It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The moons lack of rotation.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I was hoping that the tides reference would make it obvious that the bulge occurs on both sides. "In the direction of the large mass" is code for "along the axis between the large mass and small mass."

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
I like it how the two people who mentioned Tesla are also dead wrong about the Moon not rotating. Stop chasing conspiracies and coverups, and learn some basic celestial mechanics. The Moon does rotate.

people who mentioned Tesla are also dead wrong about the Moon not rotating

I just referred to Tesla's magazine articles.
Tesla says no Moon rotation.
So write your own magazine article so we can all take a look.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by CLPrime

When you have a small mass (like the Moon) orbiting a large mass (like the Earth) at a sufficiently close distance, the gravitational pull of the large mass causes the small mass to bulge in the direction of the large mass.

The bulge actually occurs on two sides of the object; the side near and the side opposite the other body. That's why there are two high tides each day. The reason being the gravity gradient across the diameter of the body. Same result. I just thought I would confuse things by throwing that in there but that double bulge does cause a greater torque than a single one would have.

It should also be noted that it is both bodies which experience the effect. The Earth is still in the process of becoming tidally locked with the Moon.

Yup! And if the moon had water on it, it would experience high and low tides due to the earth just like the earth does due to the moon

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by assspeaker

I don't know what answer you refer to. (don't play games with me)
I do not agree with tidal lock or gravity as the total cause, and I am prepaired for an intellegent debate.
Gravity is responsible for orbit, and as I said if the moon had a heavy side, gravity, and inertia would both factor.
If you think tidal lock is the answer, please explain the physics to me, as it would not affect the moons lack of rotation in respect to the earth.

Please enlighten me!

Nobody is playing games with you, what an odd thing to say.....

The answer he refers to is that the reason the moon appears to lack any rotation relative to the Earth is because it's tidally locked. It's an incredibly simple concept that has nothing to do with magnetism.

It's impossible to have an intelligent debate about this, because there is no debate. No more than it's possible to have an intelligent debate about which is bigger, a flea or an Elephant.

As far as the people that brought up all the "suspicious" things about the Moon, the Moon doesn't exhibit anything unique other than the fact that it's SIMILAR in size to the sun, when viewed from Earth. Although, anyone that knows anything about such things also knows that in the past the Moon was much larger in apparent size, and in the future it will be much smaller. Which means that there is no significance to the idea that the Sun and Moon appear to be similar in size when viewed from Earth, Even less significant when you realize that many other moons exhibited this same feature at one point in time, your just luck enough to be alive right now on this planet during the period where their sizes appear similar.

So no, there is nothing significant about the Moon and Sun's sizes appearing similar, unless you think the Universe revolves around you personally, so that the apparent size of the sun and moon is only important during your lifetime (when they appear similar) and not important in the past or future, when the sizes didn't/won't appear similar at all.

edit on 7-9-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

OK, that one definitely puts our minor debate about sidreal vs synodic periods in perspective

dang, that's just scary and SAD!

Nothing like having an intelligent adult conversation with someone and having somebody jump in talking about flying spagetti monsters and wanting to be taken seriously

I say everyone with an IQ over 110 abandon ship before it rubs off on all of us!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by youwillneverknow
Can anyone tell me why the moon doesnt rotate?

Because the ones who put it there don't want you to see what's on the other side. It is known.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The tides are due to oceans sloshing around the Earth which I assume
does have rotational energy. The Moon and Earth rotate about an axis
about 2,000 miles off the Earth's center.

Again the Moon itself has no rotational energy and would react as such
in any hypothetical situation.

The Moon capture does make you wonder if the Moon came from the Earth
early on in unrecorded history.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Originally posted by assspeaker

I don't know what answer you refer to. (don't play games with me)
I do not agree with tidal lock or gravity as the total cause, and I am prepaired for an intellegent debate.
Gravity is responsible for orbit, and as I said if the moon had a heavy side, gravity, and inertia would both factor.
If you think tidal lock is the answer, please explain the physics to me, as it would not affect the moons lack of rotation in respect to the earth.

