It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A virus that kills cancer: the cure that's waiting in the cold

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
No cure for cancer you say?

On the snow-clotted plains of central Sweden where Wotan and Thor, the clamorous gods of magic and death, once held sway, a young, self-deprecating gene therapist has invented a virus that eliminates the type of cancer that killed Steve Jobs.

'Not "eliminates"! Not "invented", no!' interrupts Professor Magnus Essand, panicked, when I Skype him to ask about this explosive achievement.

'Our results are only in the lab so far, not in humans, and many treatments that work in the lab can turn out to be not so effective in humans. However, adenovirus serotype 5 is a common virus in which we have achieved transcriptional targeting by replacing an endogenous viral promoter sequence by…'

It sounds too kindly of the gods to be true: a virus that eats cancer.

'I sometimes use the phrase "an assassin who kills all the bad guys",' Prof Essand agrees contentedly.

Source

It seems another cure for cancer that will NEVER see the light of day, for reasons we cannot fathom as intelligent folk.

In this case it seems that nobody wants to give the man a few million dollars to get his trials under way. With all the money that we donate and collect for cancer research, by the billions, and yet somehow, something as amazing as this goes un-noticed?

Tell me there is no conpiracy to keep cures away and treatments available.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
if everyone gave this guy a few nickels he could cure cancer?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
A virus that eats cancer?
mmmmmm..... I don't feel like this ones a good idea.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Krippin Virus

Link

The Krippin Virus, also known as KV for short, was created as a cure for cancer. Hundreds of test subjects were injected with the serum and all became infected. This virus can be airborne, possibly from the breath of the billions of infected across the world carrying the virus in water droplets. Of the 6 billion people on Earth at the time KV broke out, only 12 million were immune to the virus. Since KV does not cause the infected to die and reanimate, the infected should not be considered undead or living dead.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Did you see the rise of the planet of the apes? Thats why drug trials take so long. Im not saying the lab animals could take over the world, but something that works in animals might not work on us. Might even harm us.

Failed lab tests arent news. So if it doesnt work itll dissappear.

This is a common conspiracy in many industries. If i owned a phizer, i could just buy this idea, patent it, and lock it away forever. Maybe pay this guy a couple billion and claim im going to develop it.

Why do you think cars get less mpg than they did in the 80s and 90s, but were fooled into thinking we need a hybrid to get 45mpg?

I could see a covert war being fought over this. Genetically modified mosquitos could transmit the cancer killin virus if this guy is an "evil genius". We will probably be vaccinated against it by drones.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yep. Sounds like home.

The sad part about this is...I'm not even shocked about it. It is not profitable...therefore...down the drain evil cure.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Without ever funding the research, how would we ever know?

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

There is no conspiracy. There are a lot of people chasing a little money. Anyway, if you feel this is important, you should pay attention to the end of the article:

To donate money to Professor Magnus Essand's research on viral treatments for neuroendocrine cancer, send contributions to Uppsala University, The Oncolytic Virus Fund, Box 256, SE-751 05 Uppsala, Sweden, or visit www.uu.se/en/support/oncolytic. Contributions will be acknowledged in scientific publications and in association with the clinical trial. A donation of £1 million will ensure the virus is named in your honour.

Do you think ATS readers could scrounge up a million pounds? I'm targeting my donations at breast cancer this year, but I'd pitch in if ATS can get this thing named ZetaReticulase.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
This is a common conspiracy in many industries. If i owned a phizer, i could just buy this idea, patent it, and lock it away forever.

You can't. It's already been published. It can't be patented. That's why he's having trouble getting funding.

Swedishly uninterested in profiteering, devoted only to the purity of science, Magnus and his co-workers on this virus have already published the details of their experiments in leading journals around the world, which means that the modified virus as it stands can no longer be patented. And without a patent to make the virus commercial, no one will invest. Even if I could raise the £2 million (I want only the best version) to get the therapy to the end of phase II trials, no organisation is going to step forward to run the phase III trial that is necessary to make the therapy public.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Nope, I suggest no ATS member send money.

It's against the T&C to ask for that sort of thing, which is why I did not mention it.

And you can't possibly tell me there is no conspiracy against curing cancer. Cure suppression is very common place in our time.

There is money in a cure, only in continued treatment. And the blackballing of funding for research as important as this is quite telling of that fact.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Sounds like something out of the most recent film adaptation of Richard Matherson's "I Am Legend". Spooky, eh?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
It's against the T&C to ask for that sort of thing, which is why I did not mention it.

And you can't possibly tell me there is no conspiracy against curing cancer. Cure suppression is very common place in our time.

