It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New “Geo Fence” Technology Lets DHS, FBI and Apple Command Your Phone’s Camera and Microphone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Did you withhold the name due to T&C?

I have a feeling if the government wanted to get access they’d find a way.

yes i can not name names here as it is against T & Cs,
also the launch is not for a little while, and i would rather wait for the service to be available,

the point is that the government can always get a valid court order and would still have the ability to intercept and decrypt where actually needed,
but the information of non offender users would not be in plain text for all to see.

and companies like apple would not be able to "sell" your information and "access" to third parties,

the government would still be able to stop "terrorists" but any information "hacked" or illegally obtained would be of little use to anyone "outside of law enforcement"

privacy by design

xploder

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

the other point to make is that without access to the information for the ISP,
there is "nothing to hack" and nothing to "exploit" like in the case of the FBI/APPLE hack,

unlawful search and seizure, becomes almost imposable,
without a valid court order.

your information is YOURS not the property of the ISP as in current models.

xploder

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Regarding the other aspect of this story, the hacking of 12 million Apple IDs, apparently the FBI is denying it. Even though one million of these IDs have allegedly been released.

FBI denies claims of Apple ID hack

(CNN) -- The FBI on Tuesday said there is "no evidence" to support claims by a hackers group that they accessed information about millions of Apple users on a bureau computer.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubicant13
The longer I live, the more this country and world for that matter, seems to become more like an orwellian nightmare. I feel like I am living in the book 1984. I agree with the OP the police state is definitely growing. It's not like the government doesn't keep enough of an eye on us already. Now we aren't even safe with our cell phones...

It seems clear to me--knowing virtually nothing about computers--that in addition to super fast computers that TPTB have the capability of unlimited storage and quick retrieval of that data. You say, "well, sure enough...."

But what I'm meaning to say is that such power is evidently fast becoming God-like and will eventual get near that final position. Everything that is recordable via any means will be retained and available to the extent that it is the mind and memory of God (as it is frequently envisioned). At present, we are simply concerned that the box of ammo we bought at Walmart with our CC has been deduced from trillions of other data entries and added to our personal profile.

This situation is the result of our years ago letting those innocent little cookies to continue to infest our lives. And why the government never bothered to enact laws and regulatons to prevent them from invading our personal property. They knew what they wanted and how to allow it to happen.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

sounds retarded and very stupid.

don't use an iphone or ipad.

just use a normal camera without a phone.

seriously.

--------------------

also the sheer volume of information collected will make it useless.

at any one time at least a terabyte of info per second is flowing.

1 terabyte of info =1 terabyte hard drive to store it.

31 million seconds in a year=31 million hard drives a year.

try accessing info from 31 million hard drives.

edit on 5-9-2012 by nobodysavedme because: ya

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Hahaha this isnt about them having the technology. It about having the permission to use it, they are trying sell a basic networking foundation, ip based hardware sharing as a "new technology", its existing technology they just need apple to show them how to use it in their system.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

This needs to bought to light so everyone can see exactly what is actually going on here - this is a comment I made yesterday when Maxmars posted his thread opener regarding the hacked ID issue:-

reply to post by Maxmars

The introduction of the Apple iphone was a vast experiment in individual tracking technology from the very start - this latest news only verifies what law enforcement has had at their disposal for years now.

Ask yourself - why does the iphone it have a built-in battery for instance? - the answer may surprise most people:-

Even if a cell phone is completely turned off, law enforcement authorities can still listen in on the conversations that a suspect is having. All that is necessary is for the battery to still be in the cell phone.

According to CNET News, the FBI can remotely activate the microphone on your cell phone and listen to whatever you are saying.... The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations. The technique is called a "roving bug," and was approved by top U.S. Department of Justice officials for use against members of a New York organized crime family who were wary of conventional surveillance techniques such as tailing a suspect or wiretapping him. When you make a telephone call, it is never private.

The reality is that the NSA has been monitoring all phone calls for years and years. According to USA Today, the NSA intends "to create a database of every call ever made".... The National Security Agency has been secretly collecting the phone call records of tens of millions of Americans, using data provided by AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth, people with direct knowledge of the arrangement told USA TODAYThe American Dream....

Similar but limited tracking technology such as Spy Bubble allows for individuals to track their "cheating partners' every move" including remote downloads of SMS messages, emails and recorded conversations.

Being ex-law enforcement and still having access to individuals within the service, take the following story as personal testimony.

A friend whom is in the upper echelons of the legal game and I regularly meet to discuss topics of mutual interest. This individual will simply refuse to even utter a word unless both our phone(s) are at least 30m away - preferably housed within a sealed compartment. This individual is by no means a conspiracy minded individual but is ACUTELY aware of the remote tracking and microphone activation technology available - because this individual uses the same technology on others as deemed necessary and it does not matter if your phone is on or off or even if your battery is dead - as long as it is in the phone!

