It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

examine an email scam using our troops as the bait.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
SO I got a funny email yesterday from a supposed sergeant serving in Iraq...I usually don't answer these things or even open them, but since I have recently been expecting emails from the US army about enlistment and other goarmy.com profile junk....I opened it.

He asked me if I was interested in a business proposal....lol
Here is the first email...

I Xed out his name just in case....though I doubt he exists.

I am Sgt. ***** *****, an American soldier, serving in the Military with
the army''''s 3rd infantry division and I have a business for you if
interested get back to me.
for more details please contact me via email:Sgt.******@hotmail.com

Regards,
Sgt. **** *******

so today I get this email...

Dear Friend,

Good day and compliments, I know this letter will definitely come to you as a huge surprise, but I implore you to take the time to go through it carefully as the decision you make will go off a long way to determine my future and continued existence. Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Sgt. ***** *****, a US Army. serving in the US 3rd Infantry division, which Patrols the An bar province, Iraq.

I am desperately in need of assistance and I have summoned up courage to contact you. I am presently in Iraq and I found your contact particulars in an address journal. I am seeking your assistance to evacuate the sum of Twenty Five million United States dollars ($25,000,000 MILLION US DOLLARS ) to the States or any safe country, as far as I can be assured that it will be safe in your care until I complete my service here.This is no stolen money and there are no dangers involved.

SOURCE OF MONEY:

Some money in various currencies was discovered and concealed in barrels with piles of weapons and ammunition at a location near one of Saddam Hussein's old Presidential Palaces during a rescue operation and it was agreed by all party present that the money be shared amongst us.This might appear as an illegal thing to do but I tell you what? No compensation can make up for the risks we have taken with our lives in this hell hole. The above figure was given to me as my share and to conceal this kind of money became a problem for me, so with the help of a British contact working with the UN here(his office enjoys some immunity)I was able to get the package out to a safe location entirely out of trouble spot.He does not know the real contents of the package as he believes that it belongs to an American who died in an air raid, before giving up trusted me to hand over the package to his close relative.

There is no risk what so ever, as regards this money. But the most important thing is that I do not want this money to go through the bank around here, It will not be safe for us, I have a very good, trusted and reliable diplomatic courier contact used mostly by our forces, that can send goods easily through diplomatic and private military way, to anywhere in the world, without them being checked at any port of entry.They can deliver this money for you easily, to any address of your choice.

If interested forward information below to me for shipment

FULL NAMES, RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS,SEX,AGE,PHONE NUMBER,OCCUPATION, COMPANY NAME,COMPANY ADDRESS,NATIONALITY,ID/,

DRIVERS LICENSE.

You know that the security is very important, you can not trust anybody therefore note that this transaction is not safe on the phone, remember to keep it Confidential. I can not call you on the phone or receive fax. The total sum amount in the box is $25,000,000 MILLION US DOLLARS and I hope that you can handle it? I hope you are okay with this? Everything must be done by email until the funds gets to your possession.I hope you understand me ? I need your urgent reply in this regard.

Please I would like you to keep this proposal as a top secret and delete it if you are not interested. Upon receipt of your reply, I will give you more details regarding this transaction and also note that you will have 30% of the above mentioned amount if you agree to help me execute this business.

I do not know for how long I will remain here as I have been lucky to have survived two suicide bomb attacks by Pure Divine intervention. This and other reasons put into consideration have prompted me to reach out for help. If it might be of interest to you then Endeavour to contact me and we would work out the necessary formalities but I pray that you are discreet about this mutually benefiting relationship.

Respectfully,

Sgt.****** *******

So I am wondering WHO THE HELL falls for this? At most, if I thought it legit, I would report his ass and send this to the proper authorities....and at the very least I will not even take this seriously.

