It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's to open vegetarian restaurant in India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Definitely a smart move on Mcdonald's part as India has the biggest vegetarian consumers and a market. Wonder if it will make it to the US??? (For those vegans).

The fast-food giant reportedly plans to open its first vegetarian-only restaurant next year in India.

The Oak Brook, Ill.-based company has been known to tailor its menus to suit local demographics. In India, for example, it already uses chicken instead of beef for its Maharaja Mac sandwich. But this will be the first McDonald's without meat on the menu.

www.myfoxny.com...

edit on 4-9-2012 by hp1229 because: add link

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I am wondering if Monsanto has a hand in this? It seems India is fighting a losing battle against Monsanto.

In a notable victory for India, a country plagued with controversies surrounding the widespread genetically modified crops found across the nation, the government announced that beginning in January 2013 all food products containing genetically modified ingredients must be labeled if they’re going to be sold in the country.

Source

What better way to poison the people of India by using a huge corporation like McDonalds to introduce a so called "better option"?

It certainly isn't to benefit the people of India! It is most likely a back door plan to sneek GMO's into the food supply!
edit on 4-9-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
Definitely a smart move on Mcdonald's part as India has the biggest vegetarian consumers and a market. Wonder if it will make it to the US??? (For those vegans).

Dude, EVERYTHING makes it to the U.S...

Except Poutine?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The McVeggie. Lol.

2nd line.

CX

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Wonder if it will make it to the US???

No doubt it will, the UK too.....only to be fried and made palatable to the already obese.

CX.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

India certainly got a market for it, most of the population follows Hinduism and collectively decided not to eat meat. Now maybe USA does not have a market for it but still has a abundant number of vegetarians, it could work but only in certain environments i guess.

Figure shows the annual meat consumption per capita in kg/person

Figure shows the annual fruit/vegetable consumption per State

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Great. Veggie burgers soaked in pork fat and loaded with MSG that has 13,000 calories. That definitely sounds like a great way to eat healthy.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

The fast-food giant reportedly plans to open its first vegetarian-only restaurant next year in India.

The Oak Brook, Ill.-based company has been known to tailor its menus to suit local demographics. In India, for example, it already uses chicken instead of beef for its Maharaja Mac sandwich. But this will be the first McDonald's without meat on the menu.

www.myfoxny.com...

edit on 4-9-2012 by hp1229 because: add link

If enough Americans change their eating habits they might.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I always thought that people smart enough to be vegetarians were also smart enough not to eat at McDonald's. I'm not knocking meat-eaters..I eat limited amounts of meat myself. I still think vegetarians would avoid McDonald's no matter what they have on the menu.

I do eat a Big Mac very occasionally! I admit, I would be curious to try a vegetarian menu. But I don't see this sticking in the western world.

And their fries are way too salty for human consumption!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Well. Monsanto's products were being rejected by farmers. But it could also be a venue to lure the farmers into making more money if a corporation like Mcdonalds starts purchasing the cash crops in bulk thus promoting the GM seeds.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Dude, EVERYTHING makes it to the U.S...Except Poutine?
Well with the rising cost of medical treatments, watch it being promoted by the first lady..somewhere down the road if the POTUS wins the election

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
The McVeggie. Lol.2nd line.

MENU

It sure does look good.
MENU_IMAGES
edit on 5-9-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimens

Precisely. Give people what they want and are accustomed to. Good business strategy.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
I always thought that people smart enough to be vegetarians were also smart enough not to eat at McDonald's. I'm not knocking meat-eaters..I eat limited amounts of meat myself. I still think vegetarians would avoid McDonald's no matter what they have on the menu.

I do eat a Big Mac very occasionally! I admit, I would be curious to try a vegetarian menu. But I don't see this sticking in the western world.

And their fries are way too salty for human consumption!
Well it all depends since many of the ingredients in specific regions are purchased from that region and custom tailored to the particular market segment. Mcdonalds China and Japan are very different then Mcdonalds India or US. Especially since many cultures are picky, particular and disciplined about their food. Surely Mcdonalds would not jeopardise their market presence by pushing their line of products. They have to modify according to the market.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I haven't been to McD's in a few years but I recall they had 3 pretty good salads with chicken.That started their supposed healthy eating campaign.

top topics

join