It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning map showing every recorded hurricane path since 1851

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has a tropical storm and hurricane data archive that stretches back to 1851. But looking at each storm individually doesn’t have nearly as much impact as seeing them all projected onto a map at once. Data visualization expert John Nelson combined data on historical storms’ paths and intensities to create this stunning image, where the color of a dot represents that storm’s intensity.

Check out also this one, visible on the APOD:

Source and hi-res map: Flickr's IDVSolutions photoalbum

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Oh wow. Great find! I knew that some areas were always hit a lot harder than some other places, but the map really shows us exactly where. It makes it a lot easier to understand why the USA says it wants to be able to control the weather. S&F for you
edit on 4-9-2012 by aboutface because: typos

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Thats really cool, I would have thought Asia, would of had an equally large amount of tracks as well, unless they didnt start tracking their Cyclones until later on

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Eye of the hurricane indeed

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

The South Has no Wind Barriers ....( Mountains )..

That would help them a ton....Maybe that should be the future project.

Operation Build South Mountain. That way they don't have their cities torn apart every year.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Interesting. I never thought of Australia as being someplace hit by hurricanes. I learn something new everyday I guess.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

As nutty as that sounds, perhaps you have something there that's worth exploring. There are some innovative ideas put out by people who are trying to find uses for old tires and plastic, for example. If the will were there, I bet the current situation could be improved.

new topics

top topics

join