It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Militarization Goes Primetime

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Outdoor Channel, America's leader in outdoor TV, today announced production is in full swing for the new original Outdoor Channel series, "Elite Tactical Unit: S.W.A.T." Scheduled to premiere in January 2013, this one-hour adrenaline-fueled reality show will take viewers on realistic missions through explosive danger led by officers that serve in this line of duty day in and day out.
Link

I wonder if they will hand pick "good" guys or severely edit the compulsory interviews with contestants to make them appear as sane and healthy rather than hate-filled roid-raging drones?

Will one of the "realistic" scenarios be a no-knock raid on a wrong address? Maybe hopping up and down shooting a non-violent suspect to death? How about a "SWATing" crank call response? Lets not forget the good-ol student loan payments falling behind so we drag your family out into the street in their underwear and turn your home inside out raid. How about a timed run through to shoot as many family pets as you can?

Psychotic monkeys being glamorized on prime-time TV isnt the best part. It isnt even all the wannabe rapists, steroid addicts and other unstable power fiends jacking off while watching it. It's the prize that's the best part:

active-duty U.S. S.W.A.T. officers who are vying for $10,000 for themselves along with cash and prizes valued at more than $100,000 for the S.W.A.T. departments they serve back home.

That's right. Winner gets more money to buy more equipment that they'll have to use to justify their own existence.

edit on 4-9-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The promo said that would happen in 2017. With the way TV reality shows are going, I'm thinking they can't be too far off.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It'll get there.

I used to watch COPS when it first came on in the early 90's.

Back then it was a bunch of good ol' boy type cops and a lot of laughs and letting people go. Even people caught with drugs.

Then as the uniforms got darker blue and eventually black the show became dark as well. Trading laughs for chases. Rather than warnings and letting people go it became tasing and beating.

There was one cop I recall who kept appearing in the Vegas season who would catch addicts and prostitutes but never actually arrested anyone. He drove them to rehabs, brought them to councilors, handed out more cards than citation. He appeared in about a half dozen episodes then disappeared even while his partners stayed on he was gone and the season went from helping hands to chases and beatings.

I can see cops chasing criminals in some Running Man style game not too far off.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

That's right. Winner gets more money to buy more equipment that they'll have to use to justify their own existence.

They dont need the money. The Feds have been funding local police departments for years now but it comes with strings attached.
They have to do things they way the Feds want them done and one of those things was to become more militarized and more oppressive.

And this show would just be another in the long list of shows that condition us to cheer for authority and boo at the bad guy.
We have shows that glorify automobile repossession
Bounty Hunting
So many Cop Reality shows its not even funny
Shows about people buying foreclosed homes, lost storage spaces, pawning things, even one about a guy that actually serves eviction notices.

So yea, I wouldnt doubt if a Running Man or Hunger Games scenario isnt in the not to distant future.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It is to make the public feel like a police state is normal and to be comfortable with it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
yeah Tru Tv
is filled with crap programing
of the likes...

people being entertained
by others misfortune...
whens the paradigm shift

not to derail
but Hunger game
was Running Man meets Lord of the Fly's

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
LOL, "Reality Television"....the greatest misnomer in popular culture today. For a great example of what is Reality TV nowadays, see if you can stomach 30 minutes that comprises the redneck masturbathon known as Lizard Lick Towing. My son watches this for intellectual junk food, and I am merciless in letting him hear about it.

RE: "cop" shows....they are nothing more than propaganda meant to prime the masses to accept a military force enforcing laws. The dystopian future is now. Viva George Orwell.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Don't you love it when they try to tell you that murderers are glamorous?

Don't you enjoy it when MTV or another network puts something on the air that glamorizes violence, hive mentality and then REWARDS these people for enforcing laws that in most cases are nonsense?

What a crock. I'm happy I got rid of TV.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Hunger games next stop?

I am always amazed at how desensatized to violence I am. I see death in the news and on television so much that I would be surprized even I would experience any kind of shock if i was to see real tragedy in person.

Could this be to prepare the masses to see huge home land security tanks roling down the streets with officers in full tactical gear as the norm??

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Hunger games next stop?

I am always amazed at how desensatized to violence I am. I see death in the news and on television so much that I would be surprized even I would experience any kind of shock if i was to see real tragedy in person.

Could this be to prepare the masses to see huge home land security tanks roling down the streets with officers in full tactical gear as the norm??

