It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact Check: First Lady's False Fairy Tale of Struggle

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Ut oh...

2/3 of the last posts were deleted for being off topic.

Can we please be civil so this thread isn't shut down?

As for the First Lady vs the hopeful First Lady.

There speeches were almost identical.

Only thing is the reaction, outside of sites like this not many people are bashing Mrs. Obama.

At least none of my friends are, but they are all going after Mrs. Romney saying she is full of it.

That's what's wrong with society now, the freaking double standard.

I don't begrudge Mrs. Obama, or Mrs. Romney their wealth or how they received it.

My problem is the current media opinion is that the wealthy don't deserve their wealth.
So why don't they apply that rubric to Mrs. Obama?
Oh she gets an exemption because she earned her wealth?

Yes she earned it, but so did Mrs. Romney and every other person in this nation.
Who is the media to judge whether someone earned their wealth or not?

Too many double standards.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Wow....So i must be a racist then. PS. I'm a white male from Louisiana who grew up with a black, not african american brother, who was criticized every day of his life because he wasn't black enough to be black because he grew up with a bunch of crackers....And before it's brought up that my mother adopted him because adopting ethnic children is the thing...this was in 1982 before it was "popular". Mods you can take this post down, but it's all bs. People can take the Republicans are racist thing all they want, but it's slander, lies, and trash that shouldn't be supported here. This is a place of freedom of speech, not ignorance and hate.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pigraphia

There speeches were almost identical.

Only thing is the reaction, outside of sites like this not many people are bashing Mrs. Obama.

The difference is Mrs. Obama's was genuine.

Both Mitt Romney's and Ann's parents were wealthy. If they couldn't pay their rent - - the families would just move them into one of their multiple homes.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Tee he he... What a line of bull. She always says what she wants people to believe. Screw the truth. Anyway, I also heard the she loves Barry more now than in 2008. Hmmm... makes me think.

edit on 5-9-2012 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

It's all relative, fellas.

Even the rich complain they are poor.

Everything Michele said is true, from her perspective. It is how she sees the events in her life.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I wish I was surprised that this thread reached so many pages, but this is ATS and I've seen it happen too many times during my lurking here.

Both conventions were full of falsehoods that few in each base will question, but you want to focus on this speech? Amazing work, people.

What I've learned here is that many people think there can be no struggles in life unless you start from the lowest point possible. Nowhere in that speech is it implied that either one of them was ever at that point, so how could they have struggled, right? Ridiculous.

I've also learned that several ATS members can only read text that's either typed by them or by someone else with the same opinion. I see this on many ATS threads. People ask pertinent questions or provide info disproving the premise of the thread, and are ignored in favor of continuing the flow of misinformation. Again, amazing.

Fact check all the speeches from both conventions and you'll see that neither party represents the truth. Stop wasting time like this.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

damn sorry to bump this thread and get all off topic, but I was told its legal till my review comes up, so imma play dumb if something happens.

oh and Aesop actually has meaning, he raps metaphorically, and it takes alot to understand what hes saying.

Questioned about his lyrical style in an interview, Bavitz responded: "It’s probably because it’s not the most accessible music in the world. It may pose a slight challenge to the listener beyond your average pop song. I'm no genius by a long shot, but these songs are not nonsensical, that's pretty preposterous. I'd have to be a genius to pull this many nonsensical records over people's eyes. It's not exactly fast food but when people pretend I'm just spewing non-sequiturs and gibberish I can’t help but think they simply haven’t listened and are regurgitating some rumor they’ve heard about me. Even if it's not laid out in perfect sentences—is any rap?—you’d have to be an idiot to not at least grasp a few things from these songs. Or have had no interest in pulling anything from them in the first place."

Also when it comes to understanding how the political world works, I recommend you check out any book by Noam Chomsky, he breaks down the real and true NWO...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticStrummer

Fact check all the speeches from both conventions and you'll see that neither party represents the truth.

What is truth?

Where can we find it?

The world is filled with opinion.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Could there have been a safety net?

Maybe, but the Romney's were determined to make it on their own.

Mitt gave his entire inheritance away, whether you agree with where he donated it is another topic.
The point is they gave it all away to start on their own.

Honestly my entire post was about double standards and you go and apply one...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Could there have been a safety net?

Maybe, but the Romney's were determined to make it on their own.

Mitt gave his entire inheritance away, whether you agree with where he donated it is another topic.