The only thing that urked me is that I signed up to goarmy.com, made a profile and filled out the worthless application in honest and almost completely. I know it is just to get you far enough along to get you into the recruitment office when you cant complete it, but I am going to enlist anyways and I had a few hours to kill so I figured what the hell.....

then these emails start happening. Could there be someone who runs the goarmy website giving out email addresses of new members for scams? Or is someone just messing with me?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Nigerian 401 scam - that particular scam has been floating around on the internet since the fall of Baghdad. If it sounds too good to be true (ESPECIALLY on the internet) it most likely is. These scammers play on the greed of Westerners. Funny thing, most people who fall for these blatant internet scams are well educated, mobile businessmen with money. Those clever Nigerians playing on peoples absolute greed, and it works more often then you'd think.

Edit - Just a side note, DO NOT send these suckers your personal information, or your Identity WILL be used, either through identity theft, or through using your personal details to make another scam look more legit. Most will send you just about any type of (forged/stolen) documentation you ask for.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Syyth007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I read an article on this subject, which made a really good point.

These scams are so obviously a scam, that it is the most efficient way for the susceptible and easily deceived individuals to be identified and exploited.

Those who actually inquire about these attempts at extracting money are the most likely to participate in the scam.

Quite ingenious on the part of the con artists.

Deny ignorance can even be dumbed down to preventing email scams.

edit on 5-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
People fall for this all the time, but i dont understand how
They dont think any harm can be done with THAT much information. I mean really? Nationality / ID / License ? lol what the #. But I guess this information does have a use and would sell to someone.

If they were smart they would just hire some talented hackers and just steal millions of names / addresses / etc from ISP's or Hydro companies, etc etc. This seems like a very slow and tedious way to get someones information when its all out there,.
edit on 5-9-2012 by gostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
makes a change from the "you've won the lottery"scams.I think these Nigerians are getting more creative.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
ah the old 419 scam from the lads in Lagos promising millions if you can provide them with enough money to grease the wheels, theres a few websites that play along with them and get them to do hilarious things as they think they're going to get rich soon

if you want some fun just start trolling them

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Every time I get one of these, with a request to reply to an email, I send a very nasty response. And I mean nasty. I'm talkin' language even my wife has never heard me use on my worst day. People like this, who use suffering and misery to con money out of folks, deserve no better.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

We got that email while we were in Iraq. I cant believe people would fall for that. The one email was from a gmail then a week or 2 later i got the same msg but is was from hotmail. I would have gave it some credibility if it was a @iraq.centcom.mil address.

My question is what is that Sgt still doing in Iraq, guess he didnt get the memo

edit on 2012/9/5 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

The people that send these (scam emails) are most likely from Nigeria; they pretend to be all sorts of people; military, the FBI, a barrister in England etc.

I suggest just ignore them and delete; never, never answer them.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Your avatar scares me... She looks exactly like a girl I messed with a few years ago. She was nuts. So every time i see your avatar I can hear her screaming at me

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

then these emails start happening. Could there be someone who runs the goarmy website giving out email addresses of new members for scams? Or is someone just messing with me?

I doubt it. I got those emails and I never once went to the GoArmy site. btw dont believe 90% what a recruiter tells you, they are worse then a used car salesman.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ussoldier

Your avatar scares me... She looks exactly like a girl I messed with a few years ago. She was nuts. So every time i see your avatar I can hear her screaming at me

The avatar I chose is not a photo of me; but I did choose it because it looks similar to what I looked like when I was younger. Maybe the girl you messed with years ago; is messed up; because you messed with her; only you know that.

Anyway...what does my avatar have to do with (email scams)....nothing! There are a lot of (email scams) around and people do need to be careful.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I wasnt trying to offend you in anyway or imply that u are nutz because of your avatar. Yes I know my comment was "off topic" for which i do apologise to you and the OP.

I also agree with you 100% about all the scams out there. every minute you go online you are bombarded with scams. Thats why I never use my real email, phone number, address, or name when im online.