Okay, all right, there is a conspiracy at ATS to suppress this potential cure for cancer. Just as numerous anti-vaccination threads indicate a conspiracy to suppress the anti-HPV cancer vaccine. There are, however, no conspiracies to suppress cures for cancer among parties that really matter.

There is money in a cure, only in continued treatment.

Is that why there are so many treatments for (e.g.) smallpox on the market? Or does your theory only apply to cancer?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Okay, all right, there is a conspiracy at ATS to suppress this potential cure for cancer. Just as numerous anti-vaccination threads indicate a conspiracy to suppress the anti-HPV cancer vaccine. There are, however, no conspiracies to suppress cures for cancer among parties that really matter.

Not at all.

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Straight from the Terms & Conditions.

And yes, there is a major push by all pharmaceutical companies to keep cures under wraps. There are dozens of cures for cancer that have been researched, talked about and then shoved under a rug, never to be seen again. Perhaps you believe that Big Pharma has an interest in solving your health problems, I am not that optimistic.

I know what big business is about, which is profit. There are no profits to be made in Pharmaceuticals if you care curing the diseases that they are making treatment drugs for. It's quite a simple concept.

Is that why there are so many treatments for (e.g.) smallpox on the market? Or does your theory only apply to cancer?

This thread discusses cancer specifically, I will not derail the conversation by discussing other things that may or may not have supprsed cures. Cancer is the most prevelant and obvious one.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I Am Legend, that's the movie. Coincidence? I'm officially freaked out.

TV Personality: The world of medicine has seen its share of miracle cures, from the polio vaccine to heart transplants. But all past achievements may pale in comparison to the work of Dr. Alice Krippin. Thank you so much for joining us this morning.
Dr. Alice Krippin: Not at all.
TV Personality: So, Dr. Krippin, give it to me in a nutshell.
Dr. Alice Krippin: Well, the premise is quite simple - um, take something designed by nature and reprogram it to make it work for the body rather than against it.
TV Personality: You're talking about a virus?
Dr. Alice Krippin: Indeed, yes. In this case the measles, um, virus which has been engineered at a genetic level to be helpful rather than harmful. Um, I find the best way to describe it is if you can... if you can imagine your body as a highway, and you picture the virus as a very fast car, um, being driven by a very bad man. Imagine the damage that car can cause. Then if you replace that man with a cop... the picture changes. And that's essentially what we've done.
TV Personality: And how many people have you treated so far?
Dr. Alice Krippin: Well, we've had ten thousand and nine clinical trials in humans so far.
TV Personality: And how many are cancer-free?
Dr. Alice Krippin: Ten thousand and nine.
TV Personality: So you have actually cured cancer.
Dr. Alice Krippin: Yes, yes... yes, we have. [cuts to post-apocalyptic New York three years later]

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

In this case it seems that nobody wants to give the man a few million dollars to get his trials under way. With all the money that we donate and collect for cancer research, by the billions, and yet somehow, something as amazing as this goes un-noticed?

If this virus could possibly cure the same type of cancer that Steve Jobs had you would think his family or Apple execs would take notice and help.

Think how easy it would be to donate a few million and then set-up a foundation that supports cancer research.
Not to sound like a money grubbing capitalist pig but, if I were the CEO of Apple I would be all over this one.
Steve was like a God to alot of people and I'd bet that millions of people would be willing to donate to a cause that could cure the disease that killed him. I think it would actually help Apples image as well.

Look what Lance Armstrong did with his Live Strong foundation. (current circumstances not withstanding)

I guess I'm just thinking that there are plenty of people that have TONS of money for support, why wouldn't they?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Not impressed until they cure death

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

His system will never work. every person who catches his cold gives it to someone else. It will spread around and nobody will get that kind of cancer after that. How are you suppose to make money off of that? I suppose they will be confiscating all his research shortly saying he is some sort of terrorist that is targeting TPTB

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Iron7

Got something against undertakers making a living?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
A virus that eats cancer?
mmmmmm..... I don't feel like this ones a good idea.

me neither
horizontal gene transfer
and random mutations come to mind

using virii this way is also Cheapjack nano-tech

also article writer REALLY needs to brush up on his nordic mythology

thor is not and has never been a god of death
but of thunder ,lightning, and storms
loool

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

His system will never work. every person who catches his cold gives it to someone else. It will spread around and nobody will get that kind of cancer after that. How are you suppose to make money off of that? I suppose they will be confiscating all his research shortly saying he is some sort of terrorist that is targeting TPTB

Every year a new version of the common cold comes out, so I think the cold based virus will mutate and become useless, if perhaps, even a killer in a few seasons, so I don't hold out much hope.Sorry

top topics

<<   2 >>

join