Please enlighten me!

Nobody is playing games with you, what an odd thing to say.....

The answer he refers to is that the reason the moon appears to lack any rotation relative to the Earth is because it's tidally locked. It's an incredibly simple concept that has nothing to do with magnetism.

It's impossible to have an intelligent debate about this, because there is no debate. No more than it's possible to have an intelligent debate about which is bigger, a flea or an Elephant.

As far as the people that brought up all the "suspicious" things about the Moon, the Moon doesn't exhibit anything unique other than the fact that it's SIMILAR in size to the sun, when viewed from Earth. Although, anyone that knows anything about such things also knows that in the past the Moon was much larger in apparent size, and in the future it will be much smaller. Which means that there is no significance to the idea that the Sun and Moon appear to be similar in size when viewed from Earth, Even less significant when you realize that many other moons exhibited this same feature at one point in time, your just luck enough to be alive right now on this planet during the period where their sizes appear similar.

So no, there is nothing significant about the Moon and Sun's sizes appearing similar, unless you think the Universe revolves around you personally, so that the apparent size of the sun and moon is only important during your lifetime (when they appear similar) and not important in the past or future, when the sizes didn't/won't appear similar at all.

edit on 7-9-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

Very good answer

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
does have rotational energy. The Moon and Earth rotate about an axis
about 2,000 miles off the Earth's center.

Again the Moon itself has no rotational energy and would react as such
in any hypothetical situation.

The Moon capture does make you wonder if the Moon came from the Earth
early on in unrecorded history.

shew.... I sure needed a good laugh!!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

does have rotational energy..

Tides are from the sloshing water. That's what you are going to go with?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

does have rotational energy..

Tides are from the sloshing water. That's what you are going to go with?

sloshing water and flying spagetti monsters!!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

A solid theory if I've ever heard one.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

does have rotational energy....

So how do you explain that the high tides matches with lunar zenith (when the moon is directly overhead) or lunar nadir (or "anti-zenith", when the moon is "directly beneath" the observe on the opposite side of the Earth)? You wont get a high tide if the Moon is not at Zenith or Nadir (anti-zenith).

Tides are regular and predictable, and those predictions for any location can be made by knowing where the Moon is in relation to that location. You would think that if it was caused by water sloshing around due to a rotating earth that it wouldn't be so predictable, nor would those predictions be so tied to the Moon.

How do you explain this correlation between the Moon's zenith and high tides, if the moon doesn't cause the tides?

edit on 9/7/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimitiveWorld

Is the author of that book the same Christopher Knight that was on The Brady Bunch?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It's stuck, has been for a very long time. NASA tried crashing a rocket into it to try to get it started but that mission failed miserably. They went up there in the sixties to try to flip what looked like a lightswitch but that didn't work either. I think they found another thing that looks like a switch but the little rovers can't turn it. Maybe it's worn out, nobody greased or oiled the thing for a couple million years now, that's when the aliens came here and started a big colony.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

thank you,

I never did a web search about tidal friction or lock prior to you response.
I always thought our moon was unique in this way, however I just learned this is the norm.

Thanks again.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Crazy idea!
if the same part of the moon is pointing to earth all the time.
Could you build a big space station and put a space elevator to it?

and if you build a second space station and have a space elevator to that.
you would only need a short flight form one space station to the second!
something to build in the future.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by CLPrime

When you have a small mass (like the Moon) orbiting a large mass (like the Earth) at a sufficiently close distance, the gravitational pull of the large mass causes the small mass to bulge in the direction of the large mass.

The bulge actually occurs on two sides of the object; the side near and the side opposite the other body. That's why there are two high tides each day. The reason being the gravity gradient across the diameter of the body. Same result. I just thought I would confuse things by throwing that in there but that double bulge does cause a greater torque than a single one would have.

