US accuses BP of 'gross negligence' in 2010 oil spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

US accuses BP of 'gross negligence' in 2010 oil spill

www.reuters.com

The U.S. Justice Department is ramping up its rhetoric against BP PLC for the massive 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, laying out in a new court filing examples of what it calls "gross negligence and willful misconduct."

The filing is the sharpest position yet taken by the U.S. government as it seeks to hold the British oil giant largely responsible for the largest oil spill in U.S. history.

"The behavior, words, and actions of these BP executives would not be tolerated in a middling size company manufacturing dry goods for sale in a suburban mall," government lawyers wrote in t
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Personally I am doubtful anything substantial will come of this since big oil and politics are in the same gang, and are in eachother's pockets.

It would be nice to see some liability and accountability finally take place but as previously said this is highly doubtful and in my opinion this is just smoke and mirrors and a partial distraction from the actual disaster and other current events that are unfolding.

One thing is for sure is that I would like to see everyone who had a part in this disaster, including those who lied and did not compensate the victims and the environment to be held accountable for their actions, this includes the US government. I find their accusation towards BP to be very hypocritical since they were part of the problem since the very beginning.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Could not agree with you more here.

This "firm" statement is just a formality to appease those in the US that are calling for action. The relation between big business and government is becoming ever more clear and as you have infered, no real action is likely to take place.

I fear that at some point Industrial and Corporate Giants will soon have enough power and influence to disregard what any nation tells them to do.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yeah well there should be more people accusing the Justice Department for gross negligence in light of the F&F scandal as well as the absence of action in regards to the 2008 financial crises.Sorry, I got a little off topic there.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
One thing is for sure is that I would like to see everyone who had a part in this disaster, including those who lied and did not compensate the victims and the environment to be held accountable for their actions, this includes the US government. I find their accusation towards BP to be very hypocritical since they were part of the problem since the very beginning.

Here here.

Let's hope the phrase "willful misconduct" carries some weight when deciding what is going to be done here. Although I do share your pessimism about something being done in this situation because of the close ties between big oil and the government I do hope they end up making an example out of BP. These disasters cannot continue to happen. The way the BP execs handled themselves after the disaster was insulting and just showed us how little they were concerned.

Our oceans will not ever be the same again if these accidents continue to happen and until someone is hit financially these accidents will continue to happen because it is cheaper to cut corners. This ruling is at least a glimmer of hope in a #ty situation. I will be very interested to see how this is handled.

ETA ... umm too much "truth" broke ATS?
edit on 5-9-2012 by underduck because: I think I broke the page somehow by accident.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I fear that at some point Industrial and Corporate Giants will soon have enough power and influence to disregard what any nation tells them to do.

I fear this as well. In fact, I believe we are already or are very near this point.

Sometimes I just feel helpless, and I can only imagine how the people directly affected by the disaster feel with all the BS they have been put through. Their lives will never be the same.

I believe you are Canadian, the same thing is happening in a slightly different manner in our Alberta Oil Sands as it is very obvious our government has also sold out to these corporations and lie and steal as our environment is polluted and the rich get wealthier while our economy has not improved. You would think all this oil revenue would make it's way back to Canadians, the same thing goes for the citizens of the United States. We are all getting screwed.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Nothing will happen. Corporations cant even be charged with murder, its called corporate manslaughter snd no one can get into trouble personally.

This is all hot air by the feds plain and simple. BP should be totally stripped, completely sold off and the money should be plowed into the cleanup and the residents.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Yes i am in Ontario.

True, i feel were are seeing the corporatization growing in Canada as well. We are practically connected at the hip with the US economically, though we do seem to have some type of buffer system that helps mitigate economic fluctuations.

To conclude, i feel this is an inevitable progression of capitalism, continued growth and domination over the entire world market. We are just along for the ride.

Edit: The BP incident is just another example Corporatism is running wild with little checks and balances and every political condemnation of these disasters is just an illusion meant to quell public out cries.
edit on 5-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
This is all hot air by the feds plain and simple. BP should be totally stripped, completely sold off and the money should be plowed into the cleanup and the residents.

I am sure there are myriad companies who should suffer a similar fate and who (in the great scheme of things) are worse polluters and corporate bastards that BP could ever be. Let's not forget that it is US companies who have turned 70,000 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico into a dead zone due to the outflow from the Mississippi. These companies are laughing their heads off.

This is just a witch hunt against a foreign company and the only people who will get rich are the lawyers.

Regards

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Obama was a fraud during that entire fiasco
All he was doing was talking tuff with BP while helping them in the backround.

I wonder if Obama will use this in 2012 for the disaster that happened in 2010 for his campaign

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

oh sure they will be held accountable. They will get a large fine and tongue wagging from inept politicians going for a photo op.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
What did Obama do during the aftermath that wasnt up to standards?

Or was it that he just didnt do anything? If thats the case I would say that perhaps we was waiting for an official ruling like this to just what had happened? Maybe?
edit on 5-9-2012 by underduck because: to be on topic

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

I am confused?

Easy fix to the continued ecological disasters? Is that what you are asking?

I would say only at the point when ecological disasters start effecting the bottom line dramatically will we see any kind of change in attitude from big business.
edit on 5-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Does anyone else find it odd that it took two years to come to the same conclusion many of "knew" the week after it happened?
edit on 5-9-2012 by underduck because: to be on topic

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
Does my post look odd to the rest of you?

Is there an easy fix that any of you know of?

Your post looks fine to me, I'm not sure what you would need to fix. Does it look odd to you? If so try refreshing the page because don't know what you are experiencing.

No worries, I know you are not trying to derail the thread.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Still looks weird to me. Oh well. If it looks good to the rest of you I will not mess with it.

I will try to edit my above posts to be on topic. Sorry about that.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

why am i suspecting this will be in the news regularly
and then shrivel up, die and be forgotten once the elections are over?

ya gotta hand it to barry,
very creative when it comes to campaign financing
edit on 5-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit and comment

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

You and Modern Academia make a great point about this announcemenet and the fact that it's almost election time, it's mighty convenient to say the least.

I just feel bad for the people who get a false sense of hope when our governments lie to us about this type of stuff. It's as if they are preying on the weak and it's pretty disgusting in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

lol
well the tool in chief did fake
going swimming in the GOM

talk about willingly bending over and grabbing his heels.

no way DOJ is serious about this
to paraphrase the bard:

"it will be all sound and fury, signifying nothing."
and much laughing all the way to bank as well methinks

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Just in time for Obama to start talking about his Green Economy platform.

Just in time for an election season?

Yup, no surprises there.

BP should be removed from operating in the US until such a time they can prove they aren't this hugely incompetent.

~Tenth

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join