It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier hit in chest with a mallet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What the ______ is wrong with people????????

This sergeant allowed himself to be hit in the chest with a wooden mallet. It is believed to be a hazing incident which caused this soldier to collapse. He needed 6 staples to close the wound.

Gawd, why are people so STUPID!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Gawd, why are people so STUPID!!!

From an animalistic point of view it would seem that it's part of our instinct.

All smart people learn from stupid action. Like a modern day evolutionary trial and error system.

Send the idiot through first! Ok, now do the opposite!

from another aspect, it could be something to do with fitting in with the collective.
Stupid is as stupid does. The collective can be quite stupid, thus...
edit on 4-9-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
My God. This is a moment where stupid is so profound as to defy words.

It really is.

Now..someone tell me they aren't leaving him with the stripes of a Sergeant. Whatever qualities of leadership and superior judgement they THOUGHT he had, to earn that rank seem to have been proven wrong in the time it took to swing that.

S/F because without seeing it...I wouldn't have believed it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
dumb, dumber and dumbest.
video tile should be be: im Daryl and this is my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl.
wow... talk about natural selection

Love and harmony
Whateva

CX

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
One of many stupid initiation ceremonies i have seen in the army.

As they say, military intelligence is a contradiction in terms at times.

I was talking to an ex parachute regiment guy the other day who was trying to impress his missus, he said that his unit was so hard, at the local pub they used to put their testicles in the pool table pocket and see who could take the most hits with a pool ball.

Then he had the nerve to ask me why i wanted to join anything but his unit!

My head really hurts after reading these kind of posts.

CX.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I saw that the other day and consider it unacceptable. It's a moderate example of hazing in the Army, and this guy was just promoted to Sgt, hence the haze.

It's common practice in the Army for anyone getting promoted to march down between two ranks of outranking soldiers and receive punches to the chest by all as they march through (in my old unit, anyway). I've personally seen a few guys almost not make it through one of these "congratulatory" sessions on their feet.

I always thought it was completely stupid, and that the Army should crack down on this primitive practice.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

I think you're describing 'blood rank', when you get promoted, they put on your new rank, without the pin backs, and everyone in your squad/platoon/company walks by you, and punches your rank into your chest. I had it done, hurts a little but it's no big deal, it bonds you and your squaddies, ESP when they all do it too.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Your right its absolutely stupid and should be stopped.
Hundreds and thousands of dollars go into the training and schooling to build a soldier, id be pretty pissed off seeing my money and time and being treated like this.

what a waste

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Oh Hommer that's bull crap, mates pick you up when your down, they drag you out of blood and guts, they dont put you in it and they don't puncture you.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Aye, though when I entered, they had just switched over to the ACU uniform with velcro patches, so there were no pins involved.

The Infantry/Combat Action Badge, however, is still a pinned item... And those that receive that get the same treatment.

I'd always throw the softest punch when it came my turn. Quite frankly I didn't agree with it then, either, and thought handshakes would have been sufficient...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
dumb, dumber and dumbest.
video tile should be be: im Daryl and this is my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl.
wow... talk about natural selection

Love and harmony
Whateva

I am in love with you for the above quote alone!!! "Hi. I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl, this is my other brother Daryl..."
Newhart memories came flooding back.

To OP...This could have gone much worse. That blow to his chest could have easily stopped his heart if it had been done at the precise moment with enough force. It escapes me why people still seem to have animalistic tendencies that they can't control for some reason. I am glad it all turned out as well as it did, but stories like this always make me wonder how far we have really evolved.
edit on 9/4/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Those guys are just plain flat out retarded. Thats not a pridefull initiation; that's stupidity. When I became an NCO in the Marine Corps they come around and slap your chevrons into your collar with no backings but to do it with a mallet like that is again retarded. We also would get our 'bloodstripe instilled into us by our fellow NCOs kneeing us in the legs up and down where we wear our bloodstripe but that has been going on for years and nobody ever truly hurt anyone.

For us it was a right of passage not hazing. I wouldn't even call this hazing. This is some Army boys with too much time on their hands and not enough of an IQ combined to account for the spare time. I hope this ends their careers because those certainly were not good leadership skills being displayed by these soldiers. Did they not think they might crack that skinny boys ribs? or bust his sturnum and puncture a lung. Also they just stood there and watched while he collapsed to the floor. Wouldn't want to be in a firefight with those guys.

That's why I joined the Marines. Yes there are some painfull initiations that take place, but we know what is crosing the line and what is not. And those who stray from the line are punished severely in the Corps.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This certainly puts the person in contention for a Darwin award. LOL some people are just so stupid and or easily impressionable. I just don't get it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

should have been an axe
STUPIDITY

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Marine Corps hazing is absolutely brutal and inhumane, I saw (and experienced) what they did from promotions to getting bloodstripes or jumpwings. I have no idea what unearthly punishments they have now since the advent of these new wars.

Holy crap...those guys think they're f***ing Spartans.

I got my jaw unhinged for the rank of PFC...and I'm a chick.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
He chose to do it......his problem.
You get what you ask for and what you agree to. (why does the T&C of this site come to mind?)
Don't tread on me with political correctness....I have had enough.

If i chose to play Russian roulette you would think the same.

He chose it...his problem,not mine.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, I understand the tradition of pinning or punching rank on. However each service has their ways of doing it. Kinda like the blood-in/blood-out of a street gang and with similar thinking behind it, when one stops to consider the whole thing.

This wasn't blood-in though. If that had been an Iraqi Detainee standing there, we'd rightly be calling for the pile driver there to be facing attempted murder charges. Thats stupid on steroids..and like I said, the new Sergeant should be E1 private for a few more years to learn how to prevent self inflicted darwin awards. God help his men some day with that kind of judgement.

What's next though guys? For those who would find anything remotely excusable about THIS extreme? Hell, the Marine Corps is returning to the .45 Auto, God Bless their choice in ammunition...FINALLY.

No serious possibility of that round penetrating body armor. It'll just feel a bit worse than THIS did. So, why not just shoot each other in the future? It makes about as much sense....and I'll bet getting shot once in full armor would have been easier for him to have taken in some ways.

Oh... idiots they could make posters about. I swear.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If anyone's ever had a panic attack they'll know what I'm getting at, but that must have been terrifying when he leaned over the desk and realized his lungs and heart just stopped working properly for a minute and that's all it takes to put you down. When we have these attacks we feel it mentally and physically. We wheeze, our heart skips or it goes fast and hard or slow and weak and it makes you think you're dying.

Difference between us and him is that he probably was actually dying. And he couldn't say anything because he didn't want to "disgrace" himself in front of his peers.

But hey, he's fighting for our freedumb.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

To OP...This could have gone much worse. That blow to his chest could have easily stopped his heart if it had been done at the precise moment with enough force. It escapes me why people still seem to have animalistic tendencies that they can't control for some reason. I am glad it all turned out as well as it did, but stories like this always make me wonder how far we have really evolved.
edit on 9/4/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

EXACTLY!!! This is how it should've gone down.

Sergeant: "You're going to hit me in the chest with that mallet?
Other Idiot: "Yup."
Sergeant: BUT MY HEART IS IN MY CHEST YOU MORON! PUT THAT MALLET DOWN!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
He chose to do it......his problem.
You get what you ask for and what you agree to. (why does the T&C of this site come to mind?)
Don't tread on me with political correctness....I have had enough.

If i chose to play Russian roulette you would think the same.

He chose it...his problem,not mine.

No argument there. This soldier is clearly not a leader. He's a follower.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join