It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Testament Fairy Tales

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
In another thread it was suggested that I read the New Testament. Admittedly, it's been years since I've done this, but I used to read it often. Like the religious today, I allowed my eyes to glaze over the utterly ridiculous parts. I don't do that anymore. For instance, the following are considered the wise words of Jesus:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?

If this is such great advice why don't we all just quit our jobs. Let's teach our kids that when they grow up they have no need to save money for the future, no need to spend money on food and clothing. Yep, real super advice.
----------------------------------------
And then there's this from the NT.

Matthew 27: The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Really? I mean, REALLY? And the mature religious adults with an IQ over 80 believe this happened? Come on now.
-------------------------------------
Religion has been an ongoing conspiracy against the masses for thousands of years. Isn't it time to really look at what you're buying into?

edit on 9/4/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

"Don't worry" is bad advice is it?

As to the other, I don't take everything at face value and by word of mouth some things can get slipped in that were based on little more than rumor, but what might be referred to there is an earthquake that occured the day of the cross whereby bodies fell out of tombs, with the bodies alive part added, but spiritually anything's possible.

edit on 4-9-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I've gotten away from the church thank god. What you gotta realize is that most of the die-hard religous have been indoctrinated and raised that way their whole life. They aren't going to challenge their worldviews without a major something happening in their lives to make them change it. That being said I also believe that the teachings of Jesus and his followers were hijacked by the church to further their own agendas. The first quote from the NT there I think Jesus is saying don't worry about the necessities. You will be taken care of. The second I'm not sure. There is wisdom in the bible, but there also alot of mistranslated/misinterpreted words as well. Its all in how you personally interpret it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Thing is, the big 3 of of Jews, Christians, and Muslims are all about controlling and subjecting adherents.

Hinduism, though it has its problems with the caste system, is all and all a better system, plus, it can trace back at least 8000 years with stories that depict events over 16,000 years ago.

Archaeological evidence is currently discovering places discussed in Hinduism that do indeed date back well over 10,000years like the lost city of Dwarka, discussed in Hindu literature as being submerged beneath the sea.

Of course, there's fairy tales in Hinduism, but, they're much cooler than than those in the Jewish, Christian, Islamic faiths.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Killed by a Lion

Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then said he unto him, Because thou hast not obeyed the voice of the LORD, behold, as soon as thou art departed from me, a lion shall slay thee. And as soon as he was departed from him, a lion found him, and slew him.

Kings 20:35-36

That's just Nasty.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by jiggerj

"Don't worry" is bad advice is it?

edit on 4-9-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

You take the 'Don't worry' out of its context. If I remember, Jesus also added something about how the birds and animals are always fed. What he failed to mention was that animals have to work for it. Their necessities are not handed to them. Lions have to hunt. Birds have to build nests. Ever see a bird flying away from a nest, returning with food for the young, flying away, returning... That's a LOT of work!

As to the other, I don't take everything at face value and by word of mouth some things can get slipped in that were based on little more than rumor, but what might be referred to there is an earthquake that occured the day of the cross whereby bodies fell out of tombs, with the bodies alive part added, but spiritually anything's possible.

By saying that you don't take everything at face value (and I don't even know if you're religious), if you are like most Christians, then what I hear you saying is that the part about the saints rising from the dead is probably not true and not believable, but still believe that one man did it - Jesus.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior
reply to post by jiggerj

I've gotten away from the church thank god. What you gotta realize is that most of the die-hard religous have been indoctrinated and raised that way their whole life. They aren't going to challenge their worldviews without a major something happening in their lives to make them change it. That being said I also believe that the teachings of Jesus and his followers were hijacked by the church to further their own agendas. The first quote from the NT there I think Jesus is saying don't worry about the necessities. You will be taken care of. The second I'm not sure. There is wisdom in the bible, but there also alot of mistranslated/misinterpreted words as well. Its all in how you personally interpret it.

Thanks for your reply, CW. Yes, there is a lot of wisdom in the bible, but we don't need the bible for that wisdom. How hard is it for civilized man to understand cooperation? As in, if you don't steal from me, I won't steal from you; you don't sleep with my wife and I won't sleep with your wife.

Let's say that the oldest religious texts can be dated back about 8,000 years. Well, humans have been around for anywhere from 100,000 to 250,000 years. LONG before any biblical teachings. In order for mankind to have survived that long there had to be some kind of cooperation within tribes and between some tribes. They had to have understood that they couldn't go around killing themselves off, stealing from one another, and just all around take take take.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Jesus being obediant to the point of death doesn't mean that he had to actually DIE dead as a doornail to perform the ritual. If you'd like to know more I invite you to comb through the thread linked in my signature.

