It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go or stay?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If the SHTF would it be wiser to stay at home, or hit the road in case some NDAA apes come to round folks up?

I realize that this is HIGHLY speculative, and prob won't happen. I'm just asking hypothetically.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Violets

Well it entirely depends on the scenario and what you have done a prep work. Where you live is a big factor too, high population area - buggout if you see it soon enough before panic starts, if you miss that bugg in, wait it out and go stealth.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
do you live near the woods?
do you know how to hunt,make shelter,keep a sustainable fire,without being noticed,or scaring the animals (hunting) away?
do you know the 'wild' flora that you can eat?
do you know what fish NOT to eat?
if you answered 'no' to any of these questions,stay home and let FEMA take care of you!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I would say it depends on your circumstances. If your position is easily defendable stay. If not then you need to go. If you do go, stick to the path less traveled, as everyone else will be taking the most common route and you will become easily trapped in a mass of humanity.

I would think that it would be wise to stay in place as long as possible to let the easily paniced clear out. Then use caution when moving depending on your circumstances.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Violets

Initially, my wife and I are going to stay in our home. We'll wait until my wife's medication runs out and if we can't procure more for her, then we'll have to decide either to let her suffer or euthanise her. If she decides that she wants to die because of the pain she'll be in (among other things) then I'll help her with that and then leave our home (because it won't be a home without my wife) to find a place to hole up until the world calms down a wee bit or until I get in to a situation that costs me my life.

Not looking forward to it all really, but at least we have a plan.

Rev

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
For me the last place I want to be is in a city ! I don't really know what I will do till it happens ? I spend most weekends and time off in the bush so hopefully I'll be lucky enough to be out of the city when shtf ! I always have a knife and basic survival gear in my jeep and I'm good with that . I grew up learning how to survive on my own from my father and grandfather , I feel confident when the day comes I'll be ok !

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

wow! i like your cantor! i'm pretty sure i'd do the same! (so i like to believe!)
i 'survive' in my house right now,so it wouldn't be that different. but i do know how to 'live outdoors'!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

My blessings to you and yours - you have made the toguh decisions up front and have plans, I pray it never happens and you will not have to enact those. Many can take lessons from you on this.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

That really depends on how they panic, heavily populated areas, especially that are already crime ridden will get bad really fast. I would bug out fast and get ahead of the wave. Less populated areas where a real sense of community exists should be better off and can bug in as long as the community comes together and faces what comes together.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If the SHTF I am going to stay. I live in the country, I am getting to old to enjoy jumping around anymore. If you are young it could be exiting getting packed like sardines in big buildings, let them go. I do not fear someone coming to rob me, they should fear me if they are going to try that. I refuse to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Chances are any SHTF events are going to be localized. Most people will just be trying to survive. Very few people around here will turn bad. Most people having guns around here those Bad people will be dead shortly if something happens and they try to steal from others. I will try to help others myself if they are in need but will shoot those who try to endanger my family on my property.
edit on 5-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
do you live near the woods?
do you know how to hunt,make shelter,keep a sustainable fire,without being noticed,or scaring the animals (hunting) away?
do you know the 'wild' flora that you can eat?
do you know what fish NOT to eat?
if you answered 'no' to any of these questions,stay home and let FEMA take care of you!!!

It also depends on what kind of shape your in. Also what season when the SHTF. But as I was saying depend on what shape you're in. If the idea of walking 20 miles in good weather makes your feet hurt and teeth grind. You might want to bug in.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violets
If the SHTF would it be wiser to stay at home, or hit the road in case some NDAA apes come to round folks up?

I realize that this is HIGHLY speculative, and prob won't happen. I'm just asking hypothetically.

Do you live rural or urban?

If urban you are pretty much screwed regardless unless you:

Have laid in preps for at least a month and can make it look as if your house/apartment has already been looted. This comes along with the noise light and litter discipline to avoid even the last of the desperate looters.

If you live suburban then the same pretty much applies as you are within the walking distance of motivated hungry people fleeing the carnage of the city.

Even if you live rural you unless your house is far from natural lines of drift (roads) you are likely to get unwanted visitors from time to time. Any livestock you have are going to be beacons of hope for the hungry along their routes of exodus.

If you are referring to an imposition of martial law rather than a collapse of all the economy and all general services and you have more to fear from the government than the rioters best just to flee with what you can if you don't want to end up in a camp "for your own good".

