ALS,or Lou Gehrigs disease

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just curious if there are any alternative remedies or cures for this terrible disease? I whatched a good friend and co-worker die of it,and it is truly an awful way to go.Unfortunately there are no known cures for it in recognized medicine,so I was wondering whats out there in the alternative health care area. There seems to be quite a bit available for cancer and various other diseases,but ALS seems to be overlooked.
I tell you what,I'd rather have cancer than ALS,because there are some pretty good alternative remedies for cancer while ALS seems to be a death sentence. Is there any hope out there for those who suffer fromthis terrible disease? Hemp,tumeric,anything at all?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I found a website that has some information on supplements combined with speech and physical therapies to help ease the symptoms. If you want to check it out, this is it:
www.naturalnews.com...

I don't know much about the disease and I do not know if the supplement info is sound.

And also this is the first time I've posted a link and I hope I did it properly!

Edited to Add: I'm sorry about your friend/co worker, I'm sure it's very hard watching someone you care about go through that sort of thing.

edit on 4-9-2012 by Miri08 because: condolences.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

It is the most horrible condition - only a few are worse - like locked in syndrome (Brainstem

infarction subtype), and terminal cancer with refractory pain.

I still don't understand why the disease is so mysterious - until i realize

the human brain will remain enigmatic for centuries. Why do only motor

neurons degenerate - and why do a few ALS patients take longer to die than most?

Not to mention the subtypes of ALS - bulbar (can't talk or swallow) being one I've

had the horror to witness in a beautiful 26 yo blond woman who tried to talk to me

before the procedure and couldn't, then became upset by not being able to interact

with another human being.

Can we please stop throwing money at politicians, both foreign and local, and wars

in foreign nations - and concentrate on health care (NIH/ NCI) and space exploration?

We can already sequence the human genome for $4000 per person - so one would

hope in a few years we could roadmap the exact genes and transcripts that go wrong

with ALS. I even thought for a few months I had it - and it was horrifying.

Maybe Europe or Asia will come up with something - don't hold your breath here.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If it is TRUE ALS or Gehrig's disease, there is really nothing that can be done.

Having said that, there are a great many cases popping up now which are not a true form of that disease, but rather an autoimmune response which is attacking the nervous system, most often caused by a nasty little organism called a mycoplasma.

Mycoplasmas which have been running rife through the population and attacking young people between the ages of 10 to 50 are hard to detect, because they have no cell wall and so hide inside regular cells. Depending on what they attack, they can cause everything from Rheumatoid Arthritis to FIbromyalgia to Parkinson's to ALS to MS and everything in between.

The first thing to do is to confirm whether the disease is true ALS, or an autoimmune response to the nasty mycoplasma (which, in my opinion and research, was weaponized with the brucella virus at Ft. Detrick, Maryland and set loose on the population starting back in the 1970s). The only test for this is a type of DNA test which only a few laboratories do. The DNA test will expose the mycoplasma fermentans incognitus.

If it IS the dreaded mycoplasma, there are a few routes to take. The first is to go on long courses of doxycycline for at least a year. The other route is to use herbal antimicrobials, such as Samento, Banderol or Cumanda.

Many people who thought their lives were over found out that what they had was a nasty bug, courtesy of the US Army, which is treatable once it is identified. It is not an easy bug to kill, but with patience and determination, it can be done. There is a world of difference between infection and a sudden neurodegenerative illness of unknown etiology.

I think everybody who ends up diagnosed with a life-altering illness (for me, it was Rheumatoid Arthritis) needs to find out what is causing their disease. There are just too many cases of autoimmune disorders running rampant through our world, which just "came out of the blue" (yeah, RIGHT). Determine the source of the disease, and then the course of treatment will become clear.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
ALS is one of the most terrible diseases that an individual and their family can face. My wife's father lasted just over a year while we sat by and watched this disease ravage his body. I pray this disease can be conquered someday soon.

During his short time after diagnosis, he attended a clinic in Houston, Texas.
MDA/ALS Center, Methodist Neurological Institute

They helped him in so many ways. His doctor's in Midland, TX where he lived, were amazed at some of the things he was able to do, when he shouldn't have been able to. Just to get to the clinic, he had to endure a 10 hour drive, which is no easy feat.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend, and the losses of all families at the hands of this disease.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yes...there is no cure and really no or little treatment (that I have found yet) other than supportive for typical ALS...

BUT

Look at the news last week...

Neuralstem Completes Phase I ALS Stem Cell Trial

ROCKVILLE, Md., Aug. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Neuralstem, Inc. (NYSE MKT: CUR) announced the completion of the Phase I trial of its NSI-566 spinal cord neural stem cells for the treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease), with the eighteenth patient treated. This patient, the third to return to the trial for an additional set of injections, is also the last in the Phase I portion of the trial as it is currently designed, which is scheduled to conclude six months after this final surgery.

Results appear very encouraging...even though it's early.

"We have found the procedure to be extremely safe," said Eva Feldman, MD, PhD, Director of the A. Alfred Taubman Medical Research Institute and Director of Research of the ALS Clinic at the University of Michigan Health System. "In some patients, it appears that the disease is no longer progressing, but it is too early to know if the result from that small number of patients is meaningful." Dr. Feldman is the principal investigator (PI) of the trial and an unpaid consultant to Neuralstem.

Source

Thanks for the thread OP. Anyone with additional information on this? I will continue to follow this thread and appreciate the above responses...more than you know.

Peace
edit on 4-9-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Man,I hope that research turns into something useful. If it does, hopefully it is available before 2050 or something stupid like that. I've always wondered why so many new treatments are always slated to be available in about 10 years. I understand testing needs to be done,but these people are dying,doesn't it make sense to at least try something than to do nothing? We know what happens if you do nothing-DEATH.So,if they will sign a waiver,let them try these treatmetns.Maybe it helps them,maybe not,either way valuable knowledge is gained and at least you can say you tried.

Really,who here among us would say,upon being diagnosed with ALS"No,I'd rather not try a new and unproven treatment,I'll take my chance with 100% certain death".

I really wish sometimes the government would stop trying to to protect us from ourselves. If a treatment has even a chance of success,why not let people try it if they choose?

I watched my friend suffer from this for about a year before he died. I carried a lifetime collection of woodworking tools and projects out of his basement workshop while he sat in a recliner in the living room,unable to move as he watched through the picture _I never want to have to do something like that again.

I honestly don't know if I'd have it in me to go through a disease like that. He lost use of one arm first,then the other,and then his back muscles.It was quickly downhill from there. I don't know that I wouldn't take the easy way out once I started to lose control.I simply cannot imagine just waiting for the inevitable to happen,unable to move,talk,clean myself etc. I wouldn't be able to let my wife take care of me like that either. Damn,I hate that disease!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

Stephen Hawking has had the disease for decades. I have no idea what sort of treatment he's getting or has tried, but it may be that he's on to something. You might try researching what treatments Hawking is getting. They must be doing something right.

new topics
top topics

join