Why are you still at this, what's your driver or motivator jiigerj?

What if God really did perform a Great Work, and in the process confounded the "learned and the wise" and brought the "power elite" to shame - wouldn't that interest you as a humorous fellow? Wouldn't it be nice if for once a hero fullfilled his destiny the whole way through?

As a bit of a rebel you'd think you'd more of an appreciation for Jesus and what he was all about..

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Christianity, is actual the closest truth to anything and the way back home, but its all metaphors. Christ Yeshua, real/metaphor, or both, (and all religions are complied on made things, altered history, lots and lots of codes, math/science, ufology, the whole bit. On the surface on most is murder and bloodshed and authority and then different than the rest, Christ.

Which is all about, seeking within, activating your pineal and connection to Source, eating healthy, mainly fish and rainbow food. And seeing through the world, making those around you happy, serving others. The greatest would be the servant to all.

The passage you just read is a metaphor. I guess you like to take things fundamentalist value. Unfortunately in most religions when you do that you have the dark path, harm, control, wars, and retaliation.

The passage you just read is directions to see through the world and corruption, to not chase after fame, fortune, promotions, fancy clothes, to not care what your neighbors think.

It doesnt stand alone either, so I am going to link it to other passages, for it forms a complete picture.

To shine your light, to not bury your truth under a bowl, lampshade or veil the truth. But speak, be honest, use your talents to help your loved ones and to help others. (He said to Love your neighbors as yourself, he also said what person, even implying a bad guy, doesnt give their children good things, this isn't from sitting around wasting your gifts if you can use them). None of these things he said are islands, they're actually puzzle pieces and fit together.

Alll metaphor.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by jiggerj

Thing is, the big 3 of of Jews, Christians, and Muslims are all about controlling and subjecting adherents.

Hinduism, though it has its problems with the caste system, is all and all a better system, plus, it can trace back at least 8000 years with stories that depict events over 16,000 years ago.

Archaeological evidence is currently discovering places discussed in Hinduism that do indeed date back well over 10,000years like the lost city of Dwarka, discussed in Hindu literature as being submerged beneath the sea.

Of course, there's fairy tales in Hinduism, but, they're much cooler than than those in the Jewish, Christian, Islamic faiths.

you seriously did not try to elevate Hinduism by saying it has "cooler" fairy tales- kindergarten reasoning, ironically when one considers the fairy tale lampooning

*cringe*

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
And alot of integrity in those metaphors.

Also there is so much more. Such as this: To not throw your pearls before the swine. I've actually heard mystery school guys talk about this as meaning to keep the secrets.

And it means no such things.

Again, he says, to shine your light without a veil on the truth.

But he, like the rest of the cosmos, is sick and tired of martyrs. He was living in the middle east in ancient times, and was a Buddha, to all extents and purposes.

He meant. use discretion and strive to live safely. Try to avoid being targetted. And live with integrity.

When he spoke of a Church or temple, it was the body, our bodies, which are the Temple for the Divine Spirit of Peace and Love and our Light, and it is actually Mammoth to give money to the wealthy worldly Church instead of share with all around you, as the early Christians did.

Getting together should not have been such a costly rich venture. Their's was much more alternative than that.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
What version of the Holy Bible are you quoting from? I always try to use the King James Version, original, since the new versions leave out or change words completely which alters the entire context and content of the meaning.

From the notes at the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE, the verse in Matthew 27:52 isn't what you all think.

Here is a quote from Bible.cc, which states:

And the graves were opened - "Graves" or sepulchres were most commonly made, among the Jews, in solid rocks or in caves of rocks. The rending of the rocks, therefore, would lay them open. The graves were opened by this earthquake, but the dead in them did not rise until after his resurrection.

And many bodies of the saints arose - Of course, it is not known who these were, nor what became of them. It is probable that they were persons who had recently died, and they appear to have been known in Jerusalem; at least, had the ancient saints risen, they would not have been known, and would not so soon have been credited as those who had recently died.

Bible.cc - Matthew 27:52

Always go back to the original versions due to this particular skew. Put's a whole new light on it.

This changes the entire context of what you are referring to doesn't it?

