It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New “Geo Fence” Technology Lets DHS, FBI and Apple Command Your Phone’s Camera and Microphone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The ever expanding scope of the police state has grown even larger this week. Information has surfaced about Apple’s connection to DHS and FBI and the new ability they are seeking to access our wireless devices. Soon the federal government will be able to control what we can document.

Apple has been granted a new patent that allows the company to command its devices to shut down camera and microphone functionality on any iPhone or iPad based on its specific geographic location.

The technology makes it possible for the firm, at the behest of government officials, to create a “geo fence” around any venue or event which is identified as a security priority or sensitive area.

Second, and quite possibly even more disturbing than Apple’s ability to directly access key recording features on our wireless devices, is the revelation that hackers breached an FBI Regional Cyber Action Team laptop computer and gained access to highly sensitive files that were later released on the internet. In those files were the unique device identifiers, user names, address books, and other personal details belonging to over 12 million Apple subscribers.

This suggests one of two possibilities. Either the FBI illegally hacked Apple’s subscriber database to acquire this information, or Apple willingly turned this information over to them.
www.shtfplan.com...

US Patent No 8,254,902

I’m unaware of the potential capabilities of remote access but I suspect if they can shut off my camera or microphone then they could also turn it on….

I don’t even want to think about how these abilities can be abused.

edit on 4-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The longer I live, the more this country and world for that matter, seems to become more like an orwellian nightmare. I feel like I am living in the book 1984. I agree with the OP the police state is definitely growing. It's not like the government doesn't keep enough of an eye on us already. Now we aren't even safe with our cell phones...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Now you see how to become the super rich company, become an arm of big brother.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What is sad, is that people submit, by purchasing and using these products......Corporations wouldn't exist if the people would quit purchasing their products!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I wonder if this is related to that FBI laptop hack that exposed 12 million Apple device ID's?

Apple device ID's hacked

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by seabag

What is sad, is that people submit, by purchasing and using these products......Corporations wouldn't exist if the people would quit purchasing their products!

i tottally agree with you, i don't have a phone, i know where my friends are if i ever want to go and see them, i won't give the satisfaction of letting someone track me so easily if they want to.
Seriously thinking about getting rid of my pc at the moment as well, and if the SHTF people will be at a natural disadvantage because of their stupidity and technology reliance.

Is your phone worth dying for?, or, worth the freedom of your family?, if the mic is remotely activated and one of your loved ones is having a bad day and they are railing about the government, who's to say with voice printing software they won't know exactly who it is, and from then regard them as a threat.
edit on 4-9-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
How interesting.

Last night I was testing out a high quality mp3 recorder on my phone. It was working fine for a while. Then all of a sudden any file that I recorded had an error "status=f0xxxxxxx" or something like that.

After a little frustration there, I went to my phone's camcorder to try to find out if the program started malfunctioning. The camcorder worked fine, just like the mp3 recorder did. But when the recording was complete, I would go to access the file and it said the same thing. The file could not be accessed, status=f0xxxxxxx or something like that.

I tried everything. It frustrated me quite a bit. It made no sense. Nothing had been changed and the phone was working just fine before.

Then something got me. I turned off the Wi-fi access for the phone.

Wouldn't you know...

The phone's recording started working again.

This was last night everybody. I don't know exactly what happened, but I do know that it's very strange that turning off Wi-fi access allowed my video and audio recorders to work again - even though when they worked before the Wi-fi was on.

But now I can only use those programs as long as the phone isn't connected to Wi-fi.

This hasn't ever happened before. I repeat, this happened last night.

This "Geo-Fence" technology is already being used. They are just making an announcement because, like they said, they intend to enforce this at "venues". But more importantly, I think you should realize that law enforcement will have a device that has negative effects on any electronics you have with you in your vehicle or on your person.

Of course, as long as you are always kind and respectful, this should not be too much of a problem.

