It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious shipwreck washes onto Alabama shore, believed to be from Civil War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Hurricane Isaac uncover a litle mystery, as a wreck of a ship believed to be a Civil War-era vessel, dating to 1862 washed onto the shores of an Alabama beach.

It's not filled with gold or treasures, but cool anyway.

Source

Hurricane Isaac has washed the remains of a blockade-runner vessel onto the shores of an Alabama beach, and many believe it could be a Civil War-era vessel, dating to 1862, according to the Birmingham News. However, a debate has ensued over exactly which era the shipwreck is from.

This is actually the fourth time parts of the wreckage have become visible over the years, after it first made an appearance following Hurricane Camille in 1969. It reappeared in 2004 after Hurricane Ivan and again in 2008 after Hurricane Ike.

edit on 5-9-2012 by Mianeye because: Gramma

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Somebody, wants to get home really really bad. I love seeing what our world under the sea, spits back out from time to time. I can't help, when I see pics like this, wonder what was happening at the time they sank into the deeps. What was going on in the minds of the people on board. Were they close enough to shore for some to have survived.

Each pic is an unanswered mystery, leading my imagination to fill in the blanks. Wish I was there on the beach to see it up close, touch it to feel the emotions it would invoke. TY for posting this story.....

Des

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I don't think this one sank. It looks to me like maybe its last blockade run didn't go well and it got its upper parts blown off, and then it kept drifting with everything not covered in salt water rotting away.

I might be wrong
edit on 5-9-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Either way it should be put in a museum and preserved (even private might be better) -not left on a beach to rot. I bet in 1966 it looked a lot less like its top got blown off!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Awesome find!

How cool would that be to wake up after the storm, look out the window, and see that? Oh look Honey, the hurricane dumped a museum piece on our beach.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I love how the ocean just coughs things like this up every once in a while. Makes you wonder what else is laying around under the water possible in places we can't get to. Thanks for posting

new topics

top topics

join