Someone tried scamming me by texting my phone pretending to be my bank saying " We are updating our customers information. Please reply to this msg with your full name, SSN, and account #. I called my bank and they said its a scam, they will never text someone.

btw, No it wasnt from me. Shes actually in jail now fow stabbing a co worker

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ussoldier

I think the way you handle scammers...is very smart! Also...thanks for making things clear about that woman you knew....my bad....I apologize. Sometimes.. I am just too sarcastic.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I think the way you handle scammers...is very smart! Also...thanks for making things clear about that woman you knew....my bad....I apologize. Sometimes.. I am just too sarcastic.

Thank you... I just had a scammer try to get my info 2 days ago. This time it actually pissed me off because off they used 9/11 as part of it. I got a msg on my facebook sayin some BS like "in honor of all of those that served for the war on terrorism and to show our appreiciation on this 11th anniversary of the attacks on 9/11 we will make a you a plaque with all your military accomplishments at no cost to you." Then it said for me to send a copy of my military id and DD-214.

Once I seen that they wanted a copy of my id and dd214 I knew it was for identity theft. A dd214 has everything they need to steal your identity. I forward that msg to all my buddies in the military so they wouldnt get fooled.

So be careful and always be vigilant, they will stop at nothing to try get what they want from you. They are the lowest forms of life, people stealing to survive one thing ie.. water, food, clothing ect.., I have no problem with that) these scam artist should be hunted down and thrown in jail for life. They prey on the elderly, mentally handicapped, and people that been through tragedies.

btw I am always skilled the the art of sarcasim

Its not your fault you got pissy with me. I tend to bring that out of people when online. I think it because I type like I talk and when doing that its hard for the other person to make sense of your intentions. since your not talking face to face alot of information doesnt get passed because alot of the way we communicate is through facial expressions and the tone of our voice.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Thank you for what you said; I really appreciate your kindness.

I do know what you mean...I have had scam artists pose as U.S. soldiers overseas; as the head of the FBI etc. It is really annoying! Unfortunately...there are too trusting, naive and gullible people about who do sometimes believe these scam artists and are fooled by them. Also there is the person that is too curious and they get taken by them too.

I say ignore them and delete...always.

edit on 13-9-2012 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

No problem. you dont have to thank me for being nice. I have no reason to be a A-hole to you or anyone I have never met. there is alot of people that think that its perfectly ok to "flame" others online for no reason. I guess they forget that they are actually talking to real people that have feelings. I try to talk online how I would if they were someone that sat next to me at a bar.

Anyway I did get taken advantage of or scammed. I live on the coast of Mississippi and when hurricane Katrina hit the coast was destroyed. Every one on my street were pretty close and friendly to each other even though I was the only white guy on that road they all treated me like family.

There was 2 brothers one was 17 and the other was 14 they were being raised by their grandparents since the mother was in prison for selling drugs and weapons charge. I talked to them a few times and they seemed nice. Well the brothers grandmother died in the hurricane. Everyone tried to help thier grandfather by dropping off money so they could pay bills or for food. I felt bad for them so I kind of being like a big brother to them.

They would come over my house and we would play Xbox, I would drive them to the store, I took them on my base so they could check out the tanks, and helicopters. Well one night when I was on the shooting range I got a phone call from the police telling me I need to get home.

When I turned down my road all I see is blue lights everywhere. Well come to find out those 2 brothers I did everything for broke into my house, destroyed everything inside, stole my tv's, laptop, Xbox, Ps3, and they tried steeling all my guns but they couldnt break into my guns vault. Thank god for my neighbor he knew I was on base for a few days, he noticed the lights on in my house and a shadow walking inside. So he called the cops and they caught them while they were trying to pry open the gun vault( those retards really thought they could pry open a 800lb Cannon gun vault:lol

The younger brother got probation and the older one got 6months in jail and 2 years probation and they had to pay restitution for all the damage to my property. I am glad I didnt walk in on them cause in Mississippi I would have been well within state law to use deadly force. Not sure whatever happend to them after that since I moved to a new house in a better nieghborhood.

Well that was a long story just to say not only gotta watch out online you really got to be careful who you are friends with and who you let in your home.
I learned the hard way

new topics

top topics

join