It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Christian Lobby leader- "Smoking healthier than Gay Marriage"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

The head of the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) Jim Wallace says smoking is healthier than the lifestyle that would be promoted by same-sex marriage.

Mr Wallace made the claim in a debate on marriage equality with Greens leader Christine Milne at the University of Tasmania on Wednesday. Answering a question from a student on the relevance of his views, he said health statistics among the gay community were worse than those for smokers. "I think we're going to owe smokers a big apology when the homosexual community's own statistics for its health - which it presents when it wants more money for health - are that is has higher rates of drug-taking, of suicide, it has the life of a male reduced by up to 20 years," he told the audience.

Mr Wallace said legalising same-sex marriage in other countries had not reduced risk factors for gay people.

"Where gay marriage has been introduced, or civil unions, it hasn't changed the level of suicide," he said.

"We have to accept the unfortunate levels of suicide, the unfortunate levels of excessive drug use (are) because of the nature of the lifestyle. "I am very sorry for that. My heart goes out to those people. But it is a fact."

Senator Milne accused the ACL of homophobia and said Christians should be more concerned with poverty than homosexuality.

Mr Wallace accused the Greens of demonising churches with "hate language" and caring more for trees than children.

He described gay activism as "bullying" and said a climate had been created for "legislation by fatigue".

It is lobbyists such as Mr Wallace that are missing the point of what I believe Jesus's message to humanity was:- Love one another as I have loved you.

As a Catholic, I am personally embarrassed by his words. I have many gay friends and I know that this is going to upset them.

"Divide & Conquer" or "United we stand, divided we fall" is all too prevalent in our society today and this is just another blow to the wedge to drive society apart.

My thoughts are this:-

1. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
2. Clean up your own backyard before peering over the fence to criticise the state of your neighbours backyard.
3. If you were at deaths door from say renal failure or other and the only person willing and able to help you was the one whom you despise - would you rather die than choose life?

Mr Wallace quoting statistics to justify his agenda only worsens the reputation of an already volatile faith. I would like him to quote where Jesus actually said anything against or in condemnation of this.

He did say "forgive those who persecute you".

To date, not one gay person that I know (or do not know) has effected my life one iota. Individuals such as Mr Wallace, however, do appear to be effecting the lives of those they are condemning.

I wish to add - I am opposed to extremists in the gay community and I would categorize them as I do Mr Wallace.

As I have said before and will continue to say - how you respond to this is your Karma - not mine.

God Loves - People Hate.

Ninemsn
edit on 9/5/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Note--Removed OT picture.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

We are doomed as a species.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
What a blatant piece of text. I mean, serious?
2nd

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Man I could think of about 10 tasteless jokes right off the bat....and theyre funny too! But only with the mods blessings....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
LOL this guy is an absolute joke.

Has he thought about the possibility that the suicide/drug taking rate is higher because they had a real struggle over the past few decades to be accepted?

Yeah it's easy running down the street shouting you're a Christian, no one will give a donkeys fart. However someone shouting 'I'M GAY' down the street would have gotten some serious reactions, just because of ignorance and homophobia.

Easy to say they have higher health costs, I'd like to know why though.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Shouldnt this be posted in the jokes forum?

Dear level headed christians, its guys like this that are ruining your image.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I am a christian, and I would share with anyone who asks, about the Bible's messages from our common Creator on civilisational guides for the ethical progress and evolution of mankind.

I am a smoker, BUT would NOT share with anyone else who ask, for a cigarette, for I want no one else to take up the smoking habit, which may be detrimental to their health, as some medical studies suggests.

Homosexuals and Heterosexuals faces equally the vulnerabilities of life and love. Those who are strong, will learn from mistakes, pick themselves up and grow stronger.

Those who are weak, will find life and love a struggle, and may fall victims to abusive relationships,equally same for both homosexuals and heterosexuals alike.

Thus, the strong do have a responsibility to care for the weak, with no discrimination to anyone. To do otherwise, is to drive the weak, whom are only our fellow humans, over the edge unnecessarily.

May that lobbyist have more humanity than dogmatic rhetoric, for precious human lives are at stake.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
There are fruitcakes like this in every country, hopefully a day will come when these types will die off and we can begin a new path in the small chapter of humanity.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Well we have plenty of radical Christians here in America claiming similar things. I mean we have people who claim the "homosexual agenda" is to bring down society itself or to dominate society. People claim that gay marriage would help destroy the fabric of our nation here in America. It's completely ridiculous of course and all it has to do with is preserving the status quo. Arguments against interracial marriage were very similar back in the day, claims that it went against the natural order, or against God, or that interracial families would tear apart the fabric of the nation and threaten the cogency of the established "family unit". A child can't be raised by a black Mother and white Father, the bigots would argue, they would disagree on too many things, the child would grow up with confused conflicted values.

It's almost all the same arguments, grasping at straws because there is no good reason to stop them from getting married.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If i understand correctly, the speaker is claiming that men in a long term gay relationship have shorter life spans than smokers. My question is, is that false?

Ok, we can call it nutty, biased, un-Christian, homophobic, and all sorts of other names. But is it false?

Look at what one poster has said:

LOL this guy is an absolute joke.

Has he thought about the possibility that the suicide/drug taking rate is higher because they had a real struggle over the past few decades to be accepted?. . .

Easy to say they have higher health costs, I'd like to know why though.

Notice that the poster fulfills his duties by calling him "an absolute joke?" BUT, then he says "that the suicide/drug taking rate is higher because . . ." Notice the poster is saying that there ARE more suicides, but the real question is why?

I would submit, that for this thread, the speaker (Mr. Wallace, is it?) comes out spotless and vindicated. What he said does seem to be true.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Jesus had 2 dads, and I think most Christians would say that the dude turned out alright. Why are they so against it?
edit on 9/5/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join