Just know that it is already happening. IF you have had problems with your phones before, try disconnecting from the Wi-fi. You will find that some things will probably work better (if the phone is functioning properly).

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Maybe the answer for the Iphone is something along the line of Russia's solution to the Android.

it.slashdot.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

The longer I live, the more this country and world for that matter, seems to become more like an orwellian nightmare. I feel like I am living in the book 1984.

I couldn’t agree more.

Wait until you get a call from DHS one day and they question you about something they overhead while eavesdropping on your cell phone.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Sounds like they just did the independent camera market a huge favor.

I knew there was a reason to keep the damned things.

edit on 4-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Is there a large fortune 500 that wouldn’t sell us out for the almighty dollar?

I used to have a lot of respect for CEO’s of large companies….not so much anymore.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Let em record me, theyd get real bored lol unless they like Battlestar Galactica
edit on 9/4/2012 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I wonder if this is related to that FBI laptop hack that exposed 12 million Apple device ID's?

I think so…it was mentioned in the OP.

This suggests one of two possibilities. Either the FBI illegally hacked Apple’s subscriber database to acquire this information, or Apple willingly turned this information over to them.

There is no such thing as coincidence IMO.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by roadgravel

Is there a large fortune 500 that wouldn’t sell us out for the almighty dollar?

I used to have a lot of respect for CEO’s of large companies….not so much anymore.

yes there is,
a new company recently set up will offer encrypted connections to android and apple devices WITHOUT beeing routed through apple server architecture,
the company will NOT have the ability to "capture" your information,
as it is transmitted in encrypted channels "end to end"

the company is designed to fight for the rights of users and will go to court to prevent
"unlawful search and seizure" of non court ordered "intercepts"

apple is your enemy,
if you move your isp and phone contract over to the new provider,

THERE WILL BE NO REMOTE CONTROL FEATURE over your location camera and mic,

both the phone stream and internet will be encrypted and nothing will be stored in plain text.

its about to be launched

xploder

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Let's just say I'm always mindful that smartphones have a microphone, even when you're not intentionally using it. If the hardware is there and has power, anything is possible I imagine.

So they could shut them off remotely? That's an uncomfortable idea which could prove useful for them in situations where they'd not want anyone (like, say, the world stage) to see what is happening in America. Why would a feature like that even be developed?

In what situations could it's deployment be expected? And would it be considered acceptable?

This reminds me of when BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) shut down cell towers last year during Occupy protests in that area, but worse. Some might even say it's unconstitutional, but not sure I'd go that far.

Still unsettling nonetheless. S&F
edit on 4-9-2012 by Sek82 because: correction

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Someday they will have a brain scanner and bust you for thought crimes. Every jaywalking, speeding and other stuff you have done. The only people left out here will be the people above the law, and the sheep.

XL5

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The easy way to fix this is to block in/out going transmissions before going to whatever place may be blocked. Just envelop the device in copper foil leaving holes for the cam and mic. Its not that they are doing this to track you (they already do), they are doing this to curb bootlegging.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
excellent news!

I have the skyrocket

apple =

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

yes there is,
a new company recently set up will offer encrypted connections to android and apple devices WITHOUT beeing routed through apple server architecture,
the company will NOT have the ability to "capture" your information,
as it is transmitted in encrypted channels "end to end"

the company is designed to fight for the rights of users and will go to court to prevent
"unlawful search and seizure" of non court ordered "intercepts"

apple is your enemy,
if you move your isp and phone contract over to the new provider,

THERE WILL BE NO REMOTE CONTROL FEATURE over your location camera and mic,

both the phone stream and internet will be encrypted and nothing will be stored in plain text.

its about to be launched

Did you withhold the name due to T&C?

I have a feeling if the government wanted to get access they’d find a way.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Someday they will have a brain scanner and bust you for thought crimes. Every jaywalking, speeding and other stuff you have done. The only people left out here will be the people above the law, and the sheep.

It seems we’re headed in that direction….

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join