I Changed Party Affiliation Today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Obligatory civics video: www.flickr.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by powerdrone
I always have fun being a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. If I vote with my heart our economy tanks and people lose their homes, if I vote with my wallet people's rights are taken away.

That's not social liberal / fiscal conservative.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Personally switched affiliations after Obama got the Dem nomination the first time (Far to little political exp, freshman senator spending his first term trying to be President, how bout you do the job you where elected to first) after a life time of being a SO ca dem...

After the RNC convention shenanigans I have sworn to vote third party even if my vote is thrown away no matter what.

Amen to that! I vow to do the same thing.
********* I have a serious question I hope someone can answer for me. I seem to recall during in a presidential election, if you are registered as a Rep or Dem your only choice on the ballot is your pres nominee. I don't remember seeing all parties names. I'm hoping my memory is wrong. My problem is, I used to be a Dem, I switched back just before he last election so I wouldn't be forced to vote for Obummer. Anyway, I don't want to vote Rep or Dem this time around and would like to write in my vote, however I'm not sure I'll have a space for a write in candidate since I'm still registered as a Rep. Can anyone recall???? Thank you in advance for any replies.
(and yes I know the votes are manipulated, I just like to vote so I can go to sleep with a clear conscience that I did my part to try and help make a change. If you're curious who my write in would be just research who our troops like the best!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I always have fun being a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. If I vote with my heart our economy tanks and people lose their homes, if I vote with my wallet people's rights are taken away.

The only socially liberal and fiscally conservative party is the Democratic party. It hasn't always been that way, but it is now. The Republicans are socially retarded and fiscally irresponsible.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Welcome!

They call our ilk "Independents" in my neck of the woods.

On the plus side you won't get no where near as many calls during primary time.

On the minus side *everybody* will be ringing your phone come general election time.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

In 2008 I changed as well, and I am officially Non Partisan. I actually agree more with Libertarians than anything but I like being a non partisan right now

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble

Originally posted by Annee

The only socially liberal and fiscally conservative party is the Democratic party. It hasn't always been that way, but it is now. The Republicans are socially retarded and fiscally irresponsible.

I am who I say I am.

Simple.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Social conservative? LOL!
You didn't drop anything but a turd of a name only to remain a nameless turd.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I switch my party affiliation from Democrat to Republican depending on who's in the state house Governor slot.
I apply for a lot of state grants and contracts with my business; I can play their silly game.

I can still vote in the primaries because I still think local elections have an affect on me personally. Nationally I always vote against the Fascist.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PMNOrlando

I don't think you have to vote any way other than what you choose to on voting day.

When I registered, I had the choice of checking a box for Republican, Democrat, or Other (please name). I never have been one to affiliate with any certain anything including and especially religion and politics...and I still do not. But I did not want to write in some third party name I knew nothing about other than a name even more than I did not want to be one of the big two parties.

I resented the fact that I had to make a choice in order to be able to cast my vote....not that I had to conform my vote to the box I chose to check mark but just that I had to choose sides on something about which I did not care to choose any sides at all...

I have been meaning to look into my state's laws on polling and what-not but haven't yet. I guess that is what you should do, too, since I think (not sure) that state laws vary. I could be wrong. My mom has been a voter in NM for most of her life and always told me that I could vote however I wanted to, no matter which party I 'chose.'

But my beef is that I had to choose at all...it was just a token, anyway....necessary in order to be able to vote. And I haven't even done that yet...this year I plan to, though. Something to cross off my bucket list!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Well I was going to recommend going to Libertarian Party platform and website and getting signed up. I see you are a social conservative...perhaps the Constitution Party is more your speed.

The Constitution Party Platform and Website

Don't mean to run off a potential supporter but Libertarians are fiscally conservative and socially free...I don't want religious wingnuts proclaiming to be Libertarians...they are NOT. if you are not pro-choice... for small government and big freedom...don't darken our name or our doors.

Let me clarify a seemingly harsh position.

I have been a Libertarian since before being "Libertarian" was cool. I am happy my party is getting attention...bout time people wake up. However, I do not want people coming in that do not embrace the philosophy of freedom. If you are socially conservative...you prob won't like the very spine of Libertarianism. I suggest the Constitution Party because they "are" constitutionalists" but they are pro-life. I have a great appreciation for all of the different political philosophies, they are needed and people need to find the one that "is" them...that represents their beliefs...accepting one that you do not agree with, or trying to change one to your way of thinking is not accomplishing anything.