Honestly my entire post was about double standards and you go and apply one...

Its what I heard discussed on a talk show. Why people supported Michelle's speech more then Ann's.

Most people would not know what Romney did with his money. They only know both he and Ann came from a wealthy family.

Its all about perception. From perception she was not genuine.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Its what I heard discussed on a talk show. Why people supported Michelle's speech more then Ann's.

Most people would not know what Romney did with his money. They only know both he and Ann came from a wealthy family.

Its all about perception. From perception she was not genuine.

It's bad perception because people are too dumb to actually look into the mater themselves.

People are spreading lies left and right and people just gobble them up.

Even you here are judging one more worthy than the other or at least saying one is perceived as not genuine.

Why do you think Mrs. Romney isn't genuine?

Your perceptions are very skewed towards the negative because you make assumptions, or simply believe what others tell you.

You then use those assumptions to judge Mrs. Romney, who are you to judge what is genuine or not?

If you don't know that they renounced their family money ties certainly you aren't qualified to form a negative opinion as you don't know all the facts.

This whole mentality that one person is more worth than another of the money they earned is BS.

Even if they inherited all of their money that does not make them more or less worthy.

There used to be a time in America where people would strive to be rich or at least do the best they could at their given trade.

Now people demonize those who have money and say they didn't earn it to justify their hate.

Both Mrs. Obama, and Mrs. Romney are deserved of their money, unless you want to call into question the legality of their earnings whether they inherited it or not doesn't matter.

Even saying the Romney's used connections is BS because so have the Obama's.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by SolarIce

That's not true at all, I get food stamps, and welfare, and have a job that pays more than enough, all I did was tell a few white lies, and now I dont have to pay for my food, or my rent...

A few white lies? You have to show your income. So you're admitting to committing fraud.

LOL this is great. People are willing to admit to fraud just in a sad attempt to say "My beliefs are right!"

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
reply to post by RealSpoke

That's not true at all, I get food stamps, and welfare, and have a job that pays more than enough, all I did was tell a few white lies, and now I dont have to pay for my food, or my rent...

My checks go to pointless stuff now..

but yeah our system is failing (on purpose) so damn right imma ride the gravy train as long as I can.

ALSO why do people keep bring up the left and right parties? There is no difference, you have no choice who wins..

Holy crap.... we've reached a a new low on ATS....

" People are on food stamps; and The rich aren't paying their fairshare!"!!!!!!!!

edit on 9-9-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
When Barack Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate, he obtained a $1 million earmark for the University of Chicago Hospital--and his wife’s salary as Vice President for Community Affairs jumped from $121,910 to $316,962. Her job: pushing poor, uninsured patients to other hospitals.

I did one fact check on your post jibeho, and only one.
www.uchospitals.edu...
"She brings to our team a new level of compassion, commitment and close connections to the community."
"We have an obligation," she said, "to ensure that we use our resources on behalf of our neighborhood and our city. In this new role, my goal is to better integrate community engagement into the culture of this institution and to expand our partnerships with local organizations and institutions."
She then turned her attention to the non-profit sector. In 1993, she became the founding executive director of Public Allies Chicago, an Americorps National Service Program. Through her work with Public Allies in Chicago, Obama was able to provide internship opportunities and leadership training to hundreds of young adults interested in pursuing careers in the public sector.

Yeah, sounds like a terrible person.

So where's the - Her job: pushing poor, uninsured patients to other hospitals - at?
Now - should I do some more fact check on your fact check?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
Holy crap.... we've reached a a new low on ATS....

" People are on food stamps; and The rich aren't paying their fairshare!"!!!!!!!!

Nah, that's just USA going down the drain and it's owners being mad about the sick, homeless, unemployed and poor not stepping up to save it.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Obama's first car was his Grandfather's Ford Granada....Mitt Romney has a car elevator at one of his 7 homes.

Mitt Romney's first car was a 63 Nash Rambler, a gift from his father...Nash was the auto company that his father had Aquired the year earlier as CEO of American Motors.

Trying to cast young Obama as "privledged", especially in comparison to Romney, seems...well...just the kind of bold dishonesty I have come to reliably expect from the far right.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Here is where, once again...BS rules...your statement is HALF true...but I doubt you are aware why

YES...he gave his inheritance away...

When did George Romney pass away?....1995...LONG AFTER his fathers money and connections had got him a significant leg up.

