It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School. My son is Failing some subjects. Should I worry?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Honestly I'd say don't even worry about it. Middle/high school is useless. I did not learn 1 single useful thing there. I failed a bunch of classes due to doing no homework whatsoever. I would sometimes even just write in nonsense answers on tests and turn them in one minute after getting them because the whole place was a joke to me. I didn't even finish high school and it had no impact on my life whatsoever.
I got my GED and after a few years I started college. Now, when it actually matters, I'm getting all A's and B's without even trying and was invited into an honor society that has included some very accomplished people. I can take my future in any direction I want. Nobody is going to care about what I did or did not do in high school.

Again, high school is useless. Don't worry about it at all.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
reply to post by Pedro4077

There are MANY applications for such formulas. My father, my brother, my uncle and my brother-in-law are all pipe fitters. Guess what? They use these formulas DAILY.

Sorta sounds like you are trying to justify your child's laziness...dont get me wrong, there are many reasons why kids lose interest in school, and school is certainly not a perfect science. But to shrug off things as important as simple geometry is not the way to go.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link
edit on Tue Sep 4 2012 by Jbird because: replaced large quote with 'Reply To'

Sounds like dad doesn't understand these concepts, and sees no reason for anyone else to understand them. But I bet he can explain the everyday importance of the knowledge he has collected while working. By pointing out that the information is "useless" to his son, he justifies his son's refusal to learn the information. And he doesn't ever have to risk that his son will outshine his own knowledge base.

This thread has done so much in explaining where the US is right now, academically. They aren't all failing because they refuse to be indoctrinated...this is one of myriad reasons.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It sounds like your mind is already made up, so why ask? Your son likely reflects your values, which apparently include a view that knowledge is useless unless it helps you to get a paycheck. Your own writing reflects this as well, riddled as it is with spelling mistakes (not typos), poor grammar and randomly capitalized words.

I'd certainly argue what knowledge he learns (knowledge = facts + understanding) defines what kinds of work can earn him a paycheck. Your call, do you want him as limited as you are or do you want his possibilities broader?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

What is your son's age, and do you know his learning style?

Does he prefer to learn visualy, or to listen, or to do hands-on projects? Does he require a lot of motor movement (kinesthetics)? Determining how he learns best is something his teacher needs to know. That way she can best target his learning style. If you google "multiple intelligence theory" you will find several surveys that will help you determine the learning style.

Next, you are right that life rarely requires you to know about Genghis Khan and isosceles triangles. But memorizing these facts are only the most rudimentary forms of education. The real meat of the matter, can he USE that information? In other words, the goal is to create critical thinking skills.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
It sounds like your mind is already made up, so why ask? Your son likely reflects your values, which apparently include a view that knowledge is useless unless it helps you to get a paycheck. Your own writing reflects this as well, riddled as it is with spelling mistakes (not typos), poor grammar and randomly capitalized words.

I'd certainly argue what knowledge he learns (knowledge = facts + understanding) defines what kinds of work can earn him a paycheck. Your call, do you want him as limited as you are or do you want his possibilities broader?

Are you in Australia? One thing that we do have here is a very good education system whether it is school, tafe, university or any other.. Even dole bludgers are made to do short courses to improve their work prospects and meet the governments criteria. When we want to become qualified in a trade, we must do trade school which pretty much goes through the same things you would learn at school. Maths is a big part of it along with the hands on training.

If his son learns a trade, he will be qualified in 4 years at what he has chosen and can then start his own business if he chooses. The odds are most students will end up in those middle class jobs anyway so why not get a head start on everyone else? by the time he is 20, he will be earning award wage in his trade and also building confidence to build his own business also.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
No,he does`n`t need to know any of that stuff to be a french fry maker at McDonalds or a thug working for the local crack dealer.

everything the schools teach isn`t meant to be vital info that you will need in everyday life.they teach many different things to broaden you`re general knowledge and just maybe you will find something that sparks your interest.
maybe learning about Genghis khan will spark one students curiosity and they will go on to become an archeologist and discover the crashed alien mothership that brought us here to earth millions of years ago.

edit on 5-9-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

is this post a joke? I often wonder if some of these posts are put up by shills or something to start useless conversations.

First off.. to assume that knowledge is useless is stupid!

If your son is bored in school, if he is failing, when understand WHY. Most schooling is designed to dumb down students. They no longer teach kids HOW to think, but just give them random facts that are not placed in the context of anything else. If you or your child is confused then the school has succeeded.

Schools genereally do not want you to ever find knowledge useful.

They teach you some stuff, make you take a test and then plug you all into a "job" that you may stay in anywhere for 1 -10 years (if that).

