Brown Rice vs White Rice, WTF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So i've been eating brown rice lately and still trying to figure what is better. I switched from white rice enriched to brown rice.

White rice had more nutrients in the vitamin department. I was a little perplexed. Although, i've been told that brown rice (wild) is sooooo good for you. But the only difference were two departments in the nutrional fact.

Brown rice had potasium (SP?) and had much more fiber. Fiber is good, but too much fiber can be a bad thing as well. So what is the answer.

SO white rice, more nutrients, yet white rice is suppose to be stripped from these nutrients.

Still mowing on brown rice

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
White rice is really startchy and gives me heartburn.

/inb4thisturnsracial
edit on 4-9-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't think potassium agrees with me, and I find brown rice hard to chew on. Haven't had it for years but I might buy some and have another go. Maybe I cooked it wrong last time I had it? Will have to check the potassium thing tho.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Google Fight has an answer

I don't like the results. Methinks the fight was rigged.

Though fun, I think I'll stick with japanesebugfights.com

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

White rice is the name given to milled rice that has had its husk, bran, and germ removed. This alters the flavour, texture and appearance of the rice and helps prevent spoilage and extend its storage life. After milling, the rice is polished, resulting in a seed with a bright, white, shiny appearance.

A lot of vitamins and minerals are removed during milling which is present in the husk, bran and germ.

It all depends on what nutrients your after

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
From what I understand, and I am no expert, you are supposed to stay away from bleached products like white rice and sugar.

The chemical process the food has to go through to get them white is what is bad for you.

When I get into a situation like this I usually ask myself, what would people have done a 100 years ago? Humans have been around for way longer than whitened rice.

And another thing, since we are on the subject, you should eat the seeds and pibs in your apples and oranges aswell, especially apricot seeds, they carry vitamin B17. A lack of B17 causes cancer. Look up Dr Edward Griffin if you got the time.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
brown rice isn't wild rice. It is unhulled white rice from what I understand. It has a higher protien and fiber content I believe. Being less processed than white rice, though sprouted brown rice is naturally the healthiest.
wild rice usually has different colored grains while white is white and brown brown.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
SO white rice, more nutrients, yet white rice is suppose to be stripped from these nutrients.

The white rice has nutrients stripped but it is enriched because nutrients are added afterwards. Probably why you see the levels being higher than the brown rice.

I'd stick with the white rice and find other sources of fiber, like popcorn. 3.5 grams of fiber per 3 cups of popped popcorn or find something more to your liking:

High-fiber foods

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

White rice isn't bleached. The husk and germ are removed and the grain polished. It is naturally white. Think of it as being like a peeled potato.

edit on 4-9-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The only real difference between white rice and brown is the fiber content. If you want the extra fiber, go with the brown. If fiber isn't a concern to you, it doesn't really matter. Eat whichever one you like best.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I don't think its just white or brown rice.

Its about the processing.

There's actually about 140 different rice types in the world.

RESEARCH what you are eating.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I always though brown rice was better because it had more fibre, something to do with the husk still being on it or something. My diet's mostly healthy anyway so I'll stick with white rice, it's less chewy and seems to take on other flavours better.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Amadeo

Yeah i know, brown is good because of fiber, yet white enriched has added nutrients, meaning its still better for you. So...idk, sounds like we should just eat our rice and stfu

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Wild rice isn't the same as Asian rice. But it's also a kind of grass, and they are close cousins.

Brown rice is white rice with the hulls still on, unpolished. When fresh, it has a nutty taste, but can take ages to cook. If I've got the time, I prefer the taste.

The advantage of white rice is that it can be stored for years. Brown rice goes rancid after around 6 or 7 months, even when kept in a cool, dry place.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
With this extra Barium being found in people's blood, it is a well known fact that Potassium (citrate) is the antidote.

So brown rice is better in that department.

(Barium sulphate is in the chemtrails/longlasting contrails.)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Did you read the part where I said I was no expert?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
wow synchronicity occurence right now... it was only last night i was looking up brown and white rice to see which is better! apparently white rice is stripped of nutrients, white rice is more processed and in my opinion not as good although i admit i like it better, but like the poster above said... like alot of white foods e.g bread its been bleached to look more appealing.

brown rice has.

*Twice the manganese and phosphorus as white
*2 ½ times the iron
*3 times vitamin B3
*4 times the vitamin B1
*10 times the vitamin B6

So their you go.
www.organicauthority.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

I guess that was aimed at me. Didn't mean any harm. I'm no expert either but did a quick search and thought the info I found would be appreciated by the other readers. I replied to your post because you had made the comment.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
My son is a picky eater, but he loves rice just plain rice with a little butter on it, about a year or so ago I thought what am I feeding him? So I switched to brown rice, he still ate it thought I put something nasty on it but he did eat it. I then looked at the labels and went back to white, he likes it better, doesn't eat it too often and I also like it better, it takes on flavor better.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I don't think potassium agrees with me, and I find brown rice hard to chew on. Haven't had it for years but I might buy some and have another go. Maybe I cooked it wrong last time I had it? Will have to check the potassium thing tho.

The first time I made brown rice it was chewy, but it was under cooked! It takes considerably longer to cook than white rice.
Also I think it has a high GI than white rice, and less starch. I actually prefer it now.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join