It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you starve or overeat you get a beer belly???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here's one thing I don't understand fully. If you're starving you get a beer belly. But if you over eat you get a beer belly? Then supposedly if you eat somewhere inbetween you'll be okay. Why is that?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

The bloated stomach, as seen in the picture to the right, represents a form of malnutrition called kwashiorkor which is caused by protein deficiency combined with inadequate caloric consumption.[5] Children are more vulnerable to kwashiorkor whose advanced symptoms include weight loss and muscle wasting.[5] It is quite common to depict a thin child with a bloated stomach as starving, but in reality, such child is malnourished

edit on 5-9-2012 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The defining sign of kwashiorkor in a malnourished child is pedal oedema (swelling of the feet). Other signs include a distended abdomen, an enlarged liver with fatty infiltrates, thinning hair, loss of teeth, skin depigmentation and dermatitis. Children with kwashiorkor often develop irritability and anorexia.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
EDIT: haha, nevermind. He posted that stuff in the time it took me to type that out. Carry on....
edit on 5-9-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
S/F .(little late..sorry).. I basically knew what caused it..but I didn't know the definition.

Kwashiorkor (“Kwash”) is deceptive in appearance and therefore far more dangerous. The child (or adult) is edematous which can hide the severity of malnutrition unless the practitioner is looking carefully. These children do not look bony, in fact, just the opposite: they look fat and swollen. Edema is not normal in children. It is a result of fluid shifts during acute malnutrition. Pitting edema in the feet signals severe malnutrition and meets criteria for inpatient admission, regardless of any other measurements.

For malnutrition patients, “edema” is “pitting edema” – press the area with your thumb for a few seconds. If your pressure left an indentation, this is “pitting edema,” and you diagnose your patient with Kwashiorkor. Edema is measured:

0 = no edema present

+ = edema present below ankles

++ = edema in both feet and legs below knees

+++ = edema in both feet, legs and above knees
Source - Guide on Malnutrition

Interesting and something I hope I don't see in person. Some of Northern Mexico I walked across to in the small towns was pretty memorable for poverty but nothing like that.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: make link a bit more informative

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm in my late 30's and I'm starting to get a beer belly. Not sure what to do?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I am 34, and have always had a 6 pack, but a slim frame and build, 5 foot 10 155 LBS.

I hae recently started to get "love handles" and a bigginers beer belly, I have been trying to do more abdomonal exercises, bit it doesn't seem to be helping.

It kinda sucks to be crackhead skinny yet "fat" at the same time, hopefully my exreciseing more often will put me back to slim and trim again.

I would also like to find out what's causing this to happen. So anyone being able to help the op out will be helping me also by proxy, a 2fer, is always awesome.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by r2d246

I am 34, and have always had a 6 pack, but a slim frame and build, 5 foot 10 155 LBS.

I hae recently started to get "love handles" and a bigginers beer belly, I have been trying to do more abdomonal exercises, bit it doesn't seem to be helping.

It kinda sucks to be crackhead skinny yet "fat" at the same time, hopefully my exreciseing more often will put me back to slim and trim again.

I would also like to find out what's causing this to happen. So anyone being able to help the op out will be helping me also by proxy, a 2fer, is always awesome.

You can't spot train problem areas, you probably know that. So more abdo exercise probably won't help. Your best bet is to probably keep an eye on what you're eating/drinking.
Beer belly is so called because beer is highly calorific

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

This video changed the way I eat forever and if you take its advice it will solve your problem.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
They seem to naturally creep on you after 35, either that or my chests just slipped a bit.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Well there it is, i dont really drink much anymore, I grew out of my 20s. Thanks alot for the link, I do believe it is probably my soda intake causing it, as i do partake in at minimum probably half a 2liter a day on average. somtimes more.

Thank you sir!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by r2d246

You can't spot train problem areas, you probably know that. So more abdo exercise probably won't help. Your best bet is to probably keep an eye on what you're eating/drinking.
Beer belly is so called because beer is highly calorific

but who doesn't love beer! And part of my strategy is that if there's an apocolypse it will be good to have a few extra pounds otherwise you'll be in trouble.
edit on 5-9-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
I'm in my late 30's and I'm starting to get a beer belly. Not sure what to do?

Here is a tip,
Stop eating anything with wheat base.
Breads, pastas, and stay away from yeast,,of which is most likely in your beer.
Paleo diet.. you will see the pounds disappear
Also no artificial or HFC products either

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
reply to post by inverslyproportional

This video changed the way I eat forever and if you take its advice it will solve your problem.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

^ This. I can't stress it enough. I had never seen the video before but I knew the facts already.

top topics

join