Trek

PS: I know what you are all thinking, about the Tribulation, it's not full of hell-fire and brimstone, it's full of stars and ideologies, some which are "occult." Some not. Just think when a person has to reconcile his views or ideas of how the world is, would be similar to the parable of the field and the pearl, where a man found a pearl and hid it in a field, and sold all he had and bought the field. What this says to me is to test and reprove all ideologies and ethics until you arrive at the perfect one, and yes there are perfect ideologies, just don't split hairs or premisses. Make it practical and work in truth.
edit on 4-9-2012 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
think the OP might be a frustrated fundamnetalist, the Bible was traditionally read in a more metaphorical vein, literalism is a more recent thing

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

But that is a change, and it never meant slept like that and rose. For they already knew that souls didn't slumber in their bodies awaiting the trumpet.

Ecclesiastes 12:6-7

Before the silver cord is loosed, or the golden bowl is broken, or the pitcher is broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

bible.cc...

and many bodies of saints which slept, arose: not that they arose at the time of Christ's death: the graves were opened then, when the earth quaked, and the rocks were rent; but the bodies of the saints did not arise, till after Christ was risen, as appears from the following verse; but because the other event now happened, they are both recorded here: these were saints, and such as slept in Jesus; and of whom he is the first fruits that now rose; and not all, but many of them, as pledges of the future resurrection, and for the confirmation of Christ's, and the accomplishment of a prophecy in Isaiah 26:19. And they rose in the same bodies in which they before lived, otherwise they could not be called their bodies, or known by those to whom they appeared: but who they were is not to be known; some have thought them to be the ancient patriarchs, as Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, &c. In the Septuagint on Job 42:17, Job is said to be one of them, and a tradition is there recorded, which runs thus:

This akin to the Church teaching that only after Christ died upon the cross where souls free to go home. Of course, the essenes and gnostic Christians didn't teach this. Rome and Paul were behind that idea. (which to me shows they have a heavy hand in distorting truth and the bible is altered enormously),

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Okay take it a step further, say do a study of where the saints burial places are and cross-reference with USGS earthquake listings on Google Maps and see if we have a correlation.

Make the theory have some teeth...

Prove it logically....

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

No no Unity, what I am seeing to be the bit of info to notice in that verse, is that those seplechres, or however it's spelled were SHAKEN open due to EQ's or some other movement...anything physical...not they actually were resurrected, cuz the notes say that doesn't happen until later on...

What's important is they were MADE VISIBLE and noticed as a saint's burial place....could be something we have yet to find...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Would it not be ironic if we were to find those graves "shaken open" to be all empty?

Think about it...

Would prove all.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My faith goes beyond resurrection, ascension, that so many rely on and even on becoming "gods". I just have faith in Goodness and Love no matter what, even if everyone here lives to be old and toothless after a long life, and all the doom is ridiculous and we finally get some global justice rounding up the weather control guys and those enslaving billions for profit and wars and disease.

I don't know if I would agree with the metaphor to the saints graves being opened, as there seems to be a lot that is msytery school belief, and they tend to have some really distorted views and don't know much about Souls, and can't seem to remember home. I do. I've had the veil lift quite a few times. We sail in here, reincarnation is real, some people are not reincarnated but from home, many don't fall like here on earth, so you don't need a dark side acting like wolves. God is Goodness, not All that is.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

When I say wisdom, I mean alot more than just the 10 Commandments and the Golden rule in general. Wisdom about people and situations and how you can interact with them, wisdom about how to go about being a better person and truly loving one another and maybe making this world a little better of a place. Maybe someone grew up with horrible parents and was abused and learned the opposite of all this through their life experiences and need some guidance to a better path. I think that most of the real wisdom is written sort of between the lines because the Bible has been so tampered with by men over the years. Men who had an agenda at that. It should'nt be taken literally for that reason alone. I do think the bible is an awesome collection of literary work though.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Same here, you really do have to destroy your ego to do that and remain that way. Perhaps that is indeed the "beast" when you elevate "yourself" to a god-head level? Perhaps this "tribulation" is indeed one of ideologies and perspective. Also ethics and morality, it's a test of character.

I like to use my BOAT analogy here:

We're in a boat that's sinking. We can either sit by the lifeboat, tapping our toes, waiting for it to take us away, totally inwardly thinking. Or, we can go "deck-by-deck" to check and see if there are any trapped people, who otherwise would be left to drown, and save them and all the others too, remember it's a test of character, and a parable, you'll have to look around for that pearl of great price to even visualize the "field" or the "value," if it's a test of character, it's more noble to put others in front of yourself, right? Or we could be that self-absorbed person entitled to wait at the lifeboat, which may or may never be lowered into the water....

It's a test of character....and integrity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join