It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I recharge my iphone off grid???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me how can I recharge my iphone off grid?

As for solar panels and devices it seems like most are crap. And even the reasonably working ones have to be in direct intense sunlight for like 8-12 hrs to charge. So I'm not totally sold on any solar ideas. But if you know of something else can you post it in here so we can all take a look at it and see if it's something worth buying?

And none of these do it yourself, radio shack stuff as most of us don't know electronics to that level.

So how can it be done???

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Build a wind farm? I'm not sure what answers you're expecting, solar power is the most practical.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
lay it in the sun

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
you can get pull chargers or wind up crank ones they will always work no matter where for a few bucks or a small portable battery like i got you can just stick it in your pocket will keep for ages charges of usb socket

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
i think solar power is the only thing to do. I got a solar charging app on my phone when the light hits the screen it charges.... It works but you have to let it sit for like 3 hours.... worthless

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Solar trickle chargers are the best way to go.

However, barring wanting to use one. I went for a period of nearly a year, 4 years back, when I was broke and couldn't afford electricity - during the early stages of my disability. During that period I would visit my local Waffle House every evening and charge my phone and laptop from their outlets as I ate or drank coffee. Of course I asked permission from both staff and manager before I did this. They were kind and allowed it.

If you're wanting to go totally off the grid and avoid charging from any outlets? Generators and solar are all I can think of.

Hope this helps.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I suggest something along these general lines....

AA to USB Charging Unit

and then grab a couple of the Solar/camping battery charging units of your choice. They're cheap these days and if you keep a number of AA's charging at once, you'll be rotating them at a rate that should always have a set charged to drop in your aux power there.

There ya go. Unlimited and perpetual power for your Iphone without the direct Solar -> charge ones that do take forever and make you wish for very insanely long extension cords sometimes.

edit on 4-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

*that is the company site, not a sale site. From the retailers they list, Newegg would be the one I use frequently and have never had a problem with. Newegg's page for these also has suggested products at the bottom which do about the same for powering an Iphone or recharge w/o A/C or vehicle power.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If it's not a hoax
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

edit on 4-9-2012 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I have a usb charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket in the car. Works perfectly and it doesn't cost me anything extra, i.e there's no noticeable impact on fuel usage(I'm on the road 90mins a day).

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
If it's not a hoax
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If it were real it would be slower than a solar panel.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
www.proporta.com model mups-d6 thats the one i use 5x half inch and recharge of anything plus you can use a telephone socket for 5v check it out on youtube
edit on 5/9/12 by geobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
cigarette lighter, solar panel, starbucks there are alot more ways if you just think about it.
Second line reserved for witty banter about fish sticks and masculinity.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Get an altenator off a car, and a caf battery, then get a voltage converter. You can rig up the alternator to almost anything to power it, and charge the car battery, which will power the voltage converter, which will turn it into household current, useable for chargers, tvs, radios etc.

They make many solar cells that are made specifically for charging 12 volt automotive batteries, these are a great trickle charge method.

Also a bicycle connected to an alternator is one of the most useful ways of powering a car battery, it is quiet, effective, and never runs out of gas.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Get a USB or cigarette lighter charger, whichever your car takes.

solar.smps.us...
edit on 5-9-2012 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I suppose one could remove the battery pack and hard-wire some AAA batteries that equal required voltage? Add an extra AAA for the juice to flow into iphone battery pack (out of phone)?

With a diode, you could charge your phone one AAA at a time, trickle-charge.
I wouldn't try it if one doesn't have or know how to use a multi-meter though.

If one can do this, they should find an interest in Earth batteries.
That's how to do it if one's so inclined.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
www.proporta.com model mups-d6 thats the one i use 5x half inch and recharge of anything plus you can use a telephone socket for 5v check it out on youtube
edit on 5/9/12 by geobro because: (no reason given)

sounds like a reasonablly good idea. I heard for black out emergencies this is a good idea. But your item doesn't come up on that website? Can you check it?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Never pass up a chance to bash Apple so.....

If your had any other phone on the market, you could buy an extra battery. I had two batteries for my HTC and a charger that could charge the phone and also another battery at the same time.

I'd charge my phone at work every day and have more than enough battery life to make it til the next day.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the cheapest way is to stay on the grid, unless you're going to "steal" someone else's energy.
OR, that you happen to own a waterfall or some other good sources of energy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join