It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.9 - OFF THE COAST OF COSTA RICA (Tsunami Watch in Effect!)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

A+ for effort.

I have heard this rumor several times but never seen details. Mainly, I hear it about the New Madrid quake being downgraded. I personally think research is just getting better.

If the scale has been revised, (IMO I don't believe that, yet...)then we have had a hell of a lot of 8 quakes recently.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmgmir
reply to post by favouriteslave

That is because they report quakes only that are higher than 4.0 if is outside of the US. You can go to www.ovsicori.una.ac.cr. they are reporting all the afterquakes by twitter and facebook as well. So far 230 replicas.

I have it set to report 2.5 and over. They are lagging in reporting and I know there is more than that.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmgmir
reply to post by lurksoften

Excellent source, quite accurated information. I live in Costa Rica, maybe 70 km away from the epicenter, and all the information on you link is true.

One of my best friend works as an MD in the hospital in puntarenas, and she said it was badly dammage, also, that the main entrance door of the hospital was blocked because of some renovations, and most of the 1000 persons in the building had to evacuate thru a regular single door.

What is really scary is that the scientists in here had been waiting for a while a big one" on that area (Nicoya) and we believed this morning, that today's event was the one, but in a conference helded earlier, they believe, this is a preview, since the after schock replicas are neither as many, or as strong as expected to be in a quake of this intensity .

Do you have any links to this conference where they think this is a pre-shock?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Does anyone here have any further information on the 3.9 quake in Yellowstone park this evening? I thought I'd ask here since I can't make threads as of yet. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by favouriteslave
[more
Yes, this is the link.

www.sinart.go.cr...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho
I have a question regarding earth quakes.
I'm not sure if I remember correctly or not, but didn't they change the richter scale, and knock everything down 1 point?
If I'm right, wouldn't that be an 8.9 earth quake?
even if I'm wrong, 7.9 is STILL massive.
everyone on the coast is in my thoughts, hope they're safe.

"The scale was developed in the 1970s to succeed the 1930s-era Richter magnitude scale (ML). Even though the formulae are different, the new scale retains the familiar continuum of magnitude values defined by the older one.'
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
John Vidale, a seismologist who posts on these forums, answered my question in another thread here about the scale change a few weeks ago and said nothing has changed to his knowledge. Everyone else I've heard the rumor from said the same thing when I asked for a source, "Well I heard about it somewhere but now that I'm looking for it I can't find it..." If that swarm of 5.5's in So Cal recently was actually 6.5's things would have been really messed up. There is a huge difference. It's not some conspiracy by the government trying to cover up the intensities to reduce panic or whatever reason people keep saying there is for it.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverWraith

Check out the Quake Watch 2012 thread, we are following there!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Where are all the aftershocks only 4 around the same magnitude 4.0

More geothermal energy coincidence. There are 3 plants in Costa Rica Source although they are quite a distance from the epicenter.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
If you said atlantic side I would have shrugged it off, but since you said pacific...hmmmmm

Me thinks the plate is on the move again, expect another pressure shift type earthquake either along the same run of faults or caddy corner toward Japan side in the ballpark of a 6.5. At that magnitude I'd say within a 3-4 day time frame..give or take a few hours on the back end.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Chariot; "Over" Clic Clic
edit on 6-9-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
Just a question..maybe someone can help me here.

If you go to this website.. quakes.globalincidentmap.com..... and zoom in, it shows 4 earthquakes. Two 7.6's and two 7.9's.

USGS website is only showing one 7.6.

From my experience, the first link will delete some of those eventually. Do they just mark every possibility or was there actually 4 earthquakes? Each one shows a different depth, which to me means 4 different quakes. It also has three different times for each quake.
edit on 5-9-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

Your impression is probably correct. The USGS is notorious for down-grading quakes and dropping many of them off the chart. Their reason for doing this? They are under orders to do so as are other quake registers. We aren't supposed to notice the increase in magnatude or frequency of quakes you understand.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by paddymelon

Nonsense... that website just pulls its information from multiple sources, if you click on each quake it it will show you which source it came from. Sometimes magnitudes vary between sources because of the different tools they use to measure quakes. There was only one quake, the different quakes reported there all happened at the same time. You are not going to have 4 7.6 quakes happen at the same time in the same place. In fact I just looked there and the 7.6 quakes are ALL gone now. Please don't spread such disinformation without any evidence to back up your claims. USGS is doing no such thing to hide information, they are doing their job, to report accurate information. They are just as notorious for upgrading earthquakes as they are downgrading. Quake info is usually posted automatically by a computer and later reviewed by a seismologist and revised if necessary, the computer generated report is not always the correct information and needs to be checked over for accuracy by a real person. The Japan quake last year was upgraded multiple times if I remember correctly. That wouldn't make any sense if they were trying to keep us in the dark about what's going on now would it?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It has been an hour and a half and no quake activity.
That is fairly rare.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Do you mean globally or the region arround Costa Rica?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but I don't have access to any of the maps right now

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Globally.
Sorry i didn't specify.
It lasted 100 minutes and that is the longest i have ever seen that happen.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

You are definitely correct, that is kind of odd. From what I have seen global incidents are quite common and to go so long without any activity is very rare (I'm no expert, this is just a personal observation).

Hopefully it's not the "calm before the storm".

edit on 6-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I'm thinking that this could be viewed as a lack of whatever force has been causing the recent swarms.
Kinda like an opposite to that force or just a lack of.
It is happening again. Were up to 70 min now.

In my simple mind the thought exist that if the poles were to shift and the center of the galaxy does have an effect on earth then we will see more activity at times and less at times. More severe highs and lows until we get closer to the center point where the change would take place.
edit on 6-9-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
Batten down the hatches, 2012 is about to get interesting!!!

God I'm sick of these posts.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join