It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I recharge my iphone off grid???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

With a diode, you could charge your phone one AAA at a time, trickle-charge.

Nope it wont work like that and to add caution to the mix.....doing that and accidentally fitting the diode in the wrong direction has the potential cause the battery to explode/combust.

To the OP....

As the i-phad devices all charge with a 5.5volt USB lead/adapter.....the idea to use a solar panel to charge your i-gadget is sound. Checkout the flexible panels available for camping/sailing. They can be fitted to most packs/rucksacks with some clear plastic and a half-decent sewing machine. An appropriately rated diode fitted to the output from the solar panel will ensure that the panel does not place a load on the device when in darkness.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Originally posted by geobro
www.proporta.com model mups-d6 thats the one i use 5x half inch and recharge of anything plus you can use a telephone socket for 5v check it out on youtube
edit on 5/9/12 by geobro because: (no reason given)

sounds like a reasonablly good idea. I heard for black out emergencies this is a good idea. But your item doesn't come up on that website? Can you check it?
yip cannot find it either i have had mine 2 yrs so mabe gone its branded ted baker had a look on ebay uk none try us site it is a 3400 mah lithium battery i swear by it plenty of simmilar on ebay

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
type into ebay portable battery charger in the uk tonns come up and you can recharge them with loads of methods

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
With all respect what good would charging an Iphone off the grid do? You would have to bounce off a tower to communicate anyway so bssically any smart phone keeps you on the grid. Especially Apple's.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

www.amazon.com... one of the first thigns i found on google hope it helps i used to have mroe links but my comp crashed and i lost all my bookmarks but i am looking into going in on www.econvergence.net... with some others of my prepping group for power generation and having the option of running electric wells if shtf in our area

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
if your going "off the "grid , charging your iphone will be the least of your concerns '
You wont have any connectivity for starters and chopping firewood so you can have a hot shower will take up a lot of time.In time you will wonder why the hell you ever needed it.

XL5

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Dayve, you must be trolling if you think that app will allow your phone to charge in the sun. Unless it states on the box your phone came in that the lcd screen has a solar cell/panel in it, leaving it in a hot car in the dark will do the same thing.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Why would you want to charge your iPhone' off grid'? If it's for cost reasons, it really doesn't cost that much to charge compared to other electronics in your house so you would be better off switching off the TV or using candles instead of lamps. If it's because you don't want to rely on third party corporations to give you the services you 'need' then ditch the iPhone. You didn't need it 20 years ago so why do you need it now? There are still land lines.

As for an answer to the question regardless, I'm going with in-car charger or Solar.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The cost of charging it 'on grid' is miniscule. If your out camping or don't have access to a socket, then your limited to solar, car, diesel/petrol generator or a battery pack.

If you drive, then a car charger is obviously your best bet. If not, then you will be best with a small solar panel + a couple of battery packs. When your available, charge your phone on the charger, when you need the phone, then charge the battery packs. If you purchase the dual port charger, then you can charge both at the same time. Cycle between the phone& battery + additional power packs so you will always have power for your phone.

If it's for security reasons, then don't use a phone (especially a smartphone) because it can easily be tracked.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

This method works from time to time but if its the dead of winter solar power all the way baby

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This company is doing some interesting things with thermo electric generation, making electricity from waste heat from a hot cup or a camping stove or similar. Not sure if they are actually for sale yet but it looks interesting

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I CANT BELIEVE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THIS!! POWERPOT!!!

The PowerPot

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

So how can it be done???

If you charge it you get placed on grid from GPS being active?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I think it would be better to reconfigure cell phone tower antennas to form a way to communicate, somehow.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

to be blunt :

WHY ?

the iphone is almost utterly dependent on ` grid ` services - without them its a very poor data storage device

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Tanulis

the powerpot looks nice

but i think this one's more compact portable

biolitestove.com...

edit on 5-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed pic

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Why are you trying to charge your Iphone in a Off grid scenario? you do know your not going to be making any phone calls if the grid is down right.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I use an iphone cover from MOPHIE and have done since the first iphone4 came out. Its really handy for giving the phone an extra boost when it runs down and you are no where near where you can charge it. Also have one for an iphone 3gs as well. Protects the phone in case it is dropped as well etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Tanulis

the powerpot looks nice

but i think this one's more compact portable

biolitestove.com...

edit on 5-9-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: fixed pic

I was trying to find my saved website for this product and then noticed that Derepent beat me to it. I am thinking of buying one of these for camping - cook breakfast and charge your devices at the same time. It looks like it would be small and lightweight too. Still, a car charger is probably quicker as well as the local Starbucks or other coffee shop. I really don't see why you couldn't do something like that or what your big mystery is. If you are thinking of a SHTF scenario, I would think cell towers wouldn't be working anyway so your cell phone would be worthless except for playing games.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I work for a "specialty" company who works with hand in hand with _____. One of the products currently being tested is a shake battery. Works exactly the same as the shake flashlights, magnet passes through a metal coil which, when you shake, "induces" voltage in the coil generating electricity except the coil has been switched out with liquid metal. Pretty cool stuff coming the line

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join