It should also be noted that it is both bodies which experience the effect. The Earth is still in the process of becoming tidally locked with the Moon.

Yup! And if the moon had water on it, it would experience high and low tides due to the earth just like the earth does due to the moon

If I can, I'd like to weigh in here Shellie to provide some specifics about tidal influences other than the Moon - the following is an excerpt from my Uni Thesis regarding pilotage in Australian Waters:-

Tides come about because the ocean's waters are mobile (plastic) & are able to respond to the changing tidal generating forces exerted between the earth, Moon & SUN in their orbits.

These forces vary with time because of the changing relative positions of the earth and Moon during the 29-day lunar cycle and the annual cycle of the relative positions of the earth and Sun.

The PRIMARY tidal influence is the Moon - the forces between her & the earth produce an Elliptical envelope with its long axis pointing towards the Moon. Since the earth is spinning (once/24hrs), the high waters so produced and their intervening lows are progressively moving around the earth to produce a Semi-Diurnal (half daily) tidal pattern involving 2 highs and 2 lows each day.

Since the Moon is orbiting the earth each lunar month, it will have moved eastwards about 13 degrees of it's orbit each day. This causes the semi-diurnal tide pattern to repeat itself every 24hrs and 52mins (a lunar day). The net effect is that the tide times move back about an hour a day here on this rock. The latitude on the Earth that the moon is overhead varies about 25 degrees either side of the equator during the lunar month. Because of this resultant shift in the plane of the moon's influence, there is generally an inequality in the 2 highs and 2 lows each day.

Only when the moon is overhead the equator will the highs be equal (and lows be equal) - this happens about once every fortnight. The SUN also exerts similar influences on the tide pattern in similar ways, but to a lesser extent than the moon and over 365-day cycle rather than every lunar month. In theory, the tide that is experienced is a result of the interaction of the Moon's and the Sun's elliptical envelopes.

OTHER TIDAL INFLUENCES:
1. The continents disrupt the free movement and at depths, shapes and current flows in each tidal basin (Pacific ocean for instance) modify the response. These changes can be extreme such that the expected semi-diurnal patterns become only one high and one low each day (diurnal) - Karumba in the Gulf of Carpentaria and Koolan/Cockatoo Islands are prime examples. Again the rises and falls don't occur simultaneously over the surface of the ocean basin but seem to radiate outwards and/or rotate around each basin.

2.Strong and prolonged winds - the effect of wind on tidal heights & times is variable and is, in turn, modified by the coastal topography. In general, it can be said that a strong "onshore" breeze will "pile-up" the water and cause higher tides than predicted; "offshore" breezes will have the opposite effect.

3. Unusually high or low barometric pressures. Low pressure systems tend to raise sea levels - sometimes by more than 2 meters in intense cyclones and high-pressure systems tend to lower them.

Knowing the exact nature of tides is fundamental to my job - especially when navigating deep-draft vessels in Northern Australia. Also being aware of anticipated weather conditions and having an understanding of local area knowledge is vital as well because even though tidal calculations can be faultless in paper - reality is a much more relentless beast. Deep draft v's shallow water is every navigators nightmare - if we get it wrong - it make the news!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Due to the off axis conjoined rotation of Earth and Moon we have the tides which
is due to rotational energy of Earth and nothing to do with gravity or energy from the moon.

So weak are you people.
ED; Yes lets have the origin of these tidal calculations.
These ATS people are up to it.
Ed+: interested in anything from these brainiacs cause spaghetti is not an answer
Ed++: as observational fact any one can see the Moon does not rotate being
locked to Earth's rotational energy or at least told the Moon's side never changes
should get the hint there is no Moon rotation.

edit on 9/8/2012 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Spend....spend.....spend You sound like the government. One side wants to give the money to business, the other side wants to give it to the people. Why can't they just hold onto the money and pay some bills?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join