If you have to flee do not follow the roads – realize the lazy follow the path of least resistance. Travel at night and rest in the day. Take covered and concealed routes and do frequent switchbacks to check your own trail - make sure to act quickly and violently regarding any threat. Remember the rule of law (and its consequences) will be long gone.

Download this Army SERE Manual and you will have some good tips if you must evade people for a while. It’s a good start.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I don't like killing things, even if they're suffering, but I won't allow my wife to suffer if she doesn't want to. I'm also very lucky as I spent some time in the Army, so I can fight, kill and survive if I have to.

I try to live by the saying "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best" and I pray every day for the best to happen.

Rev

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mantarey

Thank you for your kind words. Let's hope that the world doesn't go to hell any time soon for all our sakes and also because I really like my wife and love spending every day with her. And loosing her would mean the loss of the only thing that keeps me from being the dark soul that I am.

Rev

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
obviously if you live in a city you will want to get out, but if you have no place or no people in the country to go to then it`s better just stay put and die a quick death than to just wander around in the country and die a slow miserable death from exposure to the elements and starvation or shot by a landowner who thinks you are trespassing on his land to try to steal food and water.

Us rural people are typically very friendly and helpful but with the mass exodus of homeless hungry people streaming to rural areas,and the inevitable massive increase in crimes such as attempted home break ins, us rural people aren`t going to be in any mood to welcome you with open arms. if you have no place to stay and no relatives in the country then just stay where you are.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
go south.

mexico is cutting off the escape route to south america in a shtf scenario were society has completely broken down and there is no law and order.

the mexican cartels are fully armed and with no opposition will take over the country with deadly force and extreme violence.

they will not hesitate to kill you on spot and loot whatever valuables you are carrying.

so you'll have to avoid it.

that is where having a sailboat would be invaluable.

you can stay weeks on sea, catch fish, avoid bandits and collect rainwater or distill seawater.

but i believe south america is intentionally being protected or maybe not as a safe haven for n.american and european elites, politicians and military leaders to escape to.

edit on 5-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
make the move now from the big cities, this will buy more time for a wiser less panic approach and remember they want you to react hopfully thru panic.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo
reply to post by Violets

Initially, my wife and I are going to stay in our home. We'll wait until my wife's medication runs out and if we can't procure more for her, then we'll have to decide either to let her suffer or euthanize her. If she decides that she wants to die because of the pain she'll be in (among other things) then I'll help her with that and then leave our home (because it won't be a home without my wife) to find a place to hole up until the world calms down a wee bit or until I get in to a situation that costs me my life.

Not looking forward to it all really, but at least we have a plan.

Rev

I feel your pain my freind...

My wife requires medication for bi-polar disorder, social anxiety (borderline agoraphobia) and PTSD. Not painful or anything (thankfully) but she is lucid enough to know that should SHTF when the medicine runs out she will go back to having a very unrewarding life.

She has expressed to me that she has no desire to "survive" the collapse of society and struggle for survival…

She also does not wish to live the up/down cycles in such a situation.

She has asked me to kill her if her symptoms cannot be controlled or to let her do it herself. I don't think I could shoot the love of my life or let her do it herself.

I am lucky that we have a dairy and have the veterinary medications to do it with an IV - humanely.

Same drugs for cattle and horse euthanasia will do the job. If you have a good relationship with a vet you may be able to get enough to do it that way. You do need a script for them as they are controlled but if you have livestock and a good vet you shouldn’t have a problem getting one.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If you stay... you're a sitting duck.... if you keep mobile.... you're a moving duck... if you're mobile and have a gun... you're a moving duck with a gun.

If you keep mobile and can pick off the weak in a rural setting.... you MIGHT stand a chance for survival... but you must be smart, precisive at your exploits, and completely detached from your emotional side. If you cannot exploit a defenseless subject you will be rendered the defenseless subject for everyone else's exploits.

In a thriving species the weak are there to be harvested by the strong for the species survival. It is not disgusting or sick... it is the natural order of life. We find it crude and "inhumane" because we are ripened our whole lives for harvest time.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Oddly enough, I suffer from Rapid-Cycling Bipolar, PTSD and Explosive Personality Disorder (among other things) and will be facing a similar fate as your wife. That said, if my wife is dead, it'll be easier to live with it all because there will be no one for me to damage with my mood swings, flashbacks and general aggression.

I just hope that I can find a way to focus when the medication runs out or I'll turn back in to the animal I truly am and god help anyone who happens by me.

Rev

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join