There are 39 politcal parties in the United States...perhaps everyone should take some time and search their hearts and their minds to find the one that actually represents "them"...scary thought isn't it? It will be through grassroots movements that we make changes...not picking the "apparent" winner...if the "winner" does not represent 80+ percent of what you stand for...you need a new party...that simple. As I said, I am glad the Libertarians are finally getting some attention...but I don't want a bunch of people proclaiming to be Libertarian that actually have no idea what it is about...do some homework...here is the list of the active political parties in the USA

Wiki list of active political parties in the USA

edit on 7-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)
edit on 7-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
let me ask you this, "DOES YOUR NEW PARTY"

know how to write a budget?
know how to deal with lobbyists?
know how to write laws?
know what to do with all the working people in government?...fire all? fire some? fire no one? how would you choose?
have enough law school knowledge on how laws actually work? or affect an entire nation? or the consequences of those laws?
have enough financially intelligent people, to know the finances of america, and how those work?
would you protect the enviorment, or even know how to?
would you protect workers, or just let business screw them without regulations?
what happens to the debt?...got any good plans without destroying the dollar?
would you allow women to have abortions?...or...just put all those women in jail?
what if business wanted to lower the minimum wage, would you go along with it?
would you cancel medicare? social security? stop education money from going to the states?

this is a country of over 300 million peoplethat needs efficient, thoughtful, intelligent people to run it, it's not like changing the poker rules on beer night in your garage.

I was going to go on a long tirade, but suffice to say, your last sentence breaks my heart...

No, we don't need people to run things for 300 million+ people...we need people to be personally responsible. We need people to take charge of their own lives and stop handing their rights and their personal power to someone else...Only when we once again learn how to take care of ourselves and do what is right will we return to greatness...expecting a handful of people to do it for you is guaranteed failure...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Nope...

The Democratic party is based purely on "the mob rules"...they will strip the rights away from a new kind of minority...the fiscally conservative or the constitutionalists. They ARE socially liberal...but they are fiscally liberal as well...

I do not follow the idea of "pure democracy"...I believe in a Republic. A Republic means every single voice matters...a pure democracy IS "the mob rules"...if you are a small group or an individual, the "mob" will stampede over you...not right and not what this country was founded upon.

We are a Republic...the rule of law...it does not matter what the "mob" says...the law is the law. That is the ultimate in fairness and equal rights....

The Constitution makes everything perfectly clear...the rule of law is the only way....even the Magna Carta was based upon the rule of Law...anything less is trampling across someone, somewhere...
edit on 7-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Well put.

Brilliantly stated.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
reply to post by Grumble

Nope...

The Democratic party is based purely on "the mob rules"...they will strip the rights away from a new kind of minority...the fiscally conservative or the constitutionalists. They ARE socially liberal...but they are fiscally liberal as well...

I do not follow the idea of "pure democracy"...I believe in a Republic. A Republic means every single voice matters...a pure democracy IS "the mob rules"...if you are a small group or an individual, the "mob" will stampede over you...not right and not what this country was founded upon.

We are a Republic...the rule of law...it does not matter what the "mob" says...the law is the law. That is the ultimate in fairness and equal rights....

The Constitution makes everything perfectly clear...the rule of law is the only way....even the Magna Carta was based upon the rule of Law...anything less is trampling across someone, somewhere...

OK, but you are going to have to explain why you think Democrats are for mob rule. You do know that the names "Democrat" and "Republican" do not denote a preference for a pure democracy or a republic, right?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Welcome!

They call our ilk "Independents" in my neck of the woods.

On the plus side you won't get no where near as many calls during primary time.

On the minus side *everybody* will be ringing your phone come general election time.

What is this "phone" thing you mention?

@Grumble
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
edit on 9/18/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You can't be a libertarian and be socially conservative at the same time.

Social conservatism is big government trying to tell people what they can and cannot do.
edit on 25-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Right now the main people with strong political power are the ones that can afford to lobby a politician. A republic in a capitalist economy is nothing but mob rule by corporations and the wealthy. The ability to lobby isn't fair or equal.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Maybe I'm alone here, but I truly do not like hearing citizens considering themselves as 'unaffiliated'.

I can understand that a person may view issues in more than way and can side with more than one party: for example, I am not religious, I support gay rights, I am pro-choice, and I believe in gun rights. What in the world would that make me?

Well, I vote Republican, because I am fiscally conservative- most importantly.

See, like it or not, this country is based on a two-party system. There most likely will NEVER be a candidate or party whose ideologies all line up with yours. Regardless, it will always be ran by one party or the other.

We should not look for a party who mirrors each political ideology we have personally. Can't please all of the people all of the time. Not gonna happen.

My point is that as citiziens, we should seek to be active in the political process, and make our voting decisions based on which platform that we are mostly concerned with, be it fiscal or social.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
reply to post by Grumble

Nope...

Agreed.

And being fiscally liberal is "Robin Hood Politics"- stealing from the rich to give to the poor.

Even though liberals would like to assume that they are doing good work with someone else's money, they must remember that this is thef at the core.

You don't get good from evil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join