It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highlander Remake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I just found out some shocking news. They are remaking one of my favorite movies: Highlander. Ill give you a minute to recover from the shock and the coldness in your soul to lessen...

Minute over.

Now, we all know how bad The Quickening, The Source, and Endgame were. Highlander, as a franchise, has completely failed and threw the fans of the original the bird and told them to suck it.

Its understandable that our hope is small for the effectiveness of a remake of the original. Well, when i heard about this I thought "maybe they can do this, maybe it will be good."

My naivety crashed down upon me like a wave of molten lava when I looked for information on the cast.

www.imdb.com...

They are casting Ryan Reynolds as Connor MacLeod.

Ryan Reynolds

as

Connor MacLeod

Ill give you minute for the sinking feeling to lessen(it never will).

Minute over.

Its been a long time since the Highlander franchise has self destructed under the weight of its retcons, absurdity, plot holes, bad acting, General Katana and The Guardian. However, it is seemingly not enough. Maybe there is a God, and he just HATES Highlander.

Ryan Reynolds is such an inappropriate choice for Conner MacCleods character. This goofball will be recognized as the immortal swordsman, killer of The Kurgan, and "winner of the prize" for those who will watch this without having seen the original.

I am so sad.

There can only be one good highlander film, it seems.
edit on 4-9-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What about Michael Fassbender as Conner McCloud, you think that would work?

I like the first Highlander movie, it was a good movie.

Great Soundtrack!

Tsom87

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
My son, who's 19, gets emotionally bothered when he sees a new ad' for the remake of a classic flick. He thumbs his nose at the fact that Hollywood's been running out of ideas lately and attempting to "remake" the classics.

With all the remakes lately, it's been a really disappointing clue as to show just how the *Creative Juices* are seriously lacking in Hollywood.

Believe me, the new ideas aren't lacking either --- I have a grip of excellent ideas, and I'm only one person!

There's nothing wrong with the Highlander --- ergo, there's ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR A REMAKE!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

What about Michael Fassbender

I would say better than Reynolds!

Highlander does have a great soundtrack!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

Yes, it is great the way it is! No need to DESTROY it!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Geeze.... Hollywood has become total, unmitigated TRASH lately. No new ideas....nothing original or even all that good. It's sequels until people are so totally fed up with the story line being taken out past where logic ended...THEN, lets re-make the whole tired series from scratch! As if that brainstorm will help when they'd beat the horse into the ground to start with.

I LOVE the Highlander Series personally and have all the movies. All but the goofy one with Michael Ironside and the Sky Shield nonsense were excellent in my view and among the better of their genre.

Perhaps that's why a re-make is necessary. It was a GOOD series..so we must remake it into something modern-crappy. Red Dawn was another fine example of a great movie they should have just left alone entirely.

C'mon Movie people. Make NEW...Make Different! Give the generation today THEIR Star Wars or Highlander to talk about growing up with........not the pathetic legacy of growing up to the SECOND best movies in the literal form of Second tries at well established and used ideas.

Boooooo! They can KEEP their Highlander Remake!

" There can be only ONE! "

edit on 4-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
A remake will be waste if time. Watered down script and acting. This is obviously another money grab using a done idea.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Conner McCloud - Michael Fassbender
Brenda Wyatt - Hilary Swank
The Kurgan - Hugh Jackman
Juan Sánchez - Liam Neeson
Heather MacLeod - Kelly MacDonald

Soundtrack - Queen, the original soundtrack

Just a few name's of the top of my head!

I wouldn't want to see a remake as well, none of these remake's capture the magic of the originals!

Tsom87

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I LOVE the Highlander Series personally and have all the movies.

Parts of The Series were okay- to great, but it has some issues that don't, in my opinion, put it on the same level as the film.

C'mon Movie people. Make NEW...Make Different! Give the generation today THEIR Star Wars or Highlander to talk about growing up with........not the pathetic legacy of growing up to the SECOND best movies in the literal form of Second tries at well established and used ideas.

Yes! Where is this generations, my generations, Star Wars?

So much great series in the past, but where are they now? I dont know.Its been years since i have seen an original, modern movie series i have liked for all installments.

Hollywood has been hijacked by special effects, Sex appeal, and remakes that it really is disgusting.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
Conner McCloud - Michael Fassbender
Brenda Wyatt - Hilary Swank
The Kurgan - Hugh Jackman
Juan Sánchez - Liam Neeson
Heather MacLeod - Kelly MacDonald

Soundtrack - Queen, the original soundtrack

Just a few name's of the top of my head!

I wouldn't want to see a remake as well, none of these remake's capture the magic of the originals!

Tsom87

I dont know, sounds like a good-great cast to me.

I am not too much of a fan of Hugh, but i think he could do the role well.

I will think on my ideal cast.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Don't trip --- you guys gave us Twilight!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth

Go to hell! Disturbed teenage girls.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_philth

Go to hell! Disturbed teenage girls gave you that.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

your reply made me lol

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Guys, Ewan McGregor. Hea ctually IS Scotish, is somewhat talented if given good material to work with, and we would assume he already has some sword training from his Obi Wan Kenobi days.

And really, Ryan Reynolds had much broader scope than he is given credit for. While its a horrible movie, watch the new Amnityville Horror. If you can actually stomach this movie for long enough, he actually gives a very chilling performance, id perhaps single out the woodcutting scene where he makes his stepson hold the log in place. I do have to say he was as wooden as Keanu Reeves in The Green Lantern however.

And yeah, honestly as much as i loved the original, it wasnt the best movie ever. Watching it now, in glasses not so youth colored, i see terrible acting, especially by the main actor, Christopher Lambert and his modern day girlfriend. Honestly, only Sean Connery and the dude who played the Kurgan were the only convincing main characters imo.
edit on 4-9-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Well, they've already completely stuffed Total Recall, barely 20 years after the amazing original came out, so I guess it's time for Hollywood to kill another classic.

Thing is though, Highlander, the original, wasn't really that good. I'm not sure how long ago you saw it, but if it's been a while, go back and relive it. In short, it's terrible. The TV show was even better than the movies, and the sequel? Aliens? Really?

They couldn't do worse with this one IMO, even with Ryan Reynolds.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If your going to do it, do it right.

I say bring a real Scottish actor in, to play the part. Period.

Gerard Butler, Ewan McGregor, Kevin Kidd, John Barrowman, David Tennant, etc....................

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is what you get when you turn Hollywood into a business and don't care for lack of creativity because it might not make a profit.

But while I'm wary of remakes, I'm not totally against them. They could be good.

And people made the same kinds of comments about Michael Keaten (HE WAS MISTER MOM!) playing Batman.

So I usually see this as nothing but fan rage. Kind of like nerd rage but only with the wierd fan boys.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We will be seeing a lot more remakes of popular movies in the future, Hollywood is not as willing to take chances on new material in the days of online piracy.

Personally I wouldn't want to see a new vision of Highlander, it's a classic that should remain in it's original form.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Maybe they will place this project into development hell where it belongs, now that the Total Recall remake has bombed.

new topics

top topics

join