But the true skills of living and existing on this planet requires much more profound knowledge.

I would suggest starting going back to THE TRIVIUM. (Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric) and then onto the QUADRIVIUM (Arithmatic, Astronomy, music and geometry)

These 7 subjects made up the Classical Liberal education.

There is some wonderful resources out there. Knowledge should be fun. Your child should have a DESIRE to want to understand the world around them and continue to learn. If you think that all one should know is how to get a job and pass a job interview wow.. then you are a sheep and I feel for your child.

I didn't do well in school... they said I would never succeed (and I went to private schools) yet I am currently continuing to learn and teach myself and reteach myself various subjects.

Here is a good link to start.

www.triviumeducation.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
nah dont worry SHTF soon

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Don't be so sensible, don't you know that school is designed to condition kids. We must learn to idolize powerful people that lived. We must study the angles of triangles so we don't understand that there is more to shapes than numbers. We must steer our kids from reason and teach them what the government thinks is appropriate. The job of school is to tame the spirit so we don't challenge the way it is. Maybe your broken now that you are more aware. Shame on you for discovering what even many teachers do not know. You need to go out to a bar and get drunk so the hangover will keep you from thinking for a week or get a prescription for prozac to dumb you down..

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Given what you are training your son to be, I am absolutely shocked that you don't feel geometry is at all helpful. Honestly, if you were pouring concrete for my house, how would you accomplish it without ruining the rest of the yard?

Let's see... I've got a corner I need filled in. Three feet on one side, and four feet on the other. How long is the runner for the third side so you don't destroy my wife's flower garden?

According to what you have stated, this is useless knowledge... and you are supposed to be a professional. Why would I trust you to do the job that you stated you don't know how to do?

Geometry specifically is used every day in construction work.

The history question I can't really answer.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I'm a builder. I used the three four five right triangle all the time. Hardly ever used anything else I learned in geometry though, I could have been taught about the 3-4-5 right triangle the day I started working. Ninety percent of what I learned in highschool I never used except when watching jeopardy and other game shows or playing trivia. I have learned many professions. Even my superior math skills were useless when the calculator came out.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Fair enough, although that was aimed at the OP. Let the OP answer this one:

If I want to make the concrete 1 foot deep, how much cubic feet do you need to mix to minimize waste?

He specifically stated that caculating the area of a triangle was useless in his job.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
all math is critical.
all of it.

the area of a triangle may be necessary in many careers.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Only if its Maths, English or one of the Science's.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I can nudge the History question:

Those who cannot remember history are doomed to repeat it.

It also will display a repeated history of wealth, domination of those deemed as "Other's", and the destruction of their histories. Rewritten by the conquering foe.

Trace Oz's history back... Unless you're pure Abo, you can find European roots or more.

As far as I know, since there are no written aboriginal histories, that social group has very limited and mostly oral history.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Three feet times four feet is 12 feet times one foot deep is 12 cubic feet. This size is capable of supporting a masonary chimney. if you are going to mix it yourself it will take approximately twenty four bags of 60 lb readymix at about three fifty a bag plus tax. Ready mix is usually four bag mix. A footing should have rerod in it so a stick of rerod or any long metal should also be acquired. If you are going to figure ordering it ready mixed from the plant it will be about a half of a yard or about fifty bucks plus a small load delivery charge of about fifty bucks plus tax. Did you get zoning approval for this project? not all things need a permit but most things need zoning approval. That's another twenty bucks. anything else you need to know?

Not much of this I learned in school except basic math, I learned it from professionals I worked with.
edit on 5-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

That's always a hard one.
Do we need calculus if we are going to be a car mechanic?
Maybe if you're going to be a physicist.

We will never know what the future will bring. But knowing stuff is always a good thing.

Tell him that the more he knows the better he can make future decisions about his life.
Tell him that in the future he might really like being an engineer.
And that he won't know unless he tries to learn this stuff in school.
And that maybe in an emergency his knowledge might save his life or the life of some other person.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You realize you just did a complex math equation and was sarcastic at the same time.

You gave both historic accts (store w/product & knowledge of taxes applicable) as well as this solution in geometric and algebraic terms.

You have officially answered your own question.

Now teach the boy.
edit on 5-9-2012 by SeenAlot because: Corrected poor sentence structure.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
My son will be 15 soon. I have been teaching him to drive, fence, lay concrete, weld ect. He will most likely never be out of work. He has a head start on the others who obsess about perfect grades.

But that's all he'll ever do...labor work, which is fine if that's all he wants. His back and knees will be shot by the time he's 45. A godd brane neverr gos outta stile.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join