Just remember, that little chip in your passport, for instance, holds a vast amount of data, requires no power source and can be scanned from a distance - what then do you suppose your phone can hold by way of data - to be accessed remotely - and even if the battery is dead now, remember that it was at one stage fully charged up!!!

Don't be fooled by the Government having your ID numbers on hand - that is a drop in the ocean compared to what they already have access to..................

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Annnnnnd just like that police brutality can't be recorded, i only own an ipad 1 but its jailbroken and i'll revamp my firewall rules tonight since ios is pretty much simply modded linux distro that they resell you...
when its jail broken u can do alllooottt with it if u know how to...

In previous post the guy stating he couldnt access his recorded files would make sense, they can't "disable" the camera per say it would require firmware update to include those new functionality, unless this function has been trojan horsed in the last ios releases...

However simply remotely modifying the recorded file's permission from "root" which unbroken devices doesnt have access to since ios run at normal user level and being always running at root level would be pretty stupid... Would cause the iphone/ipad to be capable of recording BUT the playback programs that run at user level woulndt be able to playback the files due to permission changes...

I bet the "fence" is to prevent people from recording police brutality, all they have to do is setup a "fence" nobody can upload or view the recording even is they record it BUT the court can get it pulled out of the phone through Apple if needed...

Iphones being the most common phones u just dramatically kill the chances of cops be "caught in action" and shown to the world just by making the files unreadable and unaccessable... Clever...really clever but wouldn't work on jailbroken device since it give u access to root and you have to change (unless your a dumbass) the root password which would deprive them of accessing or at least making change to the device if they can access it from user level unless they have a rootkit of some sort but i'm sure this would of been found awhile back and be public knowledge if they did.

edit on 5-9-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Wellllll this calls for coders and security enthousiast to band together and spit out a homebrew ios replacement os or to at least dissect and turn it inside out to see if there isnt any hidden surprises, although i think this might be an interesting project to create a whole new independent os thats free and safe from apples access and grip.

With custom built iptables rules and user friendly IDS system, this would make some LEO unhappy...

I think im going to make me a new tshirt that says "I'm not a hacker, I'm freedom's last friend..."

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I’m unaware of the potential capabilities of remote access but I suspect if they can shut off my camera or microphone then they could also turn it on….

they've been able to hack into cell phones...

for a very long time.. well .. 5 years that I know of at least.. massive thread on here about a gf tracking her bf on his cell through software and was able to turn it on at will w/o his knowing about it..

trust me..it's in there.. has been for over 10 years.. just to be safe..

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
apple is so diabolical you can't even access the battery to remove it, just to make sure your phone is really off.

is angry birds really worth it.

edit on 5-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I had the urge to photograph some chemtrails in the making at sunrise a few years ago, on my blackberry which always worked perfectly, I took a picture, then a few minutes after, the entire chemtrails, there were three parallel, vertical trails, being made at the same time, had comepletely shifted across the sky to a substantial degree.

Imagine a clock, well these would have moved from the 1200 position to 1210, in literally a few minutes it looked like the sky had shifted. I tried taking another picture but it wouldn't, however much I tried, the phone kept giving an error message, like it was frozen or hacked or something.

I then felt really tired, almost faint, and needed to lay down. When I woke it was about maybe an hour after and I got a photo of the chemtrails which were reaching the top of the sky, and slightly dispersed, when I tried taking the photo they were half way up the sky.

I wrote about it on this thread
edit on 5-9-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
the thought of the feds complete control of our personal cell phones is out rageous just imagin what they can link with it have you put away for exsample any thing they deem terrorisim or any thing that they feel is above NDAA that is just insane the federal gov has bend and strechd and broke the rules for too long and yet ignorant politic heads didnt listen to ron pual ...tisk tisk it very well seems were on a roll down the hill expect alot of civil unrest my fellow members

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by seabag

What is sad, is that people submit, by purchasing and using these products......Corporations wouldn't exist if the people would quit purchasing their products!

I agree, i`ve never owned a cell and probably never will. cell phones aren`t a necessity they are just a high tech convienience.I don`t have much sympathy for people who are willing to give up their privacy in exchange for a little high tech gadgety convienience.
It`s not right that the government is invading peoples privacy like that but now that people know they are doing it people should stop using cells phones if they value their privacy.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Perhaps this is also linked to phone companies having to comply to government directives in installing GPS. Things could easily be attached to GPS technology. 95% of phones by 2005...now 2012, I guess the precentage is much higher.

Geofencing

The technology and ease of use that fuels the very concept of geofencing became evident after the United State’s Federal Communications Commission’s Enhanced 911 service mandated that wireless phone carriers fit 95% of their devices with GPS chips by the end of 2005. Though GPS technology has been around since the 1970s, availability and cost today make it that much easier for the technology to be imparted on almost any level – from recreational to personal to business. AdChoices

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join