You beat me to it. I was going to say one step closer to the Hunger Games... I can't even watch the cop shows any more to hear some thug cop moralize to some of their victims while they extort kidnap and jail them...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

They dont need the money. The Feds have been funding local police departments for years now but it comes with strings attached.
They have to do things they way the Feds want them done and one of those things was to become more militarized and more oppressive.

Absolutely correct. We've seen this happening, the DHS orchestrating the violent crackdowns on protesters in the last year.

It's no coincidence that on the same day last year the DHS sent their puppet police into protests in various states at the same time in a coordinated attack, right after each state unilaterally created legislation out of nowhere to criminalize the protests. It's also not a coincidence that this year we saw three different states bringing out the "non-lethal" rounds on the same day in different states.

The DHS and federal government is running the show, and the state police are their foot-soldiers.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

not to derail
but Hunger game
was Running Man meets Lord of the Fly's

not to derail but hunger games is a low brow version of Battle Royal
credit where its due, japanese did the idea much better.

also, tv is about nothing more than social engineering, its like that giant machine built in russia... except we have them in our house and stare at them for hours in a zen like state of brain wave pattern...

edit on 4-9-2012 by okamitengu because: typo.. im not sure what a BRAN WAVE pattern was...?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
the idea of social engineering the masses into normalizing the police state reminds me of the TV show jail, right. Like it's a normal everyday thing for the masses to get locked up. However I would really say that's aimed at like the low-low class that the elites really despite (ghetto trash/welfare recipients/etc
edit on 4-9-2012 by DivineEvolution because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
New cop shows are designed to let us know what the boundaries for police behavior. How they take people down, question and incarcarate them. Every season they become a little more abusive. And we all know what to expect, regardless of the law, which most people are uninformed about anyway.

As far as all the shiny new equipment. Does anyone remember all the announcements in the media whenever they made huge busts of cash and dope in the 80's and 90's? Yards of money and coke or pot. The drugs were burned and the money ...?

Went to all new toys I bet. Notice the big hauls of dough made by police aren't mentioned anymore? Just sort of disappeared.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
We will not only accept our own enslavement,
we will DEMAND it!

People are afraid.
They fear everything that moves nowadays.
But more than anything, they fear freedom.
With freedom comes responsibility, and we live in an age where EVERYTHING is someone elses fault and responsibility.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
" this one-hour adrenaline-fueled reality show will take viewers on realistic missions "

key word realistic...which pretty much means they are going to cherry pick ones that show swat in a good light lol, you wont be seeing any grandmothers wrestled to floors, or mr john doe getting shot in face for answering his door , you wont see kids handcuffed to staircases, dogs shot in front of family members,

nope , what well see is the "reasons" why swat is F'D up... you will see hard drug dealers, weapons dealers, maybe even the crazy lone gun man,,,,,,,,, that way when they shoot a mom in the back in her own back yard and they were in wrong backyard to begin with, people can say, well i heard that crazy story about so and so, but can you blame them, look at all the BRAVE stuff they do,,, rofl

that show will be for roid users and tools,,, oh and of course other department will watch it as well lol

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Here's the thing....

If you get raided and it's swat, then you want to be on the tv show! Cuz that reality has to be tame enough for tv. So essencially they won't pull a rodney king, or stagged killing.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Not only cherry picked missions, but realistic is a term describing inaginary missions ....come on people if YOU WATCH TV your half screwed wether you know it or not.......this stuff goes into users head anyway......
get off the boob toob!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I used to watch COPS when it first came on in the early 90's.

Back then it was a bunch of good ol' boy type cops and a lot of laughs and letting people go. Even people caught with drugs.

I don't know. I've been watching cops for along time but then again I'm young.....I don't remember them letting anyone that had drugs go. They're on camera, I find it hard to believe.

Cops have always been horrible. Please stop with the "good ol dayys" mindset.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Preparing the masses to inflict slavery upon themselves,

to protect themselves,

from themselves.

Every jurisdiction in this fine country has a S.W.A.T., why?

If not to be prepared to use it on their own citizens?

Being a veteran puts you on the short list for swat invasion should you ever have a search warrant issued for

your residence. No other prerequisite required, just your service to this country.

We have long since lost this country, the elite will keep us under thumb for as long as we allow it.

I hope all of you that can recite the names of all of these corporate funded movies and tv shows are at least

spending some of your time reading..

what use is "The Hunger Games"? What use are all these tv shows?

People really need to take a look at how they view reality.

In my opinion, SWAT and Hunger Games are 2 different means to the same ways. Desensitizing you to the idea

that you are a hardcore threat. ~The hardcore threat you are perceived to be~ by your own gov't.

~Rev

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join