nothing concrete.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thepresident

Let's just say that the road they traveled wasn't as pot holed as they would have us believe... Were there problems? Sure...everyone has them, and it's a mark of character to overcome them. They did. But why change the story? The actual truth of the matter would be impressive enough, I should think.

All politicians color the facts...read lie. How refreshing would it be if they actually gave out the true story?

Change we can believe in...remember that? Sounds like much the same ol', same ol' to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Let me guess???

Osama Bin Laden

Gosh you are a petty human being

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

didn't say she was poor, I said she's changing what is an already impressive success story in order for it to sound more impressive. Why do that, when it's patently unnecessary?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

reply to post by thepresident

Let's just say that the road they traveled wasn't as pot holed as they would have us believe... Were there problems? Sure...everyone has them, and it's a mark of character to overcome them. They did. But why change the story? The actual truth of the matter would be impressive enough, I should think.

All politicians color the facts...read lie. How refreshing would it be if they actually gave out the true story?

Change we can believe in...remember that? Sounds like much the same ol', same ol' to me.

How was the story changed, in your own words please.

What is the true story?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Yes, must be a real struggle for Michelle to decide where she can wear her

$6,800.00 jacket she bought to visit The Queen.

Just who paid for that 6,800 dollar J Mendel anyways?

Wow, these hard ecomonic times....

Michelle Obama wowed Buckingham Palace in a captivating, all-white embroidered jacket
that retails for

$6,800 — inflaming British hearts and fueling debate back home about the price of beauty in
perilous economic times.articles.nydailynews.com...

www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com...

edit on 5-9-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

You mean the made in America jacket loaned to her by its American designer to promote the American fashion industry? I don't expect you to know that Michelle Obama always wears a loaner dress to formal state functions as a way to showcase American industry.

Foacts are so uncomfortable for the Right. It is much more gratifying to lie and think the worst. In psychology this is called "Projection," wherein one accuses another for something because it makes them feel better about the fact that they are the ones actually doing it. It is like the boyfriend wildly suspecting his GF of cheating and being sneaky, but he is the one actually doing it and covering it up.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

didn't say she was poor, I said she's changing what is an already impressive success story in order for it to sound more impressive. Why do that, when it's patently unnecessary?

Please explain in detail so I can debate you with logic as opposed to innuendo contrived
by a professional blogger.

I'm waiting

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Let me guess???

Osama Bin Laden

I thought you may offer a serious answer.
Either she is paying, or the taxpayer is paying.

Either way, its not reflective of a struggle....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

didn't say she was poor...

That's what this sounds like...

We should all struggle like the poor Obama's... If that's poor, and struggling, damn I'm really, really in trouble.

...I said she's changing what is an already impressive success story in order for it to sound more impressive. Why do that, when it's patently unnecessary?

Let's go over the changes. That's what I'm asking for. What facts did she change to make it sound more impressive?

Speech Text

edit on 9/5/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Let me guess???

Osama Bin Laden

I thought you may offer a serious answer.
Either she is paying, or the taxpayer is paying.

Either way, its not reflective of a struggle....

A???

Can I see a link to that please...

It is hard to be serious when this whole story is contrived controversy

BTW, she has lived for nearly five decades,
One photo does not span the
entirety of her life, FYI

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Oh, thats ridiculous, that jacket was perfectly tailored for her,
in any case we dont call that a struggle.

She does this all of the time, see the 2500.00 outfit she donned
here recently.

Michelle Obama stepped out in a custom Peter Som coat yesterday to fete the groundbreaking of the National Museum of African American History And Culture.

The beautiful Monet-esque print was spot on for the monumental occasion.nakeddc.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Well since we all owe something like 140K for each household for the debt today.. Id say we did maybe. I hope I dont have to pay off my portion of that debt 'cause my whole wardrobe doesnt cost that much and my gutters need replacing.

One thing that is being missed. For most of us little people, you have no "American Dream" anymore.. as in starting poor and working yourself into a presidency. You dont have much of a great set of odds to be a home owner, business owner, and prosper. Today, you do not work your way to the top and youre lucky if you can pay off your student loans because your starting pay with that coveted degree doesnt pay squat. When I was a kid.. and Im pretty old.. there was a dream. I got to taste it. You work your ass off and climb that ladder. I did. It was possible previously. I could walk into a business with resume in hand and get a job. Today you cant even get an application or submit a resume if its not online and you MIGHT eventually get to speak to a human being. I get out in the real world with real people and it just isnt so anymore across the board as it once was.. meaning you have some serious issues if you cant see that things are very much different and what Michelle or anyone else went through isnt applicable to the struggles of folks TODAY.

Is it a dem or repub thing? nope. Its a federal idiocy problem that pretty well spreads evenly to both sides.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

reply to post by pajoly

Oh, thats ridiculous, that jacket was perfectly tailored for her,
in any case we dont call that a struggle.

She does this all of the time, see the 2500.00 outfit she donned
here recently.

Michelle Obama stepped out in a custom Peter Som coat yesterday to fete the groundbreaking of the National Museum of African American History And Culture.

The beautiful Monet-esque print was spot on for the monumental occasion.nakeddc.com...

actually this thread is ridiculous ...

Michelle was not FLOTUS her entire life -

How off the wall are you gonna get? Why don't you just go there and save the suspense.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

You mean the made in America jacket loaned to her by its American designer to promote the American fashion industry? I don't expect you to know that Michelle Obama always wears a loaner dress to formal state functions as a way to showcase American industry.

Nancy Reagan did the same thing. Almost all her dresses worn at state events and various balls were loaners. Though she did have a reputation of not returning some of the dresses.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Hey Advantage, waving at ya!

Good points you make...really.

Maybe we could get Michelle on board with the "You didnt build it" with a
"You shouldnt keep it" kind of a thing where she passes on her "hand me downs".

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Come on now...

She implied just such a thing. Did she actually say it? No. Tell me she didn't imply it though?

Ivy league schools, jobs in prestigious Chicago law firms, with the six figure salaries that go with it? Not exactly my definition of "struggle"...

Did they overcome problems? Sure they did. ...and I respect that. But honestly, why try to change the real story? That it wasn't exactly working in a salt mine, no one is going to care. I certainly don't. I didn't vote for him the first time, I'm not going to this time, either. Nor am I, before anyone can accuse me otherwise, going to vote for Romney...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join