Democrats set to move Obama's big speech from 74,000-seater outdoor stadium to 20,000-seater indoor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Source.

Democrats are poised to avoid the danger of President Barack Obama accepting his party’s nomination before a partially-empty stadium by shifting his speech to an indoor arena and citing ‘severe weather’.

The Obama campaign have been working desperately to ensure that the 74,000-seater Bank of America stadium in Charlotte would be filled.

Buses for students from across North Carolina and even members of black churches in neighboring South Carolina have been arranged.

Predictable. I wondered about this the other day and here the issue arrives a few days later.

Not a good sign for the Democrats or Obama.

Turns out, he didn't start out too hot either:

Obama Launches Campaign in 70% full Arena
edit on 4-9-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I just love it when conjecture and opinion override common sense. Typical election year emptiness and misdirection so no one notices the state of the State!

Priceless!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Its the severe weather, cough cough doncha know!

Seems the Messianic draw has withered much like outsized Mt. Rushmore sand sculptures.

No worries TV camera trickery will fix all!

Funniest comment of the day, "You didn't fill that"
edit on 4-9-2012 by Phoenix because: add comment

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That's like saying that the RNC used hurricane Isaac to shorten the convention because they didn't have anything to say... That would be dumb.

But, I'm glad to know that the trusted news source, the daily rag, I mean the daily mail, is keeping us updated on Obama's motivations for his actions. And I'm also heartened to see some of ATS's most respected contributors using that informative news source to further the quality of content on ATS.

NOT.

The Five Day Forecast for Charlotte says the chance of rain on Thursday is somewhere between 20% and 50%. There could be lightening, which would pose a safety hazard, but last I heard (from reputable sources), only dangerous conditions would force them inside. At this time, the plans are to make the outdoor acceptance happen, rain or shine.

Wouldn't you guys feel silly if it ends up being outside anyway? I guess we'll see what happens.

edit on 9/4/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Reminds me of romneys ford field debacle where he gets a large stadium then throws some lawn chairs in the endzone cause only a handfull showed up. So funny that a man who can draw a crowd and fill a stadium isn't the one the people want, yet a guy who can't fill 74,000, and needs to downscale is going to be your president again. Weather ya thats the problem, and I'd say it's the storm clouds hanging over both the Democrates and the Republicans, that are dark clouds of lies, deciet, and corruption, too bad this one doesn't dissapate with the winds.....

SaneThinking

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
K, first it was just plain weather, now its for the "safety" next it'll be for the "children"

Carl R must be operating his weather machinery in overtime

Maybe they can fill the stadium with "Dummies"

Oh and the other funny I'm hearing is that requiring photo ID to get on buses and enter stadium is causing quite a shortage of live bodies

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Have they all been returned after the RNC?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
BO is relying on Harold and Kumar to get them up off the couch.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm also heartened to see some of ATS's most respected contributors using that informative news source to further the quality of content on ATS.

NOT.

Disappointing comment....considering I merely posted the fact a change is considered with a strong implication that filling it may be a problem.

I too am heartened to see one of ATS's most respected contributors choose to bash the poster as well as the source because it happens to make a point she doesn't agree with.

Lovely...considering our previous private exchange, where I've kept my word.

Wouldn't you guys feel silly if it ends up being outside anyway? I guess we'll see what happens.

Not that it matters to you, but inside or out isn't the point of interest for me. It's the seat count and how they are filled I find potentially worth noting.

Another source perhaps more to your liking...

Huffington Post.

Organizers refused Tuesday to release any details about those contingency plans, including whether the president would speak somewhere else, what would be done with the 60,000 ticketholders for the event and how much time it would take to execute those plans.

Democrats have also worried for months about filling the stadium so crowd shots look good on television during the speech. They are bringing in busloads of church members and college students from North Carolina and South Carolina, but the threat of bad weather could keep people at home.

Obama's staffers dismissed that possibility Tuesday.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Originally posted by Phoenix

Have they all been returned after the RNC?

Yes Joe Biden left Tampa and is expected in Charlotte anytime after finding his U-Haul

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
They should make a movie and call it, " The Incredible Shrinking President ".

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
More...from that other rag...the Associated Press.

Dems worried about filling stadium for Obama

College students from across North Carolina will arrive in Charlotte by the busload. Same with members of predominantly black churches in neighboring South Carolina.

Their goal: help fill a 74,000-seat outdoor stadium to capacity when President Barack Obama accepts the Democratic nomination Thursday night.

Anything short of a full house on the final night of the Democratic Party's national convention will be instant fodder for Republicans eager to use empty seats as symbols of waning voter enthusiasm for Obama.

Democrats have been fretting for months over whether the president can draw a capacity crowd at Bank of America Stadium. Polls show voter enthusiasm is down, as are Obama's crowds for his battleground state campaign rallies.

Convention delegates, volunteers and other Democratic officials already in Charlotte for the party gathering could make up as much as one-third of the crowd. But filling the rest of the stadium is a piecemeal process.

It is interesting suddenly there is all of this weather discussion...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

They must not have any good music lined up this time... Where's Oprah and the gang from last time around? A free concert with top names would fill it with or without obamney.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Maybe they skipped the fake Greek columns this time.

Always a crowd pleaser.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
It is interesting suddenly there is all of this weather discussion...

Perhaps they have hurricane envy too....

Quick, somebody call HAARP!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
They should invite Clint! He will entertain their empty chairs.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Neither of those sources suggest (as the daily mail article does) that the Dems are considering "using" the storm as an excuse to move inside because they couldn't fill the stadium.

Of course there are concerns about filling the stadium and of course there are concerns about a lightening strike.

I'm sorry, I don't know what private exchange you're referring to. But it could be a memory fail on my part. If you gave your word about something and have stuck to it, that's great.
If you're saying that I gave my word about something and have broken it, please send me a PM with details.

I will leave you to this Obama-bash thread. I'm sure there will be many in the days and weeks to come.

Edited to add: Please accept my apologies for being a complete bitch earlier. I'm really sorry. I have no excuse for it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I apologize for my harshness in my first post.

Apology accepted.

I'm still keeping my word.

Concerning the substantive point of this thread:

Neither of those sources suggest (as the daily mail article does) that the Dems are considering "using" the storm as an excuse to move inside because they couldn't fill the stadium.

I don't quite recall actually making this point in the thread...until much later, and after your post, mostly as a joke.

I thought it was clear the major thrust of the thread was that the DNC and Obama may have trouble filling those seats.

Did I miss something?

Of course there are concerns about filling the stadium...

Which makes your response all the more confusing.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Addressing your edit:

Edited to add: Please accept my apologies for being a complete bitch earlier. I'm really sorry. I have no excuse for it.

Sent you a U2U.

We're cool.

No worries.

Thank you sincerely for the apology. Says a lot about the person you are trying to be... I appreciate that. No reason to throw the baby out with the bath water... We all have our days.

However, I still look forward to seeing if your boy gets his seats filled...and how.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

HAARP being used? This will insure that they know to expect dangerous lightning. I wonder if the dems were in control of it during the GOP and now turn about's fair play, the repubs get to man the machine during the DNC.

Its all so convoluted and crazy who really knows?

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join