It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camp RuiNation [2014WC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It's just another day at glorious Camp RuiNation. As the sole living occupant of these fortifications, I guess that it's not very surprising. Nothing really changes when your alone. Every day just tends to bleed into the next. The only real differences is my choice of food for the day. Today it's canned beans and a squirrel that I was lucky enough to snare last night. It's the best meal I've had in a while.

I got up this morning to mark a red x on the wall to mark the passing of another night. As best as I can tell it's September 11, 2014. I could be a day or two off though because I only kept track of the days in my head at first. It wasn't until I founded this Camp that I started my calendar. Time is really irrelevant these days, but I still cling to it for some resemblance of normalcy.

Although it's been a couple years now since the SHTF, I'm still trying to pretend that it's a perfectly normal life that I lead. I still think about taking my son to school, and of making sure he brushed his teeth at night. I still pretend that he didn't perish in the first days of the chaos. It's the only way to deal with this world. Anything else would break me.

I guess those others that survive in this world who doubted the stories of December 21, 2012 feel rather foolish these days. It was just a joke to them. Something that radicals and crazy people believed in. Most of them never saw it coming. I know I didn't, and I at least half believed the tales. When I saw the fireballs shoot across the sky that day, I knew things were about to change. They did.

It wasn't but a matter of hours before reports of chaos where everywhere. The middle east was in complete riot. People across the world were looting everything they could get their hands on. As the fireballs plunged into the earth, those that were near fled in panic, only to be consumed by the inferno. Several of them nearly got me and my son, but we were lucky enough to find shelter in an storm drain under the city. We listened to the explosions for hours.

When we returned to the surface, the fires were already burning out. The few people we came in contact were loosing their grip rapidly. People murdering people for the clothes on the back or the food in their possession. It wasn't pretty. Loosing my son to this chaos in the first few days was the worse thing I could have ever experienced.

I'll not relieve the moment of my torment, for in my mind, it never happened. He's right here beside me. I still talk to him. He still answers. He's still laughing and smiling, asking "What's for dinner tonight Daddy?",...Squirrel and beans son...Squirrel and beans. He says he hates bean. I tell him to be appreciative for what we have.

It hasn't rained much lately and the weather is always cold. It's been that way for a year or more now. I've thought about leaving the Camp, and heading south, but I don't know if what's down south is any better. The last person I came in contact with months ago told me that Florida didn't even exist anymore. It was just an occasional sandbar sticking out in the ocean waves. I'm a little scared to get to close to the coast in case the oceans rise any more. Perhaps it's better to stay where I am.

I climbed to the top of the mountain earlier today. It's something I do frequently. There wasn't much to see as usual, but something in the air felt funny. I can't put my finger on it, but something seems to be stiring in the breeze. I feel it in my bones. Of course, I say that every time I'm up there. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, hoping for any kind of change in this world.

The dark is amost upon me again. The squirrel and beans were a feast fit for a king, at least the King of Camp RuiNation. I would trade nearly everything in my possession for a little bit of salt though. The meal would have been perfect if I had some. I'll refrain from saying the lengths I'd go to for some pepper. Wild onions add some flavor, but honestly, I'm sick of the taste.

Usually I stop writing at dark. All I have for light is a lamp I made that burns the fat of the animals I trap. There's not much fat on them these days, so I try to use it sparingly. Tonight, I'll continue my words. Something still is bothering me about my journey to the top of the mountain. I feel like if I go to sleep, I won't wake up. I don't know why that would bother me though. It's not like I have much to wake up to.

Maybe tommorrow I make a trip down to the river. It's been a while since the last time. Maybe it's beginning to clear up now. I could really use the water. The little stream that use to run through these parts finally dried up, and all I have left is what I was able to store in the rain barrel. I don't know why I call it that, it rarely rains anymore.

There's a light coming through the forest. Someone is coming. It's been so long since I've spoke to another living soul that I'm not quite sure what to do. It always seems to be "kill or be killed" these days.

"One more step and it may be your last."

"I mean no trouble to you stranger", a woman's voice arose from the darkness.
"My name is Eve. I'm only looking for shelter and food.

"I'm Adam...Welcome to Camp RuiNation."

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

What a very lonely story. Sadly enough, it smacks of realism. SnF.

Nice twist at the end, when your main character meets his soon to be gf.

join