It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown Rice vs White Rice, WTF?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
My personal answer to all questions of this nature is "The natural option is always preferable to the man made one". Sugar, butter, rice, salt, etc."

I've had very few physical health issues as an adult. I think my diet is a strong part of that. I'm 46 years old and have great heat function, blood pressure, and so on. I take no medications for such issues - though most of my friends of the same age do.

Maybe these things correlate, maybe they don't.

Oh and to the above poster discussing potassium... it's very necessary for proper bioelectric function, including heart and brain. Good stuff that potassium. Like anything else, moderation is key.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Just a side point.
I ate fried rice homemade with brown rice and tuna veges ect continuosly for two years no other food was consumed , imagine my eek reaction when I realised SOY SAUCE the ingredient that I had added to my fried rice feasts is loaded with so much salt it makes the Russians look like amateurs.

SOY SAUCE HAS SO MUCH SALT.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Prefer brown rice taste wise, just takes ages to cook right.
Oh and don't go nuts eating loads of chewed apple pips, we don't want anyone ending up pushing up daisies from cyanide poisoning.

Dark soy sauce is also less saltier than light.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
mix them together.. best of both worlds, too much of one thing is always going to end up bad somehow.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
mmmm...

Brown some fresh (crushed) garlic in some oil in a pan... throw some cut up boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Cook till done then throw in a few sliced fresh jalapenos and some Tiparos fish sauce to taste... cut with water if too salty.

Serve over white jasmine rice...

Ok.. I know what I am having tonight!!

Oh... sorry for the off topic.. just HAD to share one of my favorite meals of all time.

With rice, the main rule is not to buy US rice... it tends to have more arsenic through processing from what I have gathered. Get mine from the "World Store" and prefer the Thailand variety myself.

I never have tried the brown though. Gonna have to give it a shot soon.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
What are you guys talking about, firstly, white rice is stripped from nutrients but gain more nutrients through the "enriched" process. Adding vitamins and nutrients.

my brown rice facts claim that it was lower than white rice in the vitamin department.

The only thing it had was potasium and fiber

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
3/4 cup red rice, 1/4 cup wild rice, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 45 minutes very lowest simmer possible. Stir 3 times max. so it's not a solid clump burning on the bottom. (a quick stir does NOT screw up the rice, it helps because of the oil).

Now that's an Above Top Secret.
edit on 5-9-2012 by tkwasny because: Typo fix

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
www.livestrong.com...

White vs brown rice....some of you are spot on in your comments.

I eat brown to keep the insulin spike minimal. Constant insulin spikes from sugars, white bread etc lead to obesity and diabetes.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

That sounds amazing. I'll be making that at the weekend.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

and thats due to the fiber. i just looked at white vs brown rice again at a store (same brand) white had 34G of carbs, while brown has 32G of carbs, no difference, except fiber /potisum with white rice having way more vitamins etc (niacin
edit on 5-9-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
reply to post by solarstorm

and thats due to the fiber. i just looked at white vs brown rice again at a store (same brand) white had 34G of carbs, while brown has 32G of carbs, no difference, except fiber /potisum with white rice having way more vitamins etc (niacin
edit on 5-9-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

My post was specific to insulin spike and glycemic index. Food packages don't tell the entire story. So here is some further education for you.

Glycemic index brown rice is 50 and considered Low.
www.carbs-information.com...

Glycemic index white rice is 69 and considered medium.
www.carbs-information.com...

Enjoy.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Simple!
eat both. not at the same time.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Oh and to the above poster discussing potassium... it's very necessary for proper bioelectric function, including heart and brain. Good stuff that potassium. Like anything else, moderation is key.

~Heff

I don't have proper bioelectric function and I read it's the potassium that effects that adversely. I must double check all that though. It's complicated and involves ions, potassium and summit else, calcium? maybe.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Google "electrolytes" and that will explain most of it. Also, if you have a medical condition that is causing neural issues - ignore me and listen to your doctor!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I have what these guys have. The way it actually works inside the body is far too complicated for my wee brain to take in, but I'm stuck* with it. My doctors are more clueless than me and the neurologist I saw one time only knows it from the books he has.

I've read some folk can't even get out of a chair after eating a banana (potassium) but I've never actually done an experiment to see if symptoms are worse after certain foods. Maybe I should have a big bowl of brown rice and a banana for pudding and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just go with what tastes best to you.

Or get both of them and mix them up with some veggies and meat.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by Monkeygod333

White rice isn't bleached. The husk and germ are removed and the grain polished. It is naturally white. Think of it as being like a peeled potato.

This (above) is correct. But also this:

Originally posted by Annee
I don't think its just white or brown rice.

Its about the processing.

There's actually about 140 different rice types in the world.

RESEARCH what you are eating.

If you want a brown rice that will blow your mind, look for "basmati" rice. Expensive, but worth it. I got some jasmine rice last week also, which is more like a white rice but much more flavorful.

If you've only ever eaten plain "generic" white rice, you've missed out!
edit on 17-9-2012 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join