It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs That We Have Seriously Messed Up The Next Generation Of Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Well, here's one of those "laundry list"-type articles that's essentially a long iteration of depressing statistics. In this case, its called 40 Signs That We Have Seriously Messed Up The Next Generation Of Americans, and I think its worth a look, more than most examples of the genre.

Some of the stats are truly chilling. Rather than list all of them (which would be a terms-and-conditions no-no) I'll toss out a few of the more eyebrow-arching examples.

Then I think we should all ponder what the %$& is going on with young people and what we're gonna do about it. Because we can't just do nothing. After looking at these, I think you'll agree.

Approximately 57 percent of all children in the United States are living in homes that are either considered to be either "low income" or impoverished.

More than 25 percent of all U.S. children have a chronic health condition that affects their ability to learn.

At this point, 15-year-olds that attend U.S. public schools do not even rank in the top half of all industrialized nations when it comes to math or science literacy.

Children in the United States are three times more likely to be prescribed antidepressants than children in Europe are.

It is being projected that approximately 50 percent of all U.S. children will be on food stamps at some point in their lives before they reach the age of 18.

It is estimated that child homelessness in the United States has risen by 33 percent since 2007.

One out of every four teen girls in the United States now has an STD.

Source

Is there even any hope left?

edit on 9/5/2012 by FailedProphet because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Sep 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: quote was still too long

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
High school pupils watching only 2hrs of pr0n per week? I doubt that

Man, we didn't have the internet in my time..

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Not caring about one's own population is the American spirit.
So according to those statistics, everything's in order! They just need to solve it on their own!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Fast food, bad schooling, nanny state beliefs and bad government have contributed to the new generation of overweight deliquents.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Sounds like BS honestly. But as for the diagnosis part, well they make a bunch of stuff up now a days. I know one teen ager that doesn't leave the house. Probably because he doesnt see any future outside of his daily routine of video games and crap. Depressing though, cause I was nothing like said teenager, I would have been hanging out by mcdonalds. Social interaction is better.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Sheeple parents make sheeple kids.

Really what more can be said? Sure one can blame this that and the other but you can beat having your offspring become a statistic if you're aware of the problems, are realistic, and stay involved and on top of things as a parent.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

"When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint". Hesiod, 8th century BC

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?" Plato, 4th Century BC

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress." Attributed to Peter the Hermit, AD 1274

Will these young punks ever learn, at this rate society will collapse... oh wait, it seems Adults favorite past time is complain about the younger generation since the dawn of time.

In 20 years the youths of today will be complaining about their kids and blaming society for the problem.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11

You can't stop your kids from going to public school and being introduced to this trend. Well you can if you're rich. It doesn't matter how good of a parent you are, when you send the kids to school they are on an even playing field with everyone else.

Peer pressure sucks, I remember it.

In my day it was smoking, now its drugs and getting pregnant. Our future is bleak.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Approximately 50% of statistics proven to be innacurate

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Pretty sure AIDS wasn't around in 50 bc. If 1 in 4 teens have std's and it takes years to find out you have HIV...

Our little innocent kids are in for a world of hurt.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

Not two posts down and someone already proved the first line of your response. ATS is surely a place where the "truth" comes out, voluntarily or involuntarily.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yeah no kidding.

And we wonder why they hang out in front of McDonalds or any other place.

Probably because the economy sucks and they have nothing better to do.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
reply to post by benrl

Pretty sure AIDS wasn't around in 50 bc. If 1 in 4 teens have std's and it takes years to find out you have HIV...

Our little innocent kids are in for a world of hurt.

In a time with out antibiotics syphillis and other infections could kill just as easily as aids does now, if not more so considering modern treatment methods for aids.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Ya i'd say there's a few issues..

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Its a mistake to think generational differences are completely meaningless. The generations that built Rome in the years of its upswing were different from the last generations of the Roman empire in the phase of its decadence, for example. The complacent, opium-addled late-Qing-dynasty Chinese culture was different than that of those who built the Great Wall...as well as those who followed them.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by all2human

We just need to place more random open hand slap to the face guys to enforce pedestrian traffic while texting laws.

Or maybe on of them will encroach on a red light during traffic and the problem will take care of itself.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FailedProphet

Since I'm reaching the fringes of old fart-itude, I'll go ahead and say what all the folks my age are thinking.

I blame the MTV.

I tried to find it via Google a few minutes ago, but I can't recall which ancient philosopher said it.. .but there is a diatribe from one of them about how society was crumbling, and how kids had lost touch. And this was from someone living in either ancient Athens or Rome. My personal view is that, as we age, our world view becomes very egocentric and we simply can no longer connect emotionally with the POV of following generations.

Kids today, in all honesty, are probably a bit smarter than I was in my time. I might have been able to find New York on a map... but a smart phone would have thrown me into a catatonic state. The truth is that geography and several other previously necessary fields of knowledge aren't really things kids these days focus upon, or even need to. After all, You don't have to find New York on a map to sell your social networking app for a few million.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Mtv is probably not as bad as many other things now a days. Im begining to think maybe mtv was a blessing. Albeit a short one.

You know they actually used to play music and stuff.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Dear FailedProphet

I do hope that these stats are reasonable accurate not that I wish this on the people of the US just that it is not worth the comment if not.

However I can give you the reason in one word (GREED)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Dear FailedProphet

I do hope that these stats are reasonable accurate not that I wish this on the people of the US just that it is not worth the comment if not.

However I can give you the reason in one word (GREED)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join