It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Midwest/Southeastern U.S. Seismic activity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This is a little strange coming from me, but I wanted to get some answers from people smarter than myself (don't get excited, it's not that difficult to be smarter than me).

www.uky.edu...
www.uky.edu...

These are two stations fairly close to where I live. I was sitting on my duff Saturday night finishing up some crochet when I felt my couch jolt. It actually moved a few inches (probably about two). So, I'm a little perplexed, was it an earthquake?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Who knows , I guess you'll have to call the proper place to find out.
I'm in northern,il and felt several rumbles of a long duration yesterday...no one else felt it.

Nothing reported,no other info on it.Guess it's just one of those things.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The couch moved? That is rather freaky. What is the ground made of where you are from? What i am getting at is that is it possible it was some very local ground subsidence? That may then explain why it didn't register as an earthquake.

Not sure really but that kind of makes sense, to a point.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Are you near this:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by chaakin

A few hours away, probably around 2 or 3. Hmmm, I guess it was an earthquake. How odd.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by antonia

The couch moved? That is rather freaky. What is the ground made of where you are from? What i am getting at is that is it possible it was some very local ground subsidence? That may then explain why it didn't register as an earthquake.

Not sure really but that kind of makes sense, to a point.

You mean a sinkhole? This house is about 40 years old now. We had it surveyed when we bought it, no sinkholes. After doing some more digging on the USGS site I am thinking it was an earthquake. There have been three very small earthquakes in the last few days according to the USGS map.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I started feeling small vibrations and bumps at my house (East Tennessee) last year. I found a website that lists 1+ for the Central US. It is just a text list, but links out to maps and such. It's sort of a "quick & dirty" way to see if an EQ was registered/confirmed.

Recent Earthquakes in Central US

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I wasn't sure what to make of this one! I thought maybe a glitch... but now that you mention that...

WTH is going on here... from near the sinkhole in Louisiana...

"LA 09" Graph from 9/1 (same date)

"LA 09" graph from 9/2

"LA 09" graph from 9/3

I sure as heck it's just a glitch

Data from The University of Memphis Earthquake Research

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Not necessarily a sinkhole per say. Could be old mine shafts or even just some more "extreme" settling if the house is new.

Earthquake most likely but not necessarily correct is what i am getting at! (badly)

top topics

join