Romney's words

We asked Romney's campaign about his claim.

"Mitt Romney's success is based on his 25-year career in business and the fact that he founded and led one of the most successful private equity companies in the world," spokesman Ryan Williams said.

That wasn't as helpful as, say, a copy of his father's will.

Nor was there any information about George Romney's financial legacy in the many obituaries for the Michigan luminary, who died in 1995 at age 88.

But Mitt Romney has addressed the question himself, it turns out, in an interview with C-SPAN in 2006. Host Brian Lamb asked him why his father hadn't given him an inheritance.

Romney answered, "Well, he didn’t have as much as I think some people anticipated. And I did get a check from my dad when he passed away. I shouldn’t say a check, but I did inherit some funds from my dad. But I turned and gave that away to charity. In this case I gave it to a school which Brigham Young University established in his honor. ... And that’s where his inheritance ended up."

According to a short history of the George W. Romney Institute of Public Management at BYU, the family provided an endowment in 1998, within a few years of George Romney's death.

So, in Romney's own words, he did "inherit some funds" from his dad. But he gave them away.

Why?

"I figured we had enough of our own," he said.

He probably did. By 1995, Romney had already led Bain Capital for more than a decade, where shrewd investments made him millions. He stepped down in 1999.

He now says he's worth somewhere between $190 million and $250 million.

SO...Romney had been at Bain Capital for over a decade when his father passed and was already worth an insane amount of money...why did he simply donate his fathers "funds"...to Brigham Young? Because to Romney...it was just a pittance compared to his own wealth by that time.

HIS WORDS..."we had enough of our own,"

NOT because he wanted to be a self made man..And in 1995...When George died was not Romney's "start"...it was long after all the money and advantages his fatehr had given him had come to fruition.

edit on 10-9-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Summerian

Originally posted by jibeho
When Barack Obama was elected to the U.S. Senate, he obtained a $1 million earmark for the University of Chicago Hospital--and his wife’s salary as Vice President for Community Affairs jumped from $121,910 to $316,962. Her job: pushing poor, uninsured patients to other hospitals.

I did one fact check on your post jibeho, and only one.
www.uchospitals.edu...
"She brings to our team a new level of compassion, commitment and close connections to the community."
"We have an obligation," she said, "to ensure that we use our resources on behalf of our neighborhood and our city. In this new role, my goal is to better integrate community engagement into the culture of this institution and to expand our partnerships with local organizations and institutions."
She then turned her attention to the non-profit sector. In 1993, she became the founding executive director of Public Allies Chicago, an Americorps National Service Program. Through her work with Public Allies in Chicago, Obama was able to provide internship opportunities and leadership training to hundreds of young adults interested in pursuing careers in the public sector.

Yeah, sounds like a terrible person.

So where's the - Her job: pushing poor, uninsured patients to other hospitals - at?
Now - should I do some more fact check on your fact check?

Are you saying my facts are not correct??

WASHINGTON — Officials at the University of Chicago Hospitals on Tuesday explained a large salary jump for Sen. Barack Obama's wife shortly after he took office as a normal promotion that reflected expanded duties in her job as a liaison with the South Side community surrounding the medical center.

Michelle Obama was promoted to vice president for external affairs in March 2005, two months after her husband took office in the Senate. According to a tax return released by the senator this week, the promotion nearly tripled her income from the hospitals from $121,910 in 2004 to $316,962 in 2005.

articles.chicagotribune.com...

As for her job while at U of Chicago Medical. No one really knows exactly what she did. Her job was eliminated after she began to focus on campaign duties. Best of all, Obama's buddy Dr. Eric Whitaker took over her "duties" after she left.

The federal government has awarded a nearly $6 million grant to a Chicago hospital with close ties to President Obama.

The grant was awarded to the University of Chicago Medical Center’s Urban Health Initiative through the president’s Affordable Care Act and will link patients with community-based services through an electronic data base.

The initiative is run by longtime Obama friend and golfing partner Dr. Eric Whitaker, and the medical center is closely tied to the Obama family. Whitaker is the executive vice president and an associate dean at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

First lady Michelle Obama also used to work at the medical center, which received the grant with two co-applicants. She started working at the university in 1996, then became a vice president at its medical center. And senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett was chairman of the medical center’s Board of Trustees before coming to Washington, according to her official profile.

Oh my... Valerie Jarrett worked there too...
Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Whitaker allegedly bribed Jeremiah Wright and is also has linked to felon Tony Rezko. They are linked via Michelle and Barack.

Whitaker is now Executive Vice President of the University of Chicago's Medical Center, which just received a $5.9 M Health and Human Services grant to continue a project FLOTUS Michelle Obama worked on while she was on the Univeristy of Chicago Health Center's staff, creating and running the Urban Health Initiative. The Chicago Sun Times describes the program:

When Whitaker joined the University of Chicago Medical Center, he took over a program called the urban health initiative. The program, which Michelle Obama helped create, tries to connect low-income families with doctors in their own communities.

The Chicago Sun-Times criticized the program, saying it "steers patients who don't have private insurance - primarily poor, black people - to other health care facilities."

Catch that last line.... Just the facts..

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Michelle's Patient Dumping Scheme. Nothing to see here folks.... Just Lies about Michelle

Oh my how could Michelle of "elite" status do such a thing....??The First Lady helped create a notorious program that dumped poor patients on community hospitals, yet the national media ignore the story. Imagine if her husband were a Republican.

The University of Chicago Medical Center has received a good deal of justly opprobrious press over its policy of "redirecting" low-income patients to community hospitals while reserving its own beds for well-heeled patients requiring highly profitable procedures. Substantial coverage was given to a recent indictment of the program by the American College of Emergency Physicians. ACEP's president, Dr. Nick Jouriles, released a statement suggesting that the initiative comes "dangerously close to ‘patient dumping,' a practice made illegal by the Emergency Medical Labor and Treatment Act, and reflected an effort to ‘cherry pick' wealthy patients over poor."

Cherry picking wealthy patients over the poor... Wow!! Good work Michelle!! Imagine if Anne Romney did such a thing in her recent past.

That's the "fairy tale" that she would prefer you not to know!!

There's more

But no amount of journalistic lipstick can hide the reality that Mrs. Obama's initiative is a patient-dumping scheme. Such "cherry-picking," as Dr. Jouriles accurately describes it, was, at one time, fairly common. Prestigious institutions like the University of Chicago Medical Center routinely "dumped" Medicaid, uninsured and other unprofitable patients on less mercenary community hospitals. Many patients suffered needlessly, and more than a few actually died, as the result of this practice. So, in 1986, President Reagan signed the Emergency Medical Labor and Treatment Act (EMTALA) into law. EMTALA made such "redirection" illegal, but many high profile hospitals still chafed at being forced to treat poor patients. Enter Michelle Obama, UCMC's "Vice President for Community and External Affairs."

Even David Axlerod was involved. The gang is all here folks...

Mrs. Obama first hatched the UCMC program as the "South Side Health Collaborative," which featured a gang of "counselors" whose job it was to "advise" low-income patients that they would be better off at other hospitals and clinics. The program was so successful in getting rid of unwanted patients that she expanded it, gave it a new name, and hired none other than David Axelrod to sell the program to the public. According to the Sun-Times, "Obama's wife and Valerie Jarrett, an Obama friend and adviser who chairs the medical center's board, backed the Axelrod firm's hiring." Axelrod helped the future First Lady formulate a public relations campaign in which the "Urban Health Initiative" was represented as a boon to the community actuated by the purest of altruistic motives.

Just another scam

The resultant PR campaign was a study in Orwellian audacity. Chicago's inner city residents soon began hearing that UCMC's patient dumping program would "dramatically improve health care for thousands of South Side residents" and that the medical center was generously willing to provide "a ride on a shuttle bus to other centers." Likewise, the people who ran the community hospitals to which these unwanted patients were being shuttled began to read claims in local media to the effect that the Urban Health Initiative was good for them as well. Dr. Eric Whitaker, the Blagojevich crony who succeeded Mrs. Obama as Director of the program, repeatedly assured gullible reporters that the financial impact on these hospitals would be positive: "The initiative actually is improving their bottom lines." The CFOs of those hospitals were no doubt relieved to learn that treating Medicaid and uninsured patients is profitable.

Still believe Michelle's narrative??? Ask her to talk about her last job.....

www.americanthinker.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Nice reach!! Shame on Romney for donating his inheritance.... Yes he did have enough. Enough of what he earned on his own...

Shame Shame Shame... Don't forget to shame to Michelle for her "project" that walked a fine line between legal and illegal and